Author Topic: Ainge got his big at pick 27. Welcome Robert Williams  (Read 43609 times)

Re: Ainge got his big at pick 27. Welcome Robert Williams
« Reply #285 on: June 22, 2018, 10:24:14 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
6'10, 240 lbs, 7'5 wingspan, 40" vertical.  Am I missing something here?  I don't see why people are not doing cartwheels over this pick.  If you watched Brad Stevens interview you will actually see him smile/smirk when talking about Williams.  That's a surefire sign that Brad is very pleased with this draft selection and he already has ideas how he could use him.

https://youtu.be/PTrzMWk9Y5c

Our head coach emphasized the words athletic and above the rim.  Rob Williams brings us a dynamic and athletic rim protector to Boston! 

Really can't ask more from the #27 pick.  Honestly Williams could have been taken in the top 10-15 picks and nobody would have batted an eyelash.

Check out his athleticism alone and tell me that isn't tantalizing potential!  He could become a physically dominant 5 if he reaches his ceiling.

https://youtu.be/LwMuMY73Tgo

Bill Russell was 6-10 and 220 lbs in his first game on 12/22/56 in Boston Garden against the Hawks. He had 16 rebounds and 6 pts, with countless blocks in 21 min. It was nationally televised on a Sunday aft. Saw it on TV as a kid. He was something no one had ever seen before in the NBA.

« Reply #286 on: June 22, 2018, 10:45:34 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Probably the best scouting video of RW by DE

RW vs Arizona (it was from his 1st college season, but sounds like things didn't improve in year 2).  The good and the bad.   nbadraft unfortunately looks like they got the comparison dead on (Stromile Swift).  Active (but not always) and likes to roam around,  instead of nuts and bolts (on defense especially).  The lack of boxing out vs depending on athleticism/reach is a little disappointing to see ....  won't be able to get away with laziness at the nba level

Smart, Horford will be good role models for RW

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLhy4TvFoQ4&t=21s

« Reply #287 on: June 22, 2018, 11:00:04 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
6'10, 240 lbs, 7'5 wingspan, 40" vertical.  Am I missing something here?  I don't see why people are not doing cartwheels over this pick.  If you watched Brad Stevens interview you will actually see him smile/smirk when talking about Williams.  That's a surefire sign that Brad is very pleased with this draft selection and he already has ideas how he could use him.

Our head coach emphasized the words athletic and above the rim.  Rob Williams brings us a dynamic and athletic rim protector to Boston! 

Really can't ask more from the #27 pick.  Honestly Williams could have been taken in the top 10-15 picks and nobody would have batted an eyelash.

Check out his athleticism alone and tell me that isn't tantalizing potential!  He could become a physically dominant 5 if he reaches his ceiling.

Bill Russell was 6-10 and 220 lbs in his first game on 12/22/56 in Boston Garden against the Hawks. He had 16 rebounds and 6 pts, with countless blocks in 21 min. It was nationally televised on a Sunday aft. Saw it on TV as a kid. He was something no one had ever seen before in the NBA.

Russell was amazing! He jumped over a guy once going to the hoop. I've never seen anyone else do that.

« Reply #288 on: June 22, 2018, 11:01:35 PM »

Offline Emmette Bryant

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 286

TP for being a Celtics fan longer than me.

« Reply #289 on: June 23, 2018, 12:24:36 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
They put him next to greg Monroe for now
Also it looks like he will wear #44

« Reply #290 on: June 23, 2018, 01:24:30 AM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text
A little bit of an aside. As much as Fab Melo didn't pan out, I think it is harsh people making it sound like he couldn't play basyat all.

Consider this triple double for instance.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4rCm4qtBLJE
Banner 18 please 😍

« Reply #291 on: June 23, 2018, 01:35:29 AM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

More importantly they put him next to Bill Russell. 

« Reply #292 on: June 23, 2018, 02:33:16 AM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked
The more I review Robert Williams he compares much better to Drummond than Capela

Capela is not as explosive as Williams nor Drummond.  Williams ceiling is Drummond but with a shot and better perimeter skills.  Which would be scary

I think Draymond Green is a good comp for Williams.

eh?

naw...they are different

Green is a good athlete but not above rim like Williams.  But Green has top level handles, iq for a PF (one of the best in the league).

I think he meant in terms of defensive intensity/wingspan/height, but other than that, they play nothing alike. Hopefully, Horford can instill his passing acumen into Williams.

They are different but he's a defender like Green. Williams is only 20 and his handle, while not Green's, is decent for a big man. Williams has potential to function like Green does. I can see Williams guarding LeBron and switching onto guards etc... What pick was Green?

Oh yeah I know, that's what I meant by defensive intensity/versatility. He's been asked to switch on guards, and can recover rather quickly.

Green was the 35th, and was apparently beloved by Mike Zarren.

