Author Topic: Celtics explored moving up for Michael Porter Jr, then moving up for Williams  (Read 2668 times)

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Per @BrianTRobb on @985TheSportsHub today, the #Celtics did in fact explore trading up for Michael Porter, Jr on Draft Night.

The C’s also considered moving up for Robert Williams before gambling he’d fall to No. 27, which he obviously did.
https://twitter.com/AdamMKaufman/status/1010569431439888384

Gambler Danny got one of his guys without trading
« Last Edit: June 24, 2018, 12:43:16 AM by CelticsElite »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Not surprised, MPJ is mine, and Ainge's binkie. I think within a full year of recovery, and the necessary conditioning to ensure his body holds up, he'll be very fun to watch in a few years.

His health can be very worrisome, but that is just how it is. Taking a flier on a guy projected to be top 7 lottery pick, ended up falling into the 14th pick. It's a no brainier, just like Williams. They pan out, or they don't.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Glad we didn't get MPJ. Don't think his game will translate as well as others do, and I don't want any part of that back
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Glad we didn't get MPJ. Don't think his game will translate as well as others do, and I don't want any part of that back
I think he has hip problems too

The spasms he had during workouts was not due to the back but the hips

Offline Scintan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 656
I would have loved a gamble on Porter.  Then again, I was all for gambling on Oden, too.   :(

When people are free to do as they please, they usually imitate each other.

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I think within a full year of recovery, and the necessary conditioning to ensure his body holds up, he'll be very fun to watch in a few years.

I think Ainge is an opportunist and the guy dropped and that is why he tried to get him.   I think that he will struggle some because back injuries are brutal and he is not very athletic and can't jump that well.

Offline slightly biased bias fan

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 310
Per @BrianTRobb on @985TheSportsHub today, the #Celtics did in fact explore trading up for Michael Porter, Jr on Draft Night.

The C’s also considered moving up for Robert Williams before gambling he’d fall to No. 27, which he obviously did.

I think that Porter is going to have real problems, he has had the same back surgery that Steve Kerr has been struggling with and finished Tiger's career. I think the most pertinent fact is that Jerry West and Steve Ballmer have been in love with Porter since High School had two chances to take Porter and passed both times, I'd say the doctors reports say do not draft this guy.

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

I think that Porter is going to have real problems, he has had the same back surgery that Steve Kerr has been struggling with and finished Tiger's career. I think the most pertinent fact is that Jerry West and Steve Ballmer have been in love with Porter since High School had two chances to take Porter and passed both times, I'd say the doctors reports say do not draft this guy.
Yeah, LAC passing on him twice is incredibly [dang]ing
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

Offline slightly biased bias fan

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 310

Yeah, LAC passing on him twice is incredibly [dang]ing

Jerry West has been a drafting savant for close to 40 years and is responsible for 6 Lakers titles and was one of the major factors in constructing the Warriors championships, convincing the GM not to trade Thompson for Love and convincing Durant to come to Oakland, if he passes on a risky player twice there is serious reason why.

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Wezt was the IQ for that organization.

if he d stayed there they would be up on us by three rings at least .