Author Topic: Ainge got his big at pick 27. Welcome Robert Williams  (Read 43428 times)

Re: Ainge got his big at pick 27. Welcome Robert Williams
« Reply #300 on: June 23, 2018, 06:36:59 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
How big is Robert Williams really?

He was a 6-8 (without shoes) / 6-9 (in shoes) PF in the mold of a Tyrus Thomas a year ago. Now some are reporting he is 6-10 and a few others are still saying 6-9.

I looked up the draft measurements but his were not on there.

Is there any legit measurements on this guy? Is he a real 6-10? Or is he another average size PF pretending to be a center?

« Reply #301 on: June 23, 2018, 07:38:41 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

He was a 6-8 (without shoes) / 6-9 (in shoes) PF in the mold of a Tyrus Thomas a year ago. Now some are reporting he is 6-10 and a few others are still saying 6-9.

Is there any legit measurements on this guy? Is he a real 6-10? Or is he another average size PF pretending to be a center?
He didn't participate in the NBA combine.  So whether he's 6-9 or 6-10 is going to make a big difference to you?  I'd say he's Horford's size but with a bigger wingspan and much more athletic. 

« Reply #302 on: June 23, 2018, 07:51:50 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

He didn't participate in the NBA combine.  So whether he's 6-9 or 6-10 is going to make a big difference to you?  I'd say he's Horford's size but with a bigger wingspan and much more athletic.
Yeah, he more than makes up for not being 6'11"-7' tall with his insane hops and his 7'5" wingspan. Plus, he's a very strong 240lbs. Guess who else was 6'9", 240lbs, and was an athletic defensive minded rebounder? Big Ben ;)
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #303 on: June 23, 2018, 09:22:11 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25640
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I agree with others: wingspan matters more than height.  He’s got length and strength, which is all you need in the modern NBA. 

If he works hard, and if he has roughly average basketball IQ, he will be a useful player. Not necessarily Capela/Jordan, but a guy who can easily put up 8 points, 8 rebounds and 2 blocks.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #304 on: June 23, 2018, 09:26:06 AM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 906
https://twitter.com/adamhimmelsbach/status/1010179244545265664?s=21

Himmelsbach says it was a miscommunication on both sides

Not a good sign when you’re barely 12 hours in and already need to do damage control.  His agent should have made sure he was available — unless he’s already gotten rid of his second agent since April.

This guy is GOLD ::).

Lol, you really don't like this pick.

I guess you could say that he's the ultimate...draft sleeper ;) ::) ;D *groan*.

Ughhh, TP, against my better judgment. 😉

Seriously, though, I am concerned about missing his first press appearance as a Celtic. If you have a clean record, you can get away with it. But this guy fell from the lottery to #27, primarily because he was viewed as a problem child. This was not a good start to repair that image.

Mike

« Reply #305 on: June 23, 2018, 09:51:54 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I agree with others: wingspan matters more than height.

This guy also has next level athletic ability.   It is safe to say that his jumping goes to 11 if you catch my Spinal Tap reference.

« Reply #306 on: June 23, 2018, 11:17:52 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401

Yes. 6-10 is already quite undersized for the center position. Another inch matters. Few players 6-9 can play 30+ minutes as a starting center. Reduces the likelihood of him being a starter down the road.

« Reply #307 on: June 23, 2018, 11:32:40 AM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

Yes. 6-10 is already quite undersized for the center position. Another inch matters. Few players 6-9 can play 30+ minutes as a starting center. Reduces the likelihood of him being a starter down the road.

This may come as a surprise to some, but Williams is the same height and wingspan as both DeAndre Jordan and Anthony Davis.

Jordan measured at 6'10'' at the combine his draft year. The same as Williams.

I think he can play center.

« Reply #308 on: June 23, 2018, 11:36:03 AM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
I agree with others: wingspan matters more than height.  He’s got length and strength, which is all you need in the modern NBA. 

You check the wingspans of all the major bigs. They're all 7-4, 7-5. Wilt was 7-8. Bamba 7-10 is unusual.

Russell was 7-4. Williams is about same size as Russell, but Russ was 20 lbs lighter as a rookie. Russell was a leaper like Williams, but in his day nobody else could jump like that. Nowadays, it's much more common--the athleticism has increased.

« Reply #309 on: June 23, 2018, 11:41:22 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

He was 6’9” in the summer of 2015 (hadn’t turned 18 yet), and as far as I can tell that was his last official measurement in a camp or combine setting.  His standing reach is reportedly 9’4”, which is plenty tall enough.  He’s not undersized — just maybe built a little differently.

« Reply #310 on: June 23, 2018, 11:43:26 AM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141

Russell was 6-9, 220 lbs. 7-4 wingspan. Numbers similar to Williams, but a different era. Many more like that now.

Russell played centers who were 7-1, 7-2 to a standstill with his defensive skills and leaping/blocking ability. Wilt was much bigger, yet he defended him better than anybody. Held him to 30ppg when he was averaging 50ppg.

Williams could be a diamond in the rough. We'll just have to see how he develops and how he is used.

« Reply #311 on: June 23, 2018, 01:12:22 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
Here's a good article on Williams.  Only played 1 year of high level AAU.  I consider that a plus. 

“I feel like I stepped up and became the leader on defense for my team,” Williams said. “Last year, we were lost. We didn’t know who was leading. We didn’t know who was going to step up. We all waited to see who was going to be the next man up, who was going to take control. This year, we’re telling each other, ‘Hey, get on your s—.’ I feel like I’ve done a great job doing that.”

https://sports.yahoo.com/robert-williams-unlikely-return-paved-way-texas-sweet-16-run-011215394.html

« Reply #312 on: June 23, 2018, 01:13:19 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
For those knocking the Williams pick, who would you have chosen instead? 

« Reply #313 on: June 23, 2018, 01:23:21 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
For those knocking the Williams pick, who would you have chosen instead?
Who's knocking the Williams pick?
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #314 on: June 23, 2018, 01:25:07 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

Yeah, he more than makes up for not being 6'11"-7' tall with his insane hops and his 7'5" wingspan. Plus, he's a very strong 240lbs. Guess who else was 6'9", 240lbs, and was an athletic defensive minded rebounder? Big Ben ;)
Since he hasn't been measured, this number is as reliable as his height.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."