Author Topic: Ainge got his big at pick 27. Welcome Robert Williams  (Read 43946 times)

Re: Ainge got his big at pick 27. Welcome Robert Williams
« Reply #75 on: June 21, 2018, 11:58:04 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Where the bloody hell do people get Fab Melo from? I get the motor comparison part, but Melo was FAR worse. There were times where he would stand around on defense, slow footed, and attempt at flailing his arms in a veiled attempt to block a shot. I hated that about Melo.

Granted Melo wasn't that horrible, he just never worked to improve his game, and was not the smartest toolbox in the tool shed. Williams is 4x more explosive, and has WAY WAY HIGHER lift. He's agile, and he can recover on defense when he gets beat.

He doesn't need to do anything. Just rebound, box out, block shots, and play defense... Whatever we get after that from the 27th.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #76 on: June 21, 2018, 11:58:24 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
NBADRAFT.net instant analysis

27. Robert Williams | 6-9 | 240 | PF/C | Texas A&M | 20
Williams projects as the prototypical ultra-athletic/long dive man in the Clint Capela mold, but questions surrounding the health of his knees caused a semi-surprising drop down the draft board. Williams was thought to be a lottery pick entering the season and even in the days leading up to the draft, however there are concerns about how much he really loves the game and what kind of daily encouragement he will require. That's not to say Williams didn't make his presence felt at Texas A&M. He was one of the nation's truly elite rebounders and has the length, timing, and athleticism to develop into a game-changing shot blocker. Unlike other lottery-bound big men, Williams offers next to no shooting (non-existent 3-point stroke, 47-percent foul shooter as a sophomore), and his effort isn't always there. But at this point in the draft, his defensive/rebounding potential is hard to pass up for the Celtics in need of a rim-running shot blocker to pair with Al Horford. For a player with a high "situational dependence", Williams couldn't have landed in a better spot.

hope its not serious

« Reply #77 on: June 21, 2018, 11:58:33 PM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
I caution people to remain optimistic about this player. Worst case: 6'9 center with 7'5 wingspan and 40 inch vert. One of the best players in the nation at contesting perimeter shots. Listed at 240 a year ago. He shows flashes.

Forget his passing and possible switchability, I trust our culture to help nourish him behind Horford. I honestly had him going 13 to the clippers. Obviously the work ethic is a question. We will see. He has great hands.

Let a good coach teach him for 4 years. That's all I can say.

Love the pick. Celtics blog is going to hear about it.
#JKJB

« Reply #78 on: June 21, 2018, 11:59:46 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Potential bust-o-meter is through the roof.

I'm not sure that there's such a thing as a bust at #27.

I agree in principle, but I think people’s expectations of Williams are way too high and are ripe for disappointment in a season or two.

Oh, probably.  I'd expect Deyonta Davis production in the short term, maybe a more tuned-in Sam Dalembert if he hits 90% of his potential.  I'd be happy with that.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #79 on: June 22, 2018, 12:05:13 AM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
Welp hard to argue with the  pick. Seems like perfect modern day defensive center. Long enough with explosive leaping to protect the rim. Agile feet and good hands to switch onto guards. Not much of an offensive  game right now, but he will at least be a good finisher and lob threat. Honestly tho, with our perimeter guys we don't need a big time offensive player. Celtics seem to think he has soem untapped potential skill wise. But even if he doesn't. what do you really want at 27? Could turn into a starter level player, and thats a great outcome.

« Reply #80 on: June 22, 2018, 12:06:33 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
IF CBS can define Williams role (because he had to shoulder responsibilities beyond capabilities in college)  plus tweak his jump shot....... I think this is how you start with Williams

defensively CBS has a system he wants all of his players to follow (spreading arms, stance etc) + Roberts raw ability hopefully adds another dimension to this teams defense

Celts still need to bring back Baynes... and rebuild Williams down at Maine

« Reply #81 on: June 22, 2018, 12:09:29 AM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 537
NBADRAFT.net instant analysis

27. Robert Williams | 6-9 | 240 | PF/C | Texas A&M | 20
Williams projects as the prototypical ultra-athletic/long dive man in the Clint Capela mold, but questions surrounding the health of his knees caused a semi-surprising drop down the draft board. Williams was thought to be a lottery pick entering the season and even in the days leading up to the draft, however there are concerns about how much he really loves the game and what kind of daily encouragement he will require. That's not to say Williams didn't make his presence felt at Texas A&M. He was one of the nation's truly elite rebounders and has the length, timing, and athleticism to develop into a game-changing shot blocker. Unlike other lottery-bound big men, Williams offers next to no shooting (non-existent 3-point stroke, 47-percent foul shooter as a sophomore), and his effort isn't always there. But at this point in the draft, his defensive/rebounding potential is hard to pass up for the Celtics in need of a rim-running shot blocker to pair with Al Horford. For a player with a high "situational dependence", Williams couldn't have landed in a better spot.

hope its not serious
In that clip where Rozier face timed Ainge, Danny mentioned that they were checking his medicals prior to making the pick.  Guessing that even if there were issues, there's too much potential here to not roll the dice.  Keeping in mind they're going to need to guard Joel Embid for the next several years.

« Reply #82 on: June 22, 2018, 12:10:45 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
IF CBS can define Williams role (because he had to shoulder responsibilities beyond capabilities in college)  plus tweak his jump shot....... I think this is how you start with Williams

defensively CBS has a system he wants all of his players to follow (spreading arms, stance etc) + Roberts raw ability hopefully adds another dimension to this teams defense

Yeah, with Al, Baynes and Theis there is absolutely no pressure on Williams. Rebounding, rim protection and dunks are all we need from him
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #83 on: June 22, 2018, 12:13:59 AM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466

I agree in principle, but I think people’s expectations of Williams are way too high and are ripe for disappointment in a season or two.
This is where I’m at.  Given the responses on this thread, there is a huge potential for people to be disappointed.  So perhaps that’s not technically a bust, but it may feel that way given the (unrealistic) optimism.

« Reply #84 on: June 22, 2018, 12:15:46 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

I thought Williams was a late lotto pick, I have those aspirations for him. Is that unreasonable?

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #85 on: June 22, 2018, 12:16:30 AM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked

Oh, probably.  I'd expect Deyonta Davis production in the short term, maybe a more tuned-in Sam Dalembert if he hits 90% of his potential.  I'd be happy with that.

Those are low expectations. 

Deyonta Davis only played 18.4 mpg, but put up 7.5-5.5-.7 with .3 spg, 1.8 bpg, 2.3 fouls.

Williams as a frosh, 25 mpg, 12-8-1.4 with .7 spg, 2.5 bpg, 1.8 fouls.

He compares closer to DeAndre Jordan than Davis, coming from someone clamoring to draft DJ.  I don't expect him to be as good and he isn't Capela, but last year he's a lotto pick.  He's fantastic value at #27, we got lottery talent and the type of player we lack in a non-lottery year.
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #86 on: June 22, 2018, 12:17:02 AM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

What are you talking about?  Williams didn't shoulder responsibilities beyond his capabilities in college.  Williams was criminally underutilized and poorly utilized.  Forced to play the 4 due to Tyler Davis and playing with poor shooting and poor passing guards/wings. 

« Reply #87 on: June 22, 2018, 12:17:17 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

This is where I’m at.  Given the responses on this thread, there is a huge potential for people to be disappointed.  So perhaps that’s not technically a bust, but it may feel that way given the (unrealistic) optimism.
I don't mind a smaller, more explosive Dalembert as a comparison. Good rebounder and ring protector, nothing to write home about on offence. But a guy who can crash the offensive rebounds and dunk the ball surrounded by Kyrie, Jaylen, Jayson and Gordon isn't bad at all
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #88 on: June 22, 2018, 12:23:54 AM »

Offline Scintan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 656
Unless a player is completely red-flagged, there comes a point where a falling player just becomes too tempting a gamble to pass up.  That point will be different for every GM, but it's there.  Sometimes it works out, and sometimes it doesn't.

The good thing about this gamble is that, if the team doesn't like what it sees this year, it could well be an issue addressed early in next year's draft.  Sure, they'd need a little help from another team and the ping pong balls, but that possibility is there.

So I'll call it a great gamble, even if this is a potential Melo/Sullinger situation.  The kid has the raw physical prowess.  Let's see what Brad & Co. can do with him.

When people are free to do as they please, they usually imitate each other.

« Reply #89 on: June 22, 2018, 12:23:55 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
I hope this spelss the end to Dhoward rumors

Dont want him as a Celtic