Author Topic: Ainge got his big at pick 27. Welcome Robert Williams  (Read 43624 times)

Re: Ainge got his big at pick 27. Welcome Robert Williams
« Reply #45 on: June 21, 2018, 11:14:04 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1362
Definitely a steal if we can fix his issues
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #46 on: June 21, 2018, 11:14:44 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Reminds me a bit of Carlos Arroyo.

I'm hopeful that he can both make good on his talent and do stupid things that only his fanbase can appreciate.
Carlos Arroyo the point guard?
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #47 on: June 21, 2018, 11:15:59 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
Williams is an absolute steal. CBS had him going 12th to Clippers in their mock draft.

The kid can jump through the roof. He is everything the Celtics don't have right now. His wingspan is as good as Ayton's.

« Reply #48 on: June 21, 2018, 11:16:16 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Another great value pick by Ainge deep in a draft. Can’t wait to see the guard we get in the 2nd. Finally an athletic 5 who can defend & block shots

so theis cannot rebound or block shots? what about baynes? theis has a huge motor. not sure what you have been watching. but yeah maybe this draft pick can continue that and improve it.

Lord i remember the Mickey hype on here .   We will see how he acts on the NBA court ....will he understand at the speed of the NBA or will he freeze and watch the game like several other bigs C's drafted .

He seems to have a Whiteside type game .  It took Hassan a few years to develop ,   maybe he is hevnext Whitside  ;D

« Reply #49 on: June 21, 2018, 11:16:33 PM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
I wanted him last year before our pick became top 4. So I am ecstatic we got him with our own pick this year.
#JKJB

« Reply #50 on: June 21, 2018, 11:23:45 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
I don't want to put any pressure on the kid, but I think that defensively he should be the next Bill Russell.

I didn't want to say that, but I saw Russell play his rookie year in Boston. This kid can jump like Russell, but he has a better mid range shot. Russ was also left handed.

We'll see if he can develop the kind of defensive skills Russell had. The young Russell had a similar long body and could also jump through the roof. The kid has the tools, and needs the right teachers. Just keep him away from the 3P line.  :laugh:

« Reply #51 on: June 21, 2018, 11:24:14 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
I don't want to put any pressure on the kid, but I think that defensively he should be the next Bill Russell.

will you settle for Dikembe Mutombo? 8)
« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 11:39:55 PM by Ogaju »

« Reply #52 on: June 21, 2018, 11:38:42 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
This was a good pick,  7'5" wingspan, can guard the perimeter, 6'10" with a 40 inch vertical !

https://www.facebook.com/bleacherreport/videos/10154878620491006/

He lacks skills but lordy does he have potential.

Stevens said he's very high on him.

I still wanted Spellman, but I'm gonna trust Steven's judgement.

I don't like the fact he had immaturity issues and terrible shooting mechanics, but we gotta give him a chance.

Man, they say that same crap every year, lol ::) ;D. Didn't Stevens also say that R.J. Hunter was going to have a great career ::)? I just, I can't, lol ;D.

Don't get me wrong, I'll certainly be watching the guy in the Summer League, etc., but it's just never a good idea to take any guy with a sub-par motor and/or work ethic, imo, as those are characteristics that you simply cannot teach, in my view. You've either got it or you don't, to me, but we'll see as to what happens.

Had Williams been drafted by the Warriors, for example, I could have seen that possibly panning out owing to Draymond and company constantly being in his ear and all that comes with being immersed in a championship environment, but I really don't know about this one, man, and what's the deal with Khyri Thomas?

I am surprised  you do not think that Celtics have the culture to set the kid on the right path.

« Reply #53 on: June 21, 2018, 11:41:02 PM »

Offline Kaz

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 73
Reminds me a bit of Carlos Arroyo.

I'm hopeful that he can both make good on his talent and do stupid things that only his fanbase can appreciate.
Robert Williams reminds you of Carlos Arroyo?
Curious as to how you arrived to that conclusion lol

« Reply #54 on: June 21, 2018, 11:41:04 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

« Reply #55 on: June 21, 2018, 11:44:16 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 866
  • GOT IT!!!
https://twitter.com/NBATV/status/1009989000285728768

Really was a perfect match. If he comes in ready to work:

« Reply #56 on: June 21, 2018, 11:44:34 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
This was a good pick,  7'5" wingspan, can guard the perimeter, 6'10" with a 40 inch vertical !

I don't like the fact he had immaturity issues and terrible shooting mechanics, but we gotta give him a chance.

Man, they say that same crap every year, lol ::) ;D. Didn't Stevens also say that R.J. Hunter was going to have a great career ::)? I just, I can't, lol ;D.

Don't get me wrong, I'll certainly be watching the guy in the Summer League, etc., but it's just never a good idea to take any guy with a sub-par motor and/or work ethic, imo, as those are characteristics that you simply cannot teach, in my view. You've either got it or you don't, to me, but we'll see as to what happens.

Had Williams been drafted by the Warriors, for example, I could have seen that possibly panning out owing to Draymond and company constantly being in his ear and all that comes with being immersed in a championship environment, but I really don't know about this one, man, and what's the deal with Khyri Thomas?

RJ Hunter was unlucky, because he was never a great defender, and his shooting was horrible considering his low release point. If you can't defend, or play hard on that end, you're not going to see minutes in the Celtics. Point. Blank. Ojeleye is a perfect example as Orlando has brought up many times.

A&M is 297th in the country in 3-point percentage, and their top two point guards are gone. Senior Duane Wilson went down with a season-ending right knee injury in February and freshman J.J. Caldwell was kicked off the team for several violations of university policy.

They also asked Robert Williams to play out of position. He's more of a rim running athletic 5.

I think Williams has terrible work ethic, but why are you so sure Williams won't do well within the Celtics? You say Draymond would scream in his ear, and force him to fix his mistakes, but there are certainly other players on our team that can provide the same mentorship/leadership.

Also I have no clue. I feel bad for Thomas. He's an excellent player. I hope the best for him.

I'm going to give him a chance. He literally just has to rebound, block shots, and putback dunks/lobs. Pretty easy. Eventually, once he develops a face up game, we'll see what happens.

I'm excited for Robert Williams.

Brown, Tatum, and Williams= Lob city.

"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #57 on: June 21, 2018, 11:45:19 PM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked

Yeah, maybe instead of taking ESPN's #12 player, a 20 year old who as a freshman put up 12-8-1.4 with 2.5 blocks and .7 steals in 25.6 mpg...we should have taken your guy Rawle Alkins, not taken in the first 51 picks by professionals and the #6 BPA (57) in a 60 man draft. 

Maybe we'll get your guy as an undrafted rookie free agent, AND the #12 player.

Not to be too hard on you, my friend nails picks all the time and he likes Alkins too.
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #58 on: June 21, 2018, 11:45:48 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 866
  • GOT IT!!!

« Reply #59 on: June 21, 2018, 11:47:30 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

I didn't want to say that, but I saw Russell play his rookie year in Boston. This kid can jump like Russell, but he has a better mid range shot. Russ was also left handed.

We'll see if he can develop the kind of defensive skills Russell had. The young Russell had a similar long body and could also jump through the roof. The kid has the tools, and needs the right teachers. Just keep him away from the 3P line.  :laugh:

They’re about the same height and probably similar wing span. We can only hope.