The Boston Celtics had two first-round picks in the 2012 NBA draft, and neither of them were used to select Draymond Green, a transcendent two-way force who’s single-handedly proving how influential a defender can be.

This was a mistake, but isn’t one anyone can fault the Celtics for making when 28 other teams did the exact same thing. The Golden State Warriors eventually snatched Green up in the second round (as their third pick of the draft), and the rest is history.

But at this year’s Sloan Sports Analytics Conference in Boston, former Celtics forward Brian Scalabrine revealed that the team’s assistant general manager, Mike Zarren, once had Green ranked third on his draft board. Instead, Boston selected Jared Sullinger at 21 and Fab Melo at 22.

Yeah, I remember that draft well. 2 picks back to back, and I wanted 2 of Draymond, Sully, and Royce White. Was not happy with Fab Melo, and disappointed that Sully tricked me.
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #293 on: June 23, 2018, 02:42:09 AM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
Adam Himmelsbach

Verified account

@AdamHimmelsbach
 3m3 minutes ago
More
Robert Williams: "I feel like I love defense. I feel like most of all, I thrive off of defense."

Am I the only one who thinks it's weird that his best attributes are his defense and rebounding but his big question is his competitiveness? How many players have you ever heard of that are lazy but great defenders?
Defense and rebounding. Because shooting, post moves, and free throw shooting actually require putting in the hours...

Sure, I’ll just give you the rest of your natural life to queue up the good ole’ list of guys who were available at pick #27 with all those attributes, plus a 7’6” wingspan, 40” vertical and 240 pound NBA body at 20.

Hint: there are 0 such players, so maybe don’t sweat the impossible stuff so much.

« Reply #294 on: June 23, 2018, 02:47:56 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789

More importantly they put him next to Bill Russell.
lol and the white mamba allowed him to use #44

« Reply #295 on: June 23, 2018, 03:28:26 AM »

Offline Scintan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 656

Sure, I’ll just give you the rest of your natural life to queue up the good ole’ list of guys who were available at pick #27 with all those attributes, plus a 7’6” wingspan, 40” vertical and 240 pound NBA body at 20.

Hint: there are 0 such players, so maybe don’t sweat the impossible stuff so much.

People keep quoting his measurables as if they mean something.  They mean nothing if he can't harness them.  Maybe people need to watch more NFL drafts, or something, to understand how useless measurables are in the end. 

He can play, or learn to play, or he can't, regardless of his weight, wingspan, and jumping ability.

When people are free to do as they please, they usually imitate each other.

« Reply #296 on: June 23, 2018, 03:37:15 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

People keep quoting his measurables as if they mean something.  They mean nothing if he can't harness them.  Maybe people need to watch more NFL drafts, or something, to understand how useless measurables are in the end. 

He can play, or learn to play, or he can't, regardless of his weight, wingspan, and jumping ability.
He's already proven that he can play defence at an elite college level, and rebound similarly. Of course those don't just translate, but it's a good indicator.

I think part of his motor questions stem from him being played out of position and just used poorly in general by his coach. Playing 2 bigs who can't shoot with 1 shooter on the perimeter is destined for failure. I think here, where basically everyone on the roster who isn't Marcus Smart can shoot the 3, he will absolutely thrive
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #297 on: June 23, 2018, 04:15:35 AM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen

He averaged 12-8-1.4 on 56% shooting as a freshman playing in a bad system, with 2.7 blocks and .7 steals a game in 25 minutes. Other than Jaren Jackson Jr hitting 3’s and hitting a good FT%, which obviously do matter, Williams put up #4 pick in the draft #’s. He’d have been a top 12 pick last year.

You’re quoting intangibles as if they’re the only thing. Study up.

« Reply #298 on: June 23, 2018, 05:07:01 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji

He averaged 12-8-1.4 on 56% shooting as a freshman playing in a bad system, with 2.7 blocks and .7 steals a game in 25 minutes. Other than Jaren Jackson Jr hitting 3’s and hitting a good FT%, which obviously do matter, Williams put up #4 pick in the draft #’s. He’d have been a top 12 pick last year.

You’re quoting intangibles as if they’re the only thing. Study up.

:o

Adam Himmelsbach

Verified account

@AdamHimmelsbach
 3m3 minutes ago
More
Robert Williams: "I feel like I love defense. I feel like most of all, I thrive off of defense."

Am I the only one who thinks it's weird that his best attributes are his defense and rebounding but his big question is his competitiveness? How many players have you ever heard of that are lazy but great defenders?
Defense and rebounding. Because shooting, post moves, and free throw shooting actually require putting in the hours...

I'd say that Hassan Whiteside, Robert Upshaw, and Mitchell Robinson share many of those same attributes :-\.

« Reply #299 on: June 23, 2018, 05:20:49 AM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
Not sure the motor criticisms are fair. His drb% is on par with the tops in the country, and much higher than JJJ and he has a very high block % as well.

It’s not like picking Willie Cauley-Stein.  WCS is not and will never be a perfect player, but he took a step forward in college every year.  Williams was the same player this year as he was last year.  He got suspended for 3 games at the beginning of the season for violating team rules (presumably pot). His on-court effort issues are widely agreed upon.

I get the pick.  I think it was the correct one.  I just think people are way too excited about him and are setting themselves up for disappointment.  It’s a lot easier for me to see him never making it into the Celtics rotation than it is for me to see him as a foundational piece, or even really a useful on that leaves after his rookie deal.  I hope he reaches his considerable ceiling, or even gets 80% of the way there. That would make the Celtics future even more bright than it already is.  I don’t see it happening, but I’d love to be wrong.

Just curious if you did indeed watch A&M games at all, or just basing this on what you've seen on highlights/draft videos?

There was absolutely no floor spacing. There were a lot of injuries. Their point guard Caldwell was kicked off the team, two other teammates also got suspended for a few games, and he was next to a non-floor stretching big. And no competent passers for a lob catching/rim running big.

Robert Williams fell supposedly due to his motor, and knee issues, but from what I've seen. He is a threat for a lob every time.

Positives:
Can handle the ball somewhat, will be able to do give and go's.
Midrange shot is still weak, but showed a lot of improvement.
Lob catcher, A&M threw lobs from almost full court, (despite how many frugal passers there were on the team,) and explosive athlete.
His passing is actually underrated skill set of his.
Elite defender, smart at keeping ball within the court

Negatives:
How worrisome are knee concerns
Not a fluid athlete
Handling/shooting form is very suspect, very inconsistent
Doesn't do a lot of the little things
Passing needs more shape up

Basically all of his concerns minus shooting/ball handling, a good coach/leader can inspire him to do better.

Capela/DeAndre Jordan literally couldn't shoot a mid range to save their life. I think Williams could.

Ok Salt, so I see you aren't sooo bearish, but re: WCS, you wanna compare his freshman stats to Robert Williams?  Because they aren't even comparable. 

Just because Williams stayed another year and his stock fell, like other defensive wizards Marcus Smart and Joakim Noah, doesn't diminish the fact that he was a lottery freshman in the very deep 2017 draft, and could be a real find for us.

Yeah I watched some Williams games, especially last year with the Nets pick in hand.

Robert Williams played 25.6 and 25.8 minutes a game his 2 years at Texas A&M, almost exactly the same minutes as Doncic, who Saltlover comfortably projects to lofty Per 36 Minute stats.

Williams played enough for college's Per 40 Minute stats to apply.  Cauley Stein, Wendell Carter & Bamba qualify too.  DeAndre Jordan didn't play a lot, he's in the mix but his #'s are wonky. 

Here are the Career Per 40 Minute #'s of WCS (3 years), RW3 (2) & DJ/MB/WC (1):

PPG   RPG   APG SPG  BPG FG%  3P%    FT%  TO   PF    ORtg  DRtg
RW3    17.3  13.5  2.2   1.1  3.9  59%  7%    54%  2.7  3.1  113.6  92.9
WCS    13.1  10.2   1.4   1.8  3.6  59%  0%    51%   2.0  3.8  116.6  87.1
Bamba 17.1  14.0  0.7   1.0  4.9  54%  27%  68%  2.0  3.4  118.5 89.6
Carter  20.2  13.5  3.0   1.3  3.1  56%  41%  74%  3.0  4.0  125.3  92.8 
Jordan 15.8   11.9   0.9   0.4  2.5  61%  0%     44%  3.2  3.8   Unavailable

I bolded every metric that is effectively top 2 in the group.  As you can see, the top 3 guys in bolded metrics are Bamba, the 6th pick, Carter Jr, the 7th pick... and Robert Williams, the 27th pick, over Willie Cauley Stein, a top 5 pick, and DeAndre Jordan, an All Star.  It's solid data. 

This has to be reassuring.  And if we only did 1 year for Williams, he'd still look good.

Robert Williams #'s from ONLY freshman year, to comp with Bamba, Carter and DJ:

PPG   RPG  APG  SPG BPG  FG% 3P%  FT%  TO   PF    ORtg  DRtg
RW3  18.4  12.6  2.2   1.0   3.8   56% 11%  59%  2.7  2.8  113.5  95.7

Bold is #2 in the group of 5 (he's actually #1 in PF) and italics is #3, so you can see here that he is top 3 in this good group of 5 at every individual metric, but played with bad teammates in a bad system with bad spacing that didn't exploit his strengths, so his O & D Rtg #'s aren't elite.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2018, 06:04:08 AM by smokeablount »