Author Topic: Ainge got his big at pick 27. Welcome Robert Williams  (Read 43622 times)

Re: Ainge got his big at pick 27. Welcome Robert Williams
« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2018, 11:00:55 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
I’m surprised because he’s a non passing non stretch big, but I love the pick.
Brad Stevens said Robert Williams has enough of a foundation to become a better passer, ball-handler & outside shooter.

Interesting.

Please not another Jordon Mickey .....holy cow he sucked

Mickey was always projected as a borderline NBA player, except by a few pie-eyed optimists.

This guy is like Mickey in that his floor is "out of the league in a year or two." But, his ceiling is much higher, according to well-regarded evaluators.

« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2018, 11:03:19 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
This was a good pick,  7'5" wingspan, can guard the perimeter, 6'10" with a 40 inch vertical !

https://www.facebook.com/bleacherreport/videos/10154878620491006/

He lacks skills but lordy does he have potential.
Potential as what? I don’t see much potential at all on offense. On defense, yes. He might be great and could help with bounding. But that free throw shooting...  :o
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2018, 11:04:09 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 866
  • GOT IT!!!
His athleticism is off the charts. He would have to be a complete dum dum to bust. He shouldn’t have been available at 27 plain and simple.

« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2018, 11:04:49 PM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1550
Another great value pick by Ainge deep in a draft. Can’t wait to see the guard we get in the 2nd. Finally an athletic 5 who can defend & block shots

so theis cannot rebound or block shots? what about baynes? theis has a huge motor. not sure what you have been watching. but yeah maybe this draft pick can continue that and improve it.
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2018, 11:07:22 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
P.s. he should help th Celtics more than Monroe. So that is good.  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2018, 11:08:48 PM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
I don't want to put any pressure on the kid, but I think that defensively he should be the next Bill Russell.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2018, 11:09:01 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
I keep hearing people talking about a pick in the 2nd round. Did Danny buy/trade for one?

« Reply #37 on: June 21, 2018, 11:09:52 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Post-Draft Analysis
Danny Ainge does it again. The rich get richer, as the Celtics add the No. 12 player in the ESPN 100 all the way down at the 27th pick. Concerns about Williams' off-court habits and some question marks about his knee sank his stock, but this might end up being the steal of the draft.

Williams' ability to protect the rim is something the Celtics covet, and he's now in a perfect situation to continue to develop his basketball IQ in one of the NBA's best cultures and player-development systems. -- Jonathan Givony

« Reply #38 on: June 21, 2018, 11:10:09 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
I don't want to put any pressure on the kid, but I think that defensively he should be the next Bill Russell.

first team defense at least

« Reply #39 on: June 21, 2018, 11:11:00 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
This was a good pick,  7'5" wingspan, can guard the perimeter, 6'10" with a 40 inch vertical !

Stevens said he's very high on him.

I still wanted Spellman, but I'm gonna trust Steven's judgement.

I don't like the fact he had immaturity issues and terrible shooting mechanics, but we gotta give him a chance.

Man, they say that same crap every year, lol ::) ;D. Didn't Stevens also say that R.J. Hunter was going to have a great career ::)? I just, I can't, lol ;D.

Don't get me wrong, I'll certainly be watching the guy in the Summer League, etc., but it's just never a good idea to take any guy with a sub-par motor and/or work ethic, imo, as those are characteristics that you simply cannot teach, in my view. You've either got it or you don't, to me, but we'll see as to what happens.

Had Williams been drafted by the Warriors, for example, I could have seen that possibly panning out owing to Draymond and company constantly being in his ear and all that comes with being immersed in a championship environment, but I really don't know about this one, man, and what's the deal with Khyri Thomas?

« Reply #40 on: June 21, 2018, 11:11:37 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I keep hearing people talking about a pick in the 2nd round. Did Danny buy/trade for one?

Not yet that we know of.  We’re just hopeful.

« Reply #41 on: June 21, 2018, 11:13:20 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
This is a good scouting report regarding why Williams will hopefully fit better in the NBA than he did at the NCAA level.

https://www.theringer.com/2018/3/22/17149150/robert-williams-texas-am-sweet-16

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #42 on: June 21, 2018, 11:13:22 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
talk about insane drop

he was pegged at 11-14 on most mock drafts

Shooting definitely needs work.  But if he turns out to be like Capela....a steal

« Reply #43 on: June 21, 2018, 11:13:22 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Reminds me a bit of Carlos Arroyo.

I'm hopeful that he can both make good on his talent and do stupid things that only his fanbase can appreciate.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #44 on: June 21, 2018, 11:14:04 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji

Potential as what? I don’t see much potential at all on offense. On defense, yes. He might be great and could help with bounding. But that free throw shooting...  :o

Well, at least he could potentially offer a way, albeit an unconventional one, imo, for us to get into the penalty during the fourth quarter of a big game on the road, for example, when, say, the Warriors employ the ol' Hack a Shaq :-\. That's all that I've got as of right now, though, unfortunately, lol ;D.