Author Topic: maturity issues or medical issues  (Read 11614 times)

Re: maturity issues or medical issues
« Reply #45 on: June 22, 2018, 04:59:29 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Robert williams overslept

All over espn

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/23874911/robert-williams-boston-celtics-1st-round-pick-sleeps-call-team
Absolutely do not care.  I missed my last college final.  I've missed telecons due to time zone differences.  Stuff like that happens and it really doesn't matter.  He participated in the call and answered the questions like you'd want him to do.
Maybe, but when you miss the combine, miss draft night, and miss your originally scheduled conference call, the optics aren't great.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #46 on: June 22, 2018, 05:02:28 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
More Chris Forsberg Retweeted Chris Forsberg
Celtics not concerned, appears a simple miscommunication. But a fun start to the Robert Williams era nonetheless.Chris Forsberg added,

Hopefully this.
But maybe not. He just seems like he has a habit of blowing off things:

* Blew off the combine (was supposed to be there but was didn't show)
* No-show at the draft (only first rounder that wasn't there?)
* Blew off the conference call with the team that drafted him.

He was also suspended for 2 games by his team, and only started 40 of the 61 games he played. It just isn't a great look for someone who supposedly has lottery talent.

This guy is getting better all the time ::).

« Reply #47 on: June 22, 2018, 05:04:53 PM »

Offline vl819

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 19
Both

« Reply #48 on: June 22, 2018, 05:11:58 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
This guy is getting better all the time ::)
Just send someone to make sure he's not going to miss the plane next week when he's supposed to report to Boston.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #49 on: June 22, 2018, 05:44:55 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
More Chris Forsberg Retweeted Chris Forsberg
Celtics not concerned, appears a simple miscommunication. But a fun start to the Robert Williams era nonetheless.Chris Forsberg added,

Hopefully this.
But maybe not. He just seems like he has a habit of blowing off things:

* Blew off the combine (was supposed to be there but was didn't show)
* No-show at the draft (only first rounder that wasn't there?)
* Blew off the conference call with the team that drafted him.

He was also suspended for 2 games by his team, and only started 40 of the 61 games he played. It just isn't a great look for someone who supposedly has lottery talent.
Robert Williams was not supposed to be at the NBA combine.  Here's a story two weeks before the combine indicating he like a lot of the top prospects were skipping the combine.  The agent generally decides whether the prospect should attend and how much they should do. 
https://sports.yahoo.com/complete-2018-nba-draft-combine-list-211843026.html 

There is no obligation to show up at the draft.  I like Williams even more for staying home and watching it with his family.  Considering how he dropped, it was a smart decision optically. 

He didn't blow off the conference call.  He overslept and it sounds like the team's communication was partially at fault. 

Williams did get suspended for an exhibition game and the 1st two regular season games.  Most definitely not good.  However the situation at Texas A&M was bad with several teammates getting suspended during the season including 1 getting dismissed from the team.

Don't know why you brought up his only starting 40 of 61 games.  Texas A&M was a very poor fitting collection of players.  The coach sometimes tried bringing Williams off the bench to offset Williams and Davis playing together. 

« Reply #50 on: June 22, 2018, 05:51:04 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji
This guy is getting better all the time ::)
Just send someone to make sure he's not going to miss the plane next week when he's supposed to report to Boston.

I believe that we have ourselves a new "Uncle Snooze" ::).

Edit: LOL ;D -

https://twitter.com/celtics/status/1010281279730999297
« Last Edit: June 22, 2018, 06:06:16 PM by Beat LA »

« Reply #51 on: June 22, 2018, 06:14:34 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
Robert Williams was not supposed to be at the NBA combine.  Here's a story two weeks before the combine indicating he like a lot of the top prospects were skipping the combine.  The agent generally decides whether the prospect should attend and how much they should do. 

Sure. I just know that he didn't do the combine and that hurt his stock because some GMs hoped to see him there. There's obviously no obligation, but unless you're a known no-miss prospect, not showing up at the combine is construed as having something to hide. Moreover, some players show up even if they don't plan to participate in the drills just to do sitdowns with teams.

There is no obligation to show up at the draft.  I like Williams even more for staying home and watching it with his family.  Considering how he dropped, it was a smart decision optically.

No, but many players do. Those projected to go in the lottery certainly do. I thought his absence was unusual.

He didn't blow off the conference call.  He overslept and it sounds like the team's communication was partially at fault.
"Dog ate my homework" excuse. Means you didn't care enough to make sure you're up and available. Set as many alarm clocks as you need, tell everyone in the house to wake you up, go to bed on time. It's all within your control if you care enough.

Williams did get suspended for an exhibition game and the 1st two regular season games.  Most definitely not good.  However the situation at Texas A&M was bad with several teammates getting suspended during the season including 1 getting dismissed from the team.
I'm surprised no details have come out. Maybe it's just nothing, but in the context of all the other eyebrow-raisers it doesn't help.

Don't know why you brought up his only starting 40 of 61 games.  Texas A&M was a very poor fitting collection of players.  The coach sometimes tried bringing Williams off the bench to offset Williams and Davis playing together.
Mostly because I think that if you're such a great talent then you're a mortal lock for the starting lineup, and everything else gets adjusted around you. But that's conjecture. Again, like everything else, it might amount to nothing in the end, but all of these are obvious red flags at this point.

« Reply #52 on: June 22, 2018, 06:52:21 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
I think people are over reacting a bit. So maybe he had a few and went to bed late and forgot to set his alarm. Not the end of the world.

We don't know his home life, his life on the college front. Maybe he had no mentors to look up to, some one to steer him straight. That could lead to all sorts of immaturity problems.

But one of the first things he said was Kyrie Irving!!!! So he's going to a team with a guy he looks up to. Also mentioned Horford. Two vets like that taking him under their wings can set a guy straight.

DA can also set him straight from a business stand point. Show him what his first check will look like. Tell him if he does A,B,C, in a few years that check amount gets bigger, if he doesn't do A,B, and C, (he rips up the check).

I new a kid in highschool that  was constantly in trouble. Watched him pick up a kid and slam him into the table and beat his butt. A few years later I ran into him, he was a contractor. In the off season he went to Haiti to build houses, and in the summer he would fly out a few of the better workers that he worked with to be part of his crew so they could make money to send back to their families. Complete  180 in a few years.

Heres the thing, he's the 27th pick. If it clicks for him, and he gets it, what a steal. If it doens't click and he doens't grow up with having a good support system in place. He's the 27th pick on a already REALLY good team.

« Reply #53 on: June 22, 2018, 06:59:31 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji
Long road ahead for this young man.  Hope he's up for it.

Lol, TP ;D. #ISeeWhatYouDidThere

« Reply #54 on: June 22, 2018, 07:07:37 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

Sure. I just know that he didn't do the combine and that hurt his stock because some GMs hoped to see him there. There's obviously no obligation, but unless you're a known no-miss prospect, not showing up at the combine is construed as having something to hide. Moreover, some players show up even if they don't plan to participate in the drills just to do sitdowns with teams.

No, but many players do. Those projected to go in the lottery certainly do. I thought his absence was unusual.

"Dog ate my homework" excuse. Means you didn't care enough to make sure you're up and available. Set as many alarm clocks as you need, tell everyone in the house to wake you up, go to bed on time. It's all within your control if you care enough.

I'm surprised no details have come out. Maybe it's just nothing, but in the context of all the other eyebrow-raisers it doesn't help.

Mostly because I think that if you're such a great talent then you're a mortal lock for the starting lineup, and everything else gets adjusted around you. But that's conjecture. Again, like everything else, it might amount to nothing in the end, but all of these are obvious red flags at this point.
I think you're color blind.  Those flags are not even pink.  Williams is a late bloomer not some great talent that was projected to be an NBA player since he was 12.  He was #64 on the RSCI rankings for the 2016 high school class.  He wasn't a projected one-and-done lottery pick so his freshman performance was to a degree a breakout season.  Williams is an intriguing raw project but he's also a two time SEC defensive player of the year. 
http://www.draftexpress.com/RSCI/2016/ 

Here's a story on the Texas A&M suspensions.  Just says he was suspended for violating A&M policy.  Clearly wasn't anything too bad and it was only once unlike some of his teammates.   
https://www.theeagle.com/aggie_sports/texas-a-m-basketball-team-dismisses-caldwell-suspends-chandler/article_24f57b2e-0f84-11e8-819c-1b29ae93ee4c.html

« Reply #55 on: June 22, 2018, 07:11:43 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Gary Washburn: Robert Williams on being drafted by the #Celtics “I prayed before the draft and I asked God, just place me where you need me to be, wherever I fit. Like, I said it’s a great organization.”
« Last Edit: June 22, 2018, 07:54:46 PM by Chris22 »

« Reply #56 on: June 22, 2018, 07:18:22 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
Here's a story on the Texas A&M suspensions.  Just says he was suspended for violating A&M policy.  Clearly wasn't anything too bad and it was only once unlike some of his teammates.   
https://www.theeagle.com/aggie_sports/texas-a-m-basketball-team-dismisses-caldwell-suspends-chandler/article_24f57b2e-0f84-11e8-819c-1b29ae93ee4c.html
I may be color blind, it's delusional think a 2-game suspension for a college athlete who has their whole world in college designed so that they can skirt the rules "wasn't anything too bad". If it wasn't anything too bad, we'd know what it was.

« Reply #57 on: June 22, 2018, 07:53:17 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Robert Williams on falling in the draft: I just always tell myself that nothing is guaranteed. … Going in with an open mind, focus, soak up everything I can. Al Horford is a great vet. He’s a guy I’m happy to be around.

« Reply #58 on: June 22, 2018, 08:35:26 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I may be color blind, it's delusional think a 2-game suspension for a college athlete who has their whole world in college designed so that they can skirt the rules "wasn't anything too bad". If it wasn't anything too bad, we'd know what it was.

I think the assumption is that it was MJ.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #59 on: June 22, 2018, 08:45:20 PM »

Offline Emmette Bryant

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 286
https://www.si.com/nba/2018/06/22/nba-draft-2018-surprises-luka-doncic-trae-young-michael-porter-jr

(Williams)  fit in Boston is strong and will give him a terrific opportunity to tap into his full potential. He has the physical ability and basketball talent to become a highly valuable player, and while he’s frequently been compared to Clint Capela, Williams may actually be more athletic and has a stronger feel for the game at the same age. That’s not to say that means anything, of course, but the profile is there. The biggest knock on him has been his consistency, which he has publicly acknowledged as an area of improvement. You’ll find few NBA coaches who have the patience for young bigs that don’t play hard on a consistent basis, and Williams hasn’t done enough yet to earn the benefit of the doubt in that regard.

According to league sources, Williams’s fall in the draft didn’t stem as much from his recurring knee soreness and lower back stiffness as it did from background work. Some teams were not impressed with Williams in interviews, and a string of questionable decisions raised further concerns based on the intel they had. Williams served a suspension for violating team policy at Texas A&M to open this season, chose to skip this year’s draft combine entirely, decided to fire agent Mike Silverman in favor of BDA Sports Management with a month to go until the draft, and did little to assuage concerns in the minds of many front offices. The Celtics, to their credit, have the ideal infrastructure in place to bring Williams along and help him adjust to life as a professional. His selection at No. 27 may prove a coup for player and team alike.