Author Topic: Uh oh.. Suns may go after Smart  (Read 5491 times)

Uh oh.. Suns may go after Smart
« on: June 24, 2018, 05:44:37 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Look for Phoenix to maximize its cap room by shedding some unwanted salary, Bordow writes, with free agents Elfrid Payton and Alex Len both likely to be renounced. Payton’s performance was uneven after coming to the Suns in a midseason trade and he carries a $10MM cap hold. Len became expendable with the addition of No. 1 pick Deandre Ayton.

Those moves would give the team about $10MM for the free agent market, but the Suns are thinking bigger. Bordow expects them to cut ties with center Alan Williams, who has a non-guaranteed $5.52MM salary for next season. They may try to re-sign him or trade him to a team that can afford him more easily.

Other non-guaranteed contracts that might get discarded belong to Tyler Ulis ($1.54MM) and Shaquille Harrison ($1.38MM), while Davon Reed has a $1.38MM deal with a $689,212 guarantee. The deadline to decide on Ulis’ deal is tomorrow.

With up to $20MM available to chase free agents, Phoenix will focus on finding a point guard and a power forward who can defend and shoot from the outside.

Bordow lists the Clippers’ Patrick Beverley, the Celtics’ Marcus Smart, the Bulls’ Zach LaVine, the Raptors’ Fred VanVleet and the Jazz’ Dante Exum as potential backcourt targets, while Utah’s Derrick Favors, Houston’s Trevor Ariza or Luc Mbah a Moute, Milwaukee’s Jabari Parker, Indiana’s Thaddeus Young, San Antonio’s Rudy Gay or Philadelphia’s Ersan Ilyasova could fit the four spot. If the Suns find a power forward, Bordow expects them to explore trading either Dragan Bender or Marquese Chriss.

Interesting that they are looking to get rid of Bender/Chriss, and renouncing Payton's rights.

I think they are certainly on the path of trying to get the versatile team. I love it.

Just hope Smart decides to stay for the championship and not the money.

:-X :P :-[
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

Re: Uh oh.. Suns may go after Smart
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2018, 05:56:47 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Anything about Danuel House? If Phoenix isn't interested in retaining him, perhaps Boston should go out and get the former Aggie so as to possibly help Robert Williams with the transition to the NBA, etc., idk :-\.

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2018, 06:07:50 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
Anything about Danuel House? If Phoenix isn't interested in retaining him, perhaps Boston should go out and get the former Aggie so as to possibly help Robert Williams with the transition to the NBA, etc., idk :-\.

Pretty sure he's still signed as a two-way contract, but I could be wrong.

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2018, 10:20:25 AM »

Offline Mike Pemulis

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 38
There are at least 2 blue-check verified twitter accounts that speculate that a trade is coming today. Take it for what it's worth - they're probably just looking for followers, but...

The first I saw was @RadioTimNBA. He is followed by Slam Magazine and lists himself as a radio personality and Suns podcaster. His tweet was:
"There is a 'big' Suns trade coming..."
I kind of thought, so what.

Then I saw the account @Espo. He is followed by Slam, Real GM, The Starters, Shaq, IT. He lists himself as a "former voice of @Suns social." His tweet was:
"The first move of free agency is coming tomorrow morning ..."
He ran a poll asking "If you’re the Suns do you help Kawhi land in LA if you can land assets even if it means LeBron winds up with the Lakers too?"
Allston, MA --> Enfield Tennis Academy

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2018, 10:24:41 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
There are at least 2 blue-check verified twitter accounts that speculate that a trade is coming today. Take it for what it's worth - they're probably just looking for followers, but...

The first I saw was @RadioTimNBA. He is followed by Slam Magazine and lists himself as a radio personality and Suns podcaster. His tweet was:

Then I saw the account @Espo. He is followed by Slam, Real GM, The Starters, Shaq, IT. He lists himself as a "former voice of @Suns social." His tweet was:
He ran a poll asking "If you’re the Suns do you help Kawhi land in LA if you can land assets even if it means LeBron winds up with the Lakers too?"

But I don't think any trade can happen involving Smart today. Needs to wait until July 1, right?
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2018, 10:25:11 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Pretty sure he's still signed as a two-way contract, but I could be wrong.

Crossing my fingers he is.

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2018, 10:25:21 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Phoenix was always going to be a player for Smart.  He is the perfect compliment to Booker and fits right in with Jackson and now Ayton. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2018, 10:25:56 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas

Ugh... Doesn't bode too well for my stomach... I'll be sick if Smart goes to Suns..

Smart
Booker
Bridges
Jackson/ (I think he's going to play small ball 4 in their system more.) Bender/Chriss
Ayton

That is a young team with the potential to eventually become great.

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2018, 10:30:24 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
My hope is the Suns trade the pick they got from Milwaukee for Bledsoe to the Lakers for Ball, as the Lakers clear max cap room for both LeBron and PG13.  I’ve nervously watched the Suns as a potential Smart destination.  I also want Lonzo and Lavar out of a major media market.  (And I think on-court he’s actually be a very good fit for Phoenix.)

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2018, 10:44:02 AM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
Let him go..plenty of others out there who r cheaper and better shooters
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2018, 10:52:54 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
My hope is the Suns trade the pick they got from Milwaukee for Bledsoe to the Lakers for Ball, as the Lakers clear max cap room for both LeBron and PG13.  I’ve nervously watched the Suns as a potential Smart destination.  I also want Lonzo and Lavar out of a major media market.  (And I think on-court he’s actually be a very good fit for Phoenix.)

I like this idea on many levels.
Lonzo to Phoenix is mutually beneficial.
Lonzo (and Lavar) out of LA is good for the NBA.
LeBron out of the East is good for the Cs.
LeBron + PG13 in LA will help keep the Warriors in check.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2018, 10:57:21 AM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
Let him go..plenty of others out there who r cheaper and better shooters

Indeed. By your metric, we should just bring back James Young. Problem solved!

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2018, 10:59:24 AM »

Offline Grindfather

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 61
  • First Team All-Defense

This is the best scenario for all involved, so it will obviously never happen.

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2018, 11:06:34 AM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
The trade will be for a veteran frontcourt player from Cleveland who we once wanted here. The Cavs are over.

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2018, 11:07:03 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I can't imagine coming off of a 10/7/7 rookie season, Ball's value is so low that a mid 1st round pick is all he is worth.  I get the larger idea of clearing cap room, but still that seems way to low.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip