Author Topic: Ainge got his big at pick 27. Welcome Robert Williams  (Read 43614 times)

Re: Ainge got his big at pick 27. Welcome Robert Williams
« Reply #315 on: June 23, 2018, 01:35:20 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
How big is Robert Williams really?

He was a 6-8 (without shoes) / 6-9 (in shoes) PF in the mold of a Tyrus Thomas a year ago. Now some are reporting he is 6-10 and a few others are still saying 6-9.

I looked up the draft measurements but his were not on there.

Is there any legit measurements on this guy? Is he a real 6-10? Or is he another average size PF pretending to be a center?
He didn't participate in the NBA combine.  So whether he's 6-9 or 6-10 is going to make a big difference to you?  I'd say he's Horford's size but with a bigger wingspan and much more athletic.
Yeah, he more than makes up for not being 6'11"-7' tall with his insane hops and his 7'5" wingspan. Plus, he's a very strong 240lbs. Guess who else was 6'9", 240lbs, and was an athletic defensive minded rebounder? Big Ben ;)
Since he hasn't been measured, this number is as reliable as his height.

Official measurement at the 2015 Nike Basketball Academy was 6'8.5'' with a 7'4'' wingspan.

That's when he was 17 years old.

« Reply #316 on: June 23, 2018, 01:37:09 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

He was a 6-8 (without shoes) / 6-9 (in shoes) PF in the mold of a Tyrus Thomas a year ago. Now some are reporting he is 6-10 and a few others are still saying 6-9.

Is there any legit measurements on this guy? Is he a real 6-10? Or is he another average size PF pretending to be a center?
He didn't participate in the NBA combine.  So whether he's 6-9 or 6-10 is going to make a big difference to you?  I'd say he's Horford's size but with a bigger wingspan and much more athletic.
Yeah, he more than makes up for not being 6'11"-7' tall with his insane hops and his 7'5" wingspan. Plus, he's a very strong 240lbs. Guess who else was 6'9", 240lbs, and was an athletic defensive minded rebounder? Big Ben ;)

He has been measured, just not since 2015.  His wingspan was 7’4” as a 17 year-old.  7’5” might be wrong, but it’s more likely to be right than 7’3” is.

TP to DWC for scooping me by 2 minutes.

« Reply #317 on: June 23, 2018, 01:47:38 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

It really doesn't matter if he is 6'9" or 6'10" or if his wingspan is 7'4" or 7'5".  He's really long and very athletic and he uses both of those attributes really well when he plays. 

« Reply #318 on: June 23, 2018, 01:50:29 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

Official measurement at the 2015 Nike Basketball Academy was 6'8.5'' with a 7'4'' wingspan.

Well he hasn't shrunk, that's for sure.  When I watch him block shots, his wingspan looks 8', LOL.

« Reply #319 on: June 23, 2018, 01:58:10 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

Well he hasn't shrunk, that's for sure.  When I watch him block shots, his wingspan looks 8', LOL.
Sure, but Nike Basketball Academy is not an "official measurement". The only official and reliable measurement happens at the combine.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #320 on: June 23, 2018, 02:01:30 PM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
At 27. What u got to lose..im thrilled
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #321 on: June 23, 2018, 02:47:02 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

Sure, but Nike Basketball Academy is not an "official measurement". The only official and reliable measurement happens at the combine.

I don't know how to answer this. It's a measurement at an officially recognized basketball event in the states. It may not be official by NBA standards, but this seems like a pedantic critique made by someone unwilling to accept that he might be wrong.

« Reply #322 on: June 23, 2018, 03:16:58 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
I don't know how to answer this. It's a measurement at an officially recognized basketball event in the states. It may not be official by NBA standards, but this seems like a pedantic critique made by someone unwilling to accept that he might be wrong.
It's not a measurement at an NBA sanctioned event. Typically, those tend to be all over the place, and I wouldn't take any of them without a grain of salt. That is all.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #323 on: June 23, 2018, 03:22:30 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
He looks  6'10" to me.

« Reply #324 on: June 23, 2018, 03:28:21 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Yes. 6-10 is already quite undersized for the center position. Another inch matters. Few players 6-9 can play 30+ minutes as a starting center. Reduces the likelihood of him being a starter down the road.

Do you know how many guys classified as pure centers by basketball-reference played 30+ mpg last season?

Seven, none of whom averaged as many as 34 minutes.

Add guys who swing to center, and you’re up to 14 players.  That’s less than half the league (and we’ve got one of them, Horford).

« Last Edit: June 23, 2018, 03:35:42 PM by Roy H. »

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #325 on: June 23, 2018, 04:21:36 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
It's not a measurement at an NBA sanctioned event. Typically, those tend to be all over the place, and I wouldn't take any of them without a grain of salt. That is all.

What percentage of players measured at the Nike Hoops Summit measure as smaller a couple of years later when the combine comes around?  Do you have any data to say that the premier amateur combine event attended by the heads of every NBA scouting department is unreliable?

« Reply #326 on: June 23, 2018, 04:30:32 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

Yes. 6-10 is already quite undersized for the center position. Another inch matters. Few players 6-9 can play 30+ minutes as a starting center. Reduces the likelihood of him being a starter down the road.

Do you know how many guys classified as pure centers by basketball-reference played 30+ mpg last season?

Seven, none of whom averaged as many as 34 minutes.

Add guys who swing to center, and you’re up to 14 players.  That’s less than half the league (and we’ve got one of them, Horford).

This fact is one of many reasons I consider Baynes to be a luxury item.  Between Horford, Theis, Williams, and Yabusele we should be able to patch together 48 minutes of center play.  And if Yabusele isn’t ready to help with that in year 2, then he needs to be moved so that we can afford someone else who can (Baynes or otherwise).

« Reply #327 on: June 23, 2018, 05:46:41 PM »

Offline dmopower

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 46
I just read he has a 9'4" standing reach.  Jordan Mickey had a 8'10" Standing reach.  This puts Williams up there with DJ and DH as far as standing reach with more hops. What have we got to lose? 
blind optimist or GENIUS

« Reply #328 on: June 23, 2018, 06:15:29 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
Could be our Ben Wallace.

Probably not, but I would be happy with a Reggie Evans.

« Reply #329 on: June 23, 2018, 06:19:53 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
Potential bust-o-meter is through the roof.

I'm not sure that there's such a thing as a bust at #27.

This is very true yet people still cite Fab Melo and JR Giddens when questioning Ainge's draft record.