Author Topic: Williams vs Ayton (full game)  (Read 8929 times)

Re: Williams vs Ayton (full game)
« Reply #45 on: June 23, 2018, 09:09:06 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I also watched highlights. The dunks and blocks were impressive, but it's the other plays that tell you a story.

One of the highlights that stood out to me was at 3:18. The ball handling, timing, and long strides were unnatural for a big man. I was impressed with that move and wondered what he might look like in space.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwMuMY73Tgo

They make space suits that large ;) ;D?

Hey Beat LA, isn't Williams better and considered to have the higher ceiling than your allergic to rebounding non-shotblocking binkie Patton?

Non-shotblocking ::)? I don't know about the rest, but at least Patton has considerably more skill with the motor and work ethic to succeed, among other things, imo.

Yeah, non-shotblocking. I'd expect you to know more about a guy you're always hyping up than you do. BTW, if Patton has such a great motor then it's cause for concern that he still can't rebound or block shots.

Patton
College   -    MPG 25.3 - RPG 6.2 - BPG 1.4
GLeague -    MPG 23.2 - RPG 5.4 - BPG 1.3

Olynyk 
College   -    MPG 26.4 - RPG 7.3 - BPG 1.1

Williams
College (yr 1) - MPG 25.8 - RPG 8.2 - BPG 2.5
College (yr 2) - MPG 25.6 - RPG 9.2 - BPG 2.6

So as you can clearly see, Patton blocks shots and rebounds at a Olynyk type level, which is ironic since you've always made fun of Olynyk for his rebounding and shotblocking inability. Yet, you love Patton. It just doesn't make any sense.

Motor, imo, isn't just about rebounding and blocking shots - it also pertains to a player's all-around effort, which Patton has already demonstrated, and especially defensively, in spades.

I'm going to ask this as nicely as I possibly can - have you ever seen Patton
So... it’s subjective?

The same question can be asked of you about Williams, considering how much you’re crapping on the pick.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #46 on: June 23, 2018, 09:50:13 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
I also watched highlights. The dunks and blocks were impressive, but it's the other plays that tell you a story.

One of the highlights that stood out to me was at 3:18. The ball handling, timing, and long strides were unnatural for a big man. I was impressed with that move and wondered what he might look like in space.

Hey Beat LA, isn't Williams better and considered to have the higher ceiling than your allergic to rebounding non-shotblocking binkie Patton?

Non-shotblocking ::)? I don't know about the rest, but at least Patton has considerably more skill with the motor and work ethic to succeed, among other things, imo.

Yeah, non-shotblocking. I'd expect you to know more about a guy you're always hyping up than you do. BTW, if Patton has such a great motor then it's cause for concern that he still can't rebound or block shots.

Patton

Olynyk 

Williams

So as you can clearly see, Patton blocks shots and rebounds at a Olynyk type level, which is ironic since you've always made fun of Olynyk for his rebounding and shotblocking inability. Yet, you love Patton. It just doesn't make any sense.

Motor, imo, isn't just about rebounding and blocking shots - it also pertains to a player's all-around effort, which Patton has already demonstrated, and especially defensively, in spades.

I'm going to ask this as nicely as I possibly can - have you ever seen Patton play?
So... it’s subjective?

The same question can be asked of you about Williams, considering how much you’re crapping on the pick.

In terms of as to who you regard as being the better player? Yes, obviously.

« Reply #47 on: June 23, 2018, 10:00:53 PM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked

Patton

Olynyk 

Williams

I'm going to ask this as nicely as I possibly can - have you ever seen Patton play?
So... it’s subjective?

Right, but since the guys you often trumpet tend to go undrafted or end up in the G League, you can probably guess why your dissenting opinion on an athletic freak with NBA skills isn’t well received.
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #48 on: June 23, 2018, 10:09:51 PM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked

Patton

Olynyk 

Williams

So... it’s subjective?

To be clear, I think you’re a smart poster and you add to the board, and I also think you’re right to be wary of prospects with motor concerns.

But if a kid can put up 12-8-1.4 and 2.7 blocks as a freshman in a bad system, he either doesn’t have real motor concerns, or you grab him and don’t look back because if you can fix his ‘motor’ then there’s a good chance you’ll have drafted an all star at #27.
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #49 on: June 23, 2018, 10:27:31 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Givony-
The biggest question NBA teams have about Patton revolves around his toughness, awareness and fundamentals as a rebounder and defender -

So he lacks toughness too according to Givony. 

« Reply #50 on: June 24, 2018, 01:05:12 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Right, but since the guys you often trumpet tend to go undrafted or end up in the G League, you can probably guess why your dissenting opinion on an athletic freak with NBA skills isn’t well received.

I don't agree with this at all, primarily because it always depends on the location of our draft pick(s). Yes, I was wrong about Jaylen Brown, and have no problem admitting it, btw, but if you go back and look at the guys who I liked in terms of our other first rounders, etc., that year, they've actually become pretty good players, while the vast majority of the rest of the undrafted dudes have at least gotten a chance to play in the NBA, although, again, that's probably nothing more than sheer dumb luck on my part, lol ;D :-\.

Whatever. I've always been the one guy out of one hundred people, for example, who looks at things in a completely different fashion than everyone else, so this is nothing new, to me, lol ;D. Actually, it's really annoying, to be honest ;D, as it's certainly not my intention, nor am I any kind of contrarian, but it's fine. Don't worry about it.

Unrelated: I've been meaning to ask you, btw - who or what is "Sexyscottish"? Is this some kind of Outlander reference, lol ;D?

To be clear, I think you’re a smart poster and you add to the board, and I also think you’re right to be wary of prospects with motor concerns.

But if a kid can put up 12-8-1.4 and 2.7 blocks as a freshman in a bad system, he either doesn’t have real motor concerns, or you grab him and don’t look back because if you can fix his ‘motor’ then there’s a good chance you’ll have drafted an all star at #27.

Hey thanks :). I like you, too, haha ;D, and I understand as to what you're saying, but I can only go off of the information that is available to the average bear ;) ;D, and as a result I just don't believe that you can teach someone how to work and/or improve their motor.

To me, those are simply inherent traits, and expecting the coaching staff, etc., to be be able to fix it just isn't a realistic, well, expectation, imo. Look at James Young, for example. Here's a guy who, admittedly, at the time of the pick I actually wanted, although as soon as he was drafted I had a terrible feeling that we had made a huge mistake and that Rodney Hood would come back to haunt us, and, like Gerald Green, before him, not to mention Williams, now, was supposed to be a lottery pick but for some reason had slipped on draft day; and why was that? Well, and as I subsequently learned, Young had not only gotten into a car accident prior to the draft ::), but had also been flagged for having a poor work ethic by Kentucky fans, and remember, this was a guy who was taken in the very same draft as Smart and was around the latter throughout summer leagues and good chunks of the years in which they were teammates, and yet none of Smart's fire and/or "being in his ear" ever resulted in Young working harder or even giving more effort while he was on the court, so if Smart is still on the team, next year, why should I realistically expect the result to be any different for Williams?

Now, does all of that mean that I am rooting for this guy to fail? Of course not. I want to see him succeed and become, at the very least, a solid contributor for years to, well, come, but what frustrates me is that Ainge keeps making the same mistakes in regards to draft picks, and I just don't have time for someone who isn't going to work hard. Period.

Actually, I probably shouldn't care, at all, since it's certainly not my money nor my job to worry about such matters, but I do because fandom, lol ;D.

Givony-
The biggest question NBA teams have about Patton revolves around his toughness, awareness and fundamentals as a rebounder and defender -

So he lacks toughness too according to Givony.

Physically, yes, hence the reason for Patton having added noticeable bulk to his frame over the last year, but I disagree with Givony when it comes to fundamentals insofar as rebounding is concerned, as one of the things that I love about Patton is that unlike most big men out there, the guy actually keeps the ball high as opposed to bringing it down, for the most part.

Now, does that mean that he's a perfect player? Of course not, but he's a hard worker with a great skillset and your typical late-bloomer, with really the only similarity with Nolynyk being that both guys grew up playing as point guards. One of the principal differences between them, however, is that KO really never stopped playing like he was a 6'3" high school, well, point guard, while Patton has rapidly evolved from being a completely unknown 6'1" freshman pg to a 6'11" true center with guard skills, if that makes any sense.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2018, 01:39:46 AM by Beat LA »