Author Topic: Ainge got his big at pick 27. Welcome Robert Williams  (Read 43607 times)

Re: Ainge got his big at pick 27. Welcome Robert Williams
« Reply #330 on: June 23, 2018, 06:25:04 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
Convince me he is not the new Jared Sullinger

He isn't overweight.
He also doesn't have a red flagged back injury. (that's MPJ this draft)

That being said, Sullinger was (is) a very skilled player who also had freakish wingspan and was a quite solid contributor for the franchise for a while.  If he could hit the 3 at a 40% clip he might be in an 8-man rotation right now.

« Reply #331 on: June 23, 2018, 06:35:01 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Convince me he is not the new Jared Sullinger

He isn't overweight.
He also doesn't have a red flagged back injury. (that's MPJ this draft)

That being said, Sullinger was (is) a very skilled player who also had freakish wingspan and was a quite solid contributor for the franchise for a while. If he could hit the 3 at a 40% clip he might be in an 8-man rotation right now.

Yeah that doesn't make any sense to be honest. Sullinger has never ever hit the 30% mark, let alone going over 4 full points % over the league average of 36.

It isn't even the fact Sullinger couldn't shoot 3's, it is the fact that he never improved his conditioning, and could never play past 30 minutes ever in his career. Ainge has given him many chances and warned him to lose weight.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #332 on: June 23, 2018, 07:10:02 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
That being said, Sullinger was (is) a very skilled player who also had freakish wingspan and was a quite solid contributor for the franchise for a while.  If he could hit the 3 at a 40% clip he might be in an 8-man rotation right now.

More like Ate men rotation.  You should go into comedy because that is the funniest thing I have read in a month or two.   Brilliant Sarcasm!

Nope.  His Defense was very poor.    He was lazy and ate himself out of the league.   He played because we did not have better not because he was a solid player.   He never shot well.  Never defended well, had conditioning issues his whole tenure and played himself out of the league.  The moment we got better players and he was off his rookie contract he was gone.

He could rebound.

They have shown zero interest in bringing him back.   

« Reply #333 on: June 23, 2018, 07:43:17 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
How big is Robert Williams really?

He was a 6-8 (without shoes) / 6-9 (in shoes) PF in the mold of a Tyrus Thomas a year ago. Now some are reporting he is 6-10 and a few others are still saying 6-9.

I looked up the draft measurements but his were not on there.

Is there any legit measurements on this guy? Is he a real 6-10? Or is he another average size PF pretending to be a center?
He didn't participate in the NBA combine.  So whether he's 6-9 or 6-10 is going to make a big difference to you?  I'd say he's Horford's size but with a bigger wingspan and much more athletic.
Yeah, he more than makes up for not being 6'11"-7' tall with his insane hops and his 7'5" wingspan. Plus, he's a very strong 240lbs. Guess who else was 6'9", 240lbs, and was an athletic defensive minded rebounder? Big Ben ;)

Forget the fact that Wallace was actually 6'7", iirc, as the guy had an insatiable desire to win and a motor that never quit, which are two of the very traits that Williams completely lacks, so aside from his measurables, I honestly don't see as to how they are at all similar players, but hopefully I'm wrong :).

« Reply #334 on: June 23, 2018, 07:52:13 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji
This fact is one of many reasons I consider Baynes to be a luxury item.  Between Horford, Theis, Williams, and Yabusele we should be able to patch together 48 minutes of center play.  And if Yabusele isn’t ready to help with that in year 2, then he needs to be moved so that we can afford someone else who can (Baynes or otherwise).

Honestly, what do you see in Yabu? I'm not trying to make fun of you, nor anyone else, for that matter, who happens to like the guy, it's just that I don't understand as to the fascination with a player who couldn't even break into the rotation when the team was desperate for bodies. I get that he's a former first rounder *facepalm*, and all, but if we're being honest with ourselves, Jabari Bird showed far more even in that one game against the Bulls than Yabusele has over the last two years, draft-and-stash or not, but I'm weird :-\.

« Reply #335 on: June 23, 2018, 08:00:58 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji
https://twitter.com/adamhimmelsbach/status/1010179244545265664?s=21

Himmelsbach says it was a miscommunication on both sides

Not a good sign when you’re barely 12 hours in and already need to do damage control.  His agent should have made sure he was available — unless he’s already gotten rid of his second agent since April.

This guy is GOLD ::).

Lol, you really don't like this pick.

I guess you could say that he's the ultimate...draft sleeper ;) ::) ;D *groan*.

Ughhh, TP, against my better judgment. 😉

Seriously, though, I am concerned about missing his first press appearance as a Celtic. If you have a clean record, you can get away with it. But this guy fell from the lottery to #27, primarily because he was viewed as a problem child. This was not a good start to repair that image.

Mike

Haha, thanks. Sorry about all of these let's call them "jokes" ;) ::) ;D, but I'm afraid that the horrible wit gene, if there even is such a thing, btw, lol ;D, is completely out of control as of right meow ;D.

As for the rest, yeah, that's my problem, as well, and even when people were mocking me after I said that I had legitimate concerns about the guy on draft night, I never would have imagined that the dude would have missed his first introduction to the Boston media, etc. Good grief ::).

Perhaps since he obviously loves Buffalo Wild Wings so much, he should get an alarm clock or set up something similar on his phone that goes off with Shaq saying, "Barbecue Chicken Alert!" ;) ::) ;D Ugh.

Sorry that you didn't find any Mickey Mantle rookie cards, btw, haha.

« Reply #336 on: June 23, 2018, 08:04:53 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
How big is Robert Williams really?

He was a 6-8 (without shoes) / 6-9 (in shoes) PF in the mold of a Tyrus Thomas a year ago. Now some are reporting he is 6-10 and a few others are still saying 6-9.

I looked up the draft measurements but his were not on there.

Is there any legit measurements on this guy? Is he a real 6-10? Or is he another average size PF pretending to be a center?
He didn't participate in the NBA combine.  So whether he's 6-9 or 6-10 is going to make a big difference to you?  I'd say he's Horford's size but with a bigger wingspan and much more athletic.
Yeah, he more than makes up for not being 6'11"-7' tall with his insane hops and his 7'5" wingspan. