Author Topic: Celtics draft grades: A+ By CBS Sports  (Read 9595 times)

Re: Celtics draft grades: A+ By CBS Sports
« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2018, 12:30:47 AM »

Offline slightly biased bias fan

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 310
CBS Sports
C Robert Williams, Texas A&M sophomore
The Celtics get the defensive-minded, elite-rebounding big man they needed. He's a great athlete who can defend in a lot of styles. Could he be the American Clint Capela? The "steal of the draft" label could be his. Grade: A+
https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/2018-nba-draft-grades-pick-by-pick-results-tracker-analysis-for-first-and-second-rounds/

SB Nation:
27. Boston Celtics - Robert Williams, C, Texas A&M
Grade: A

This is wild. Williams is a lottery-level talent as a shot blocker and rim runner in the vein of Clint Capela. He already has NBA-level strength and can jump out of the gym. Incredible value for Boston. How do they always pull this off?
https://www.sbnation.com/nba/2018/6/21/17489496/nba-draft-2018-grades-round-1

The Ringer:
 gave us highest grade after pick 19 (A):
https://www.theringer.com/nba/2018/6/21/17490094/grading-the-2018-nba-draft

27. Boston Celtics: Robert Williams, PF/C, Texas A&M
It will be interesting to see whether off-court or medical concerns contributed to Williams’s slide, because there’s no reason for a player this talented to be available near the end of the first round. Williams is as physically gifted as any of the big men who went in the top 10. He’s an über-athletic 6-foot-9 big who could stay in front of even the fastest point guards. He’s not particularly skilled on offense, but he shouldn’t have to do much beyond set screens and catch lobs in Boston.

USA Today:
 gave us the highest grade after pick 20 (B): https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/2018-nba-draft-grades-pick-by-pick-results-tracker-analysis-for-first-and-second-rounds/
27. Boston Celtics - Robert Williams, Texas A&M
Williams is a tantalizing prospect with his size and athleticism, but the reason he nearly fell out of the first round is because there are questions about his work ethic. If he brings the same effort each night, he could be a nightmare on pick-and-roll lobs from Kyrie Irving. A lottery-level talent, he's worth a shot at this point.
Grade: (B)

I am sorry but the idea of these immediate draft grades are mostly moronic, I remember when Ainge was lambasted for drafting Rozier so high and thought R.J Hunter was a good pick that late, so these guys have no idea how players will turn out mostly.

« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2018, 01:08:21 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Yahoo:
Boston Celtics: A

Boston got a super talent at No. 27  in Robert Williams, whom many feel had lottery talent. Williams is a strong rebounder with soft hands and has some Clint Capela to his game in terms of shot-blocking and rim-running ability. Questions about his motor and desire are why he slipped in the first round.

« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2018, 04:23:53 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
The next Clint Capela or Ben Wallace
If indeed capela is a parallel player, then let’s all remember that in capelas rookie year he hardly played and was not very good.

Will that keep Cbers from screaming “bust” early on if he doesn’t look great? We shall see.  ;D

Probably best to keep these numbers around, then :-\ -

https://www.basketball-reference.com/gleague/players/c/capelcl01d.html

« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2018, 04:25:55 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji
Finally!  We replaced what we lost with Jordan Mickey!

Danny has finally advanced to taking 6'9" big men instead of 6'8" big men.  It's a big day

I'm so proud of him.

Bring it in, guys. Group hug, lol ::) ;D.

« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2018, 04:27:36 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji
The next Clint Capela or Ben Wallace

He reminds me of Whiteside or Caples at the moment from the videos

hard to say when he hits the NBA floor

does he become Caples or Jordon Mickey

The pros make 98 % of college star look very poor .   Tatum is the one in 1 in million exception.m

Autocorrect? ;D

« Reply #35 on: June 23, 2018, 10:41:44 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja

SB Nation:

This is wild. Williams is a lottery-level talent as a shot blocker and rim runner in the vein of Clint Capela. He already has NBA-level strength and can jump out of the gym. Incredible value for Boston. How do they always pull this off?

Ummm, Boston has NEVER pulled this off before. Who else is a lottery-level talent who slipped to the end of the draft and was drafted by Boston?
avery bradley? gerald green was considered lottery level before the draft. so was sullinger.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #36 on: June 23, 2018, 11:06:35 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2697

SB Nation:

Ummm, Boston has NEVER pulled this off before. Who else is a lottery-level talent who slipped to the end of the draft and was drafted by Boston?
avery bradley? gerald green was considered lottery level before the draft. so was sullinger.

Rajon Rondo

« Reply #37 on: June 23, 2018, 11:11:56 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

SB Nation:

Bradley and Green were both picked in the teens, which isn’t quite the same thing.  Even Sullinger in the early 20s is different, since a lot of people thought he could fall due to medical issues.  Williams going 10-15 spots after people thought kind of took everyone by surprise.

We got a bit lucky that most of the teams in the 16-26 range didn’t necessarily need a player like Williams, since they already have someone comparable.

Phoenix has Ayton/Philly has Embiid
Milwaukee has Maker
Spurs could have picked him
Atlanta has Collins
Minnesota has Patton (and Towns and Dieng)
Utah has Gobert
Bulls maybe could have picked him, but they already had a promise to Hutchison (and had already picked Carter)
Pacers have Turner
Blazers have Collins and probably Nurkic
Lakers could have picked him
Sixers have Embiid

Once he fell below Washington, who needed a player just like him, there really weren’t all that many great landing spots.  The Spurs got another lottery-level talent with injury concerns, and that was about it until the Lakers passed at 25.  So there definitely was some real fortune there if you believe that Williams was the top prospect on the board for a few picks.

Thinking about the draft process has gotten me a little more excited about Williams, and I’m willing to believe that he could have gone 5-10 spots higher but for Washington making a bad pick and the circumstances with most of the other teams in between prioritizing wings over a rim-running big, as it’s a specialty position that you generally only need one of.

« Reply #38 on: June 23, 2018, 11:15:18 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

SB Nation:

Bradley and Green were both picked in the teens, which isn’t quite the same thing.  Even Sullinger in the early 20s is different, since a lot of people thought he could fall due to medical issues.  Williams going 10-15 spots after people thought kind of took everyone by surprise.

We got a bit lucky that most of the teams in the 16-26 range didn’t necessarily need a player like Williams, since they already have someone comparable.

Milwaukee has Maker
Atlanta has Collins
Utah has Gobert
Bulls maybe could have picked him, but they already had a promise to Hutchison (and had already picked Carter)
Pacers have Turner
Sixers have Embiid

Once he fell below Washington, who needed a player just like him, there really weren’t all that many great landing spots.  The Spurs got another lottery-level talent with injury concerns, and that was about it until the Lakers passed at 25.  So there definitely was some real fortune there if you believe that Williams was the top prospect on the board for a few picks.

Thinking about the draft process has gotten me a little more excited about Williams, and I’m willing to believe that he could have gone 5-10 spots higher but for Washington making a bad pick and the circumstances with most of the other teams in between prioritizing wings over a rim-running big, as it’s a specialty position that you generally only need one of.
Didn't Wall recently say the Wizards need more athletic big men? I'm not sure if I recall correctly, but I remember that. Makes their pick very weird indeed
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #39 on: June 23, 2018, 11:32:03 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

SB Nation:

Milwaukee has Maker
Atlanta has Collins
Utah has Gobert
Pacers have Turner
Sixers have Embiid

Didn't Wall recently say the Wizards need more athletic big men? I'm not sure if I recall correctly, but I remember that. Makes their pick very weird indeed

Yes, he did.  Fans here in DC seem baffled by passing on Williams, especially when their choice was instead a combo guard that can’t shoot and has only average athleticism.  I thought the Wizards had absolutely the worst draft, between their absurd 1st round selection and then passing on Keita Bates-Diop in the second to select an 18 year-old Euro guard who’s years from even coming over, much less contributing.  That team is over the tax with 10 players, has questionable depth and is lacking front-court athleticism.  Rather than getting the type of athleticism they need and an immediate contributor at the 3/4 in KBD, they selected two projects, who are of questionable fit with their best players (who happen to be the only players they have under contract beyond this year).

« Reply #40 on: June 23, 2018, 11:53:06 AM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
I read Williams didn't go to the Combine. He also didn't show up Draft night. And then he didn't come out for the draft last year. Some in the media questioned his work ethic, but I didn't see that in the videos I saw, unless he was spending too much time over the rim!

It apparently doesn't take much for talent to drop in the draft boards. I recall Pierce dropped to 10th his draft year and fell into Pitino's lap. Porter dropped to 14 this year because of concerns about his back--even though he had come back and played after his rehab. Though he cancelled his workout before the draft, which may have also been a factor.

I guess you have to ask the other GMs why they didn't consider Williams prior to #27. Many had him as a lottery pick the previous year. Maybe another factor was Texas A & M wasn't very good last season.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2018, 12:08:41 PM by Bobshot »

« Reply #41 on: June 23, 2018, 11:56:55 AM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
https://twitter.com/DannyLeroux/status/1009984582223945729

@DannyLeroux

"Absolute heist. My biggest steal of the draft (having not watched many guys outside the lottery)"

This could be a heist of Red Auerbach proportions.  :laugh:

« Reply #42 on: June 23, 2018, 11:57:03 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

SB Nation:

Milwaukee has Maker
Atlanta has Collins
Utah has Gobert
Pacers have Turner
Sixers have Embiid

Yes, he did.  Fans here in DC seem baffled by passing on Williams, especially when their choice was instead a combo guard that can’t shoot and has only average athleticism.  I thought the Wizards had absolutely the worst draft, between their absurd 1st round selection and then passing on Keita Bates-Diop in the second to select an 18 year-old Euro guard who’s years from even coming over, much less contributing.  That team is over the tax with 10 players, has questionable depth and is lacking front-court athleticism.  Rather than getting the type of athleticism they need and an immediate contributor at the 3/4 in KBD, they selected two projects, who are of questionable fit with their best players (who happen to be the only players they have under contract beyond this year).
Yeah, their selections made absolutely no sense to me. I would’ve even liked to see them take a flyer on Metu ahead of the Ukrainian guard. I think a few teams will regret passing on KBD, most of all Washington
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #43 on: June 23, 2018, 12:15:54 PM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1538
When was the last time the Celtics had a real shot blocker ? i cant wait for swatted balls traveling to the 4th and 5th rows! (thats what she said)
Remember what bill Russell said about such blocks. To do this only gives the ball back to the other team.  More effective is to block the ball to one of your teammates, not the fourth row.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
LET'S GO CELTICS!