Author Topic: Williams is already a better prospect than Capela or Jordan was  (Read 4564 times)

Re: Williams is already a better prospect than Capela or Jordan was
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2018, 10:25:10 AM »

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • The voice of reason
There's a lot wrong with his jump shot, but honestly I think the same could be said about most bigs in the NBA. Even KG didn't have a perfect shooting form. It still went in. Reggie Miller had a terrible flaw with his non shooting hand at the top of the ball instead of the side. He's one of the greatest shooters of all time. As long as the ball goes in, it doesn't really matter if it's textbook or not.

« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2018, 10:41:41 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25640
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
There's a lot wrong with his jump shot, but honestly I think the same could be said about most bigs in the NBA. Even KG didn't have a perfect shooting form. It still went in. Reggie Miller had a terrible flaw with his non shooting hand at the top of the ball instead of the side. He's one of the greatest shooters of all time. As long as the ball goes in, it doesn't really matter if it's textbook or not.

This is true.

But, here we have a guy where the jump shots and FTs apparently don’t go in.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2018, 11:05:33 AM »

Offline MaxAMillion

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 16
He can't shoot and has a questionable motor. I don't see how that makes him a better prospect than Jordan or Capela. Sure there is a lot of potential there, but it will take a great deal of work for Williams and none of us know if he has the maturity to do it.

Williams was a good pick at 27 because of his upside, but I don't ever expect him to be more than a rotational piece (that is certainly good enough from a pick that late).

« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2018, 12:21:44 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
-Not exactly a great shooter, but Williams can also hit mid-range shots occasionally. His mechanics doesn't look broken either. The 2 can't also score outside the painted area

Holy homerism batman!

Prove me wrong. Can both Capela and DJ hit mid-range shots? I rarely see either of them spot up some mid-range shots if there's any.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVr6qln44cQ&t=1s

Skip to 5:35 and you can see him hitting long range jumpers consistently in the shootaround. He maybe raw, but he's not one-dimensional offensively.
Are we SERIOUSLY using practice to prove a guy can shoot?!?  Seriously?  That’s about as meaningless as it gets.
holy crap everybody!!! we have allen iverson as a member of celticblog!!!!
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2018, 08:09:23 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Not sure as to which gif to use, here, so I'll just post them both ;D -

You're taking my post way out of context. I said he's a better prospect, not better player. I don't know what you find wrong about my post.

Perhaps, albeit inadvertently, setting unrealistic expectations? :-\

« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2018, 08:43:56 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
-Not exactly a great shooter, but Williams can also hit mid-range shots occasionally. His mechanics doesn't look broken either. The 2 can't also score outside the painted area

Holy homerism batman!

Prove me wrong. Can both Capela and DJ hit mid-range shots? I rarely see either of them spot up some mid-range shots if there's any.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVr6qln44cQ&t=1s

Skip to 5:35 and you can see him hitting long range jumpers consistently in the shootaround. He maybe raw, but he's not one-dimensional offensively.
Are we SERIOUSLY using practice to prove a guy can shoot?!?  Seriously?  That’s about as meaningless as it gets.
holy crap everybody!!! we have allen iverson as a member of celticblog!!!!
https://youtu.be/KrkY6IhTd-4

https://youtu.be/Wejko7S3is0

« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2018, 08:58:06 PM »

Offline Ed Hollison

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 195
Plenty of guys can't shoot at age 20. But what you also look for is whether or not the basis for a decent jump shot is there, and in this case it most certainly is.

Even if he never shoots a jump sho in his whole pro career, he can still effectively space the floor by rolling to the rim as a threat to finish lobs and sucking defenders off of shooters on the perimeter. After all that's the primary offensive skill for Jordan and Capela and they are both valuable on offense.
"A thought of hatred must be destroyed by a more powerful thought of love."

http://fruittreeblog.com

« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2018, 09:25:03 PM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
Ok, how about this comp......6'7" 235

College stats:19.0 ppg, 6.9 rpg, 1.5 apg, 1.4 tpg, 34.1 mpg, .487 FG, .424 3PT, .785 FT

Pro stats: 2.7 ppg, 2.2 rpg, .3 apg, .3 tpg, 15.45 mpg, .346 FG, .320 3PT, .610 FT

In the above season, he attempted 188 field goals in 1150 minutes of play.

