Author Topic: Ainge got his big at pick 27. Welcome Robert Williams  (Read 43645 times)

Re: Ainge got his big at pick 27. Welcome Robert Williams
« Reply #135 on: June 22, 2018, 08:51:28 AM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Late in the first round is the place to take risks and I'm glad we're taking a risk with him given the potential high return. If he doesn't perform to expectation it's not like we wasted a lottery pick on him.
There is no such thing as a risk at 27.  You pick a guy and hope he’s still on the team in three years.  As has already been said, this board was most excited when we picked James young and Gerald green in recent years.  Shoot, by and large people were happier about rj Hunter than Jaylen brown.

« Reply #136 on: June 22, 2018, 09:03:49 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Some very smart posters here, like Salt and Roy, seem very bearish on Williams.  Don't be fooled, I've scouted pretty well over the past decade to 12 years when I bother to watch, and I think Williams is a great pick, and attones for passing on DeAndre Jordan.

For reference, I was on record for Tatum last year, was perhaps the most vocal Kyrie trade supporter (i posted videos of IT and Kyrie showing how Kyrie was simply better, stats be [dang]ed) and after we got Morris I immediately researched and stated we won that trade. 

So I feel my opinion has been overall pretty solid the past year, and I love this pick.  This is not like selecting Fab Melo or Deyonta Davis, it's like picking DeAndre Jordan or Willie Caulie-Stein.

It’s not like picking Willie Cauley-Stein.  WCS is not and will never be a perfect player, but he took a step forward in college every year.  Williams was the same player this year as he was last year.  He got suspended for 3 games at the beginning of the season for violating team rules (presumably pot). His on-court effort issues are widely agreed upon.

I get the pick.  I think it was the correct one.  I just think people are way too excited about him and are setting themselves up for disappointment.  It’s a lot easier for me to see him never making it into the Celtics rotation than it is for me to see him as a foundational piece, or even really a useful one that leaves after his rookie deal.  I hope he reaches his considerable ceiling, or even gets 80% of the way there. That would make the Celtics future even more bright than it already is.  I don’t see it happening, but I’d love to be wrong.

« Reply #137 on: June 22, 2018, 09:07:07 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
One thing that is definitely exciting .....is that Williams is at the same level in terms of strength, length and explosiveness as Howard (younger),  Drummond, Deandre Jordan for a center

Celts hasnt had a center like this in a very long time...

« Reply #138 on: June 22, 2018, 09:08:46 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Some very smart posters here, like Salt and Roy, seem very bearish on Williams.  Don't be fooled, I've scouted pretty well over the past decade to 12 years when I bother to watch, and I think Williams is a great pick, and attones for passing on DeAndre Jordan.

For reference, I was on record for Tatum last year, was perhaps the most vocal Kyrie trade supporter (i posted videos of IT and Kyrie showing how Kyrie was simply better, stats be [dang]ed) and after we got Morris I immediately researched and stated we won that trade. 

So I feel my opinion has been overall pretty solid the past year, and I love this pick.  This is not like selecting Fab Melo or Deyonta Davis, it's like picking DeAndre Jordan or Willie Caulie-Stein.

Not sure the motor criticisms are fair. His drb% is on par with the tops in the country, and much higher than JJJ and he has a very high block % as well.

It’s not like picking Willie Cauley-Stein.  WCS is not and will never be a perfect player, but he took a step forward in college every year.  Williams was the same player this year as he was last year.  He got suspended for 3 games at the beginning of the season for violating team rules (presumably pot). His on-court effort issues are widely agreed upon.

I get the pick.  I think it was the correct one.  I just think people are way too excited about him and are setting themselves up for disappointment.  It’s a lot easier for me to see him never making it into the Celtics rotation than it is for me to see him as a foundational piece, or even really a useful on that leaves after his rookie deal.  I hope he reaches his considerable ceiling, or even gets 80% of the way there. That would make the Celtics future even more bright than it already is.  I don’t see it happening, but I’d love to be wrong.

Just curious if you did indeed watch A&M games at all, or just basing this on what you've seen on highlights/draft videos?

There was absolutely no floor spacing. There were a lot of injuries. Their point guard Caldwell was kicked off the team, two other teammates also got suspended for a few games, and he was next to a non-floor stretching big. And no competent passers for a lob catching/rim running big.

Robert Williams fell supposedly due to his motor, and knee issues, but from what I've seen. He is a threat for a lob every time.

Positives:
Can handle the ball somewhat, will be able to do give and go's.
Midrange shot is still weak, but showed a lot of improvement.
Lob catcher, A&M threw lobs from almost full court, (despite how many frugal passers there were on the team,) and explosive athlete.
His passing is actually underrated skill set of his.
Elite defender, smart at keeping ball within the court

Negatives:
How worrisome are knee concerns
Not a fluid athlete
Handling/shooting form is very suspect, very inconsistent
Doesn't do a lot of the little things
Passing needs more shape up

Basically all of his concerns minus shooting/ball handling, a good coach/leader can inspire him to do better.

Capela/DeAndre Jordan literally couldn't shoot a mid range to save their life. I think Williams could.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2018, 09:58:17 AM by Monkhouse »
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #139 on: June 22, 2018, 09:14:58 AM »

Offline OHCeltic

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 17
He needs to work on his free throws. 
Great pick anyways

« Reply #140 on: June 22, 2018, 09:15:50 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
The comparisons to Bill Russell/Ben Wallace need to stop though... Lol, Celticsblog homering once again.  ;) ;D :o :o ::) ::)

« Reply #141 on: June 22, 2018, 09:38:40 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYrv8YSIkqM

gets the block, goes for the windmill jam then hustles back for a rebound, what a sequence by our new big guy

« Reply #142 on: June 22, 2018, 09:40:04 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
The comparisons to Bill Russell/Ben Wallace need to stop though... Lol, Celticsblog homering once again.  ;) ;D :o :o ::) ::)

Drunk on the green cool-aid  .. :)

« Reply #143 on: June 22, 2018, 09:43:13 AM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
I'm ok with the pick. At 27, I think he represented what it sounds like BPA and also solved a need for the team (basically a project big man/Monroe replacement).

He certainly has some physical tools to work with and he probably will benefit from getting drafted by a strong organization like the C's. Hope he takes that to heart and learns from Horford.

Offensively, not expecting much from him this year outside of Smart lobs for alley oops. He's gonna need to figure out the FT shooting to at least become passable. I don't understand how a basketball player can shoot 43% from the FT line.

« Reply #144 on: June 22, 2018, 09:50:38 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Seems to be the type of guy whose career might be saved or lost by the team that drafted him.   He seemed to be lacking coaching and direction to use his strenghts .

So , maybe the more serious nature of Boston basketball will keep him focused and pointed in the rigjt direction,

I see too many lost yoing men who need more maturity drafted to the WRONG team.   

If you fail at Boston , then you probably don't belong . 

He lucked into a good situation.

« Reply #145 on: June 22, 2018, 09:59:18 AM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 467
Man there are a lot of varying opinions for a guy who was picked at 27!!  It's ok to be excited about a guy who was supposed to be a lottery pick.  If you are overly excited you are setting yourself up for major disappointment.  That's ok but don't come on here and say Danny failed if Williams busts.  Perry Jones III was supposed to be a lottery player and we see what happened to him.

For me I'm pumped we got a guy at 27 that has a ton of potential, fits exactly what the C's are missing.  That's rare.  I can see him being a guy who is there to clean up the glass, run the floor and score of lobs.  He's not there to shoot J's he's there to be a defensive presence and if he can become a top notch D player and shoot around 60% on his FT he's a guy who pair with Smart can finish a game's last possession and shut down a team when the C's need stops.  No more Embiid abusing the C's if this kid can develop.  Great get at 27.  If he busts who cares.  He was picked at 27.

« Reply #146 on: June 22, 2018, 10:16:21 AM »

Offline number_n9ne

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 126
If we don't get Bonzie on a 2 way and realize the dream of a Smart, Colson, Semi, Yabu, Bob Williams thick-jacked frame strong boy lineup, I'll riot. This needs to happen for weird Celtics Twitter.

« Reply #147 on: June 22, 2018, 10:20:02 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
I'm ok with the pick. At 27, I think he represented what it sounds like BPA and also solved a need for the team (basically a project big man/Monroe replacement).

He certainly has some physical tools to work with and he probably will benefit from getting drafted by a strong organization like the C's. Hope he takes that to heart and learns from Horford.

Offensively, not expecting much from him this year outside of Smart lobs for alley oops. He's gonna need to figure out the FT shooting to at least become passable. I don't understand how a basketball player

I think Capella has a similar FT percentage, and is about to get offered a $15 to $20mm per year contract. If Williams was an 80% FT shooter, would not have dropped to 27, get real.

« Reply #148 on: June 22, 2018, 10:22:29 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas

Offensively, not expecting much from him this year outside of Smart lobs for alley oops. He's gonna need to figure out the FT shooting to at least become passable. I don't understand how a basketball player

I think Capella has a similar FT percentage, and is about to get offered a $15 to $20mm per year contract. If Williams was an 80% FT shooter, would not have dropped to 27, get real.

My thoughts exactly. And it's not like his shooting form is that bad, it cannot be fixed to at least somewhat adequate.

« Reply #149 on: June 22, 2018, 10:22:38 AM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
I love the Robert Williams pick.  He has a massive wingspan of 7'5 and is extremely athletic.  Like pogo stick legs.  I've seen him dunk balls where he catches it above the square and throw down!

He was one of my draft binkies and DA made my wish come true! 

On June 8th I said:

I'm going to pick 2 binkies.  Just to hedge my bets but chances are we don't draft either of them unless we move up slightly in the draft.

6'9 PF/C Robert Williams from Texas A&M.  He reportedly has a 7'5 wingspan.  He averaged 4 blocks per 40 minutes.  He's what we call a rim protector. ;)

https://www.theringer.com/2018/3/22/17149150/robert-williams-texas-am-sweet-16

He is super athletic and I'm betting that he leapfrogs Yabusele into the big man rotation.  I feel he could be better defensively than Theis because of his massive wingspan.  Defensively, he only trails Mo Bamba and Jaren Jackson Jr in block percentage as a college bigman -- he is significantly better in that department than Wendell Carter Jr, Bagley, and Ayton.

I really love how well he moves.  He is a scary shotblocker and an excellent rebounder -- two areas that the Celtics need a lot of help in.  As most big men he might start out slower, but that's ok.  He can develop behind Theis and Horford and eventually earn a bigger role.  You can't teach his wingspan and athleticism. 

But I'm sure Brad Stevens will be able to teach him the fundamentals and help coax out that massive upside!  If we're lucky we end up with the next Clint Capella or Deandre Jordan!  Really pleased with this draft selection.  Who knows, maybe pick #27 is lucky after all?

TP for being ahead of the curve. I am thrilled too with the pick.

Been following I'm since freshman year.