Still holds a couple of scoring records at his college.

Ojeleye and Williams are very different players who essentially, play different positions, but, Semi absolutely filled it up in college. Mr. Williams never filled up anything.

G league might be good for Williams as all they do is shoot.  Sure, Kendrick Perkins was a great fit with the Celtics because he was on the court with three HOF shooters and All Robert Williams needs to do is impress Brad Stevens enough to get minutes before the other guys.

We can speculate, but, Robert Williams is going to have to play really hard and really want it to get minutes. Theis doesn't have anything close to William's athleticism and, without injury, would have had 8th or 9th most minutes of any Celtics player in the playoffs.

I hope he's really good. The SL lineup is going to have the most monstrous frontcourt ever.

The Bear, The Semi, The new guy

« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2018, 09:32:18 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25640
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Ojeleye and Williams are very different players who essentially, play different positions, but, Semi absolutely filled it up in college. Mr. Williams never filled up anything.

Williams filled up the stat sheet on the defensive end. He led the SEC in rebounding and blocks.

I don’t care if the kid never scores a basket outside five feet.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2018, 09:34:10 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Williams filled up the stat sheet on the defensive end. He led the SEC in rebounding and blocks.

I don’t care if the kid never scores a basket outside five feet.

I’d be a little annoyed if he never made a free throw...

« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2018, 09:41:22 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Ok, how about this comp......6'7" 235

College stats:19.0 ppg, 6.9 rpg, 1.5 apg, 1.4 tpg, 34.1 mpg, .487 FG, .424 3PT, .785 FT

Pro stats: 2.7 ppg, 2.2 rpg, .3 apg, .3 tpg, 15.45 mpg, .346 FG, .320 3PT, .610 FT

In the above season, he attempted 188 field goals in 1150 minutes of play.

Still holds a couple of scoring records at his college.

G league might be good for Williams as all they do is shoot.  Sure, Kendrick Perkins was a great fit with the Celtics because he was on the court with three HOF shooters and All Robert Williams needs to do is impress Brad Stevens enough to get minutes before the other guys.

We can speculate, but, Robert Williams is going to have to play really hard and really want it to get minutes. Theis doesn't have anything close to William's athleticism and, without injury, would have had 8th or 9th most minutes of any Celtics player in the playoffs.

I hope he's really good. The SL lineup is going to have the most monstrous frontcourt ever.

The Bear, The Semi, The new guy

Don't you think it's a little unfair to compare the both, since Semi Ojelye was 22, when he got drafted, plus initially in his first two years on the Duke roster, he barely saw any minutes averaging a combined 7.2 MPG?

"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2018, 10:25:19 PM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked

So, to recap, your signature is basically just you complaining about DA not valuing rebounding.

Then DA drafts the best rebounding option possible, maybe the guy with the best rebounding upside he’s ever picked, and you’re complaining about it more than any other Celtics fan.

Then just for reference, Alkins the guy you wanted at #28 went undrafted, and your big man binkie Patton is an awful rebounder compared to a Williams.

Seems like you don’t want to update your views on Williams, so maybe it’s time to update the sig?
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2018, 10:36:06 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

So, to recap, your signature is basically just you complaining about DA not valuing rebounding.

Then DA drafts the best rebounding option possible, maybe the guy with the best rebounding upside he’s ever picked, and you’re complaining about it more than any other Celtics fan.

Then just for reference, Alkins the guy you wanted at #28 went undrafted, and your big man binkie Patton is an awful rebounder compared to a Williams.

Seems like you don’t want to update your views on Williams, so maybe it’s time to update the sig?
Danny Ainge doesn’t properly value guards with no recognisable NBA skills would be more appropriate now
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2018, 10:39:34 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

Is it possible to get 10 TP's off a single post?

KO!

« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2018, 11:20:42 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

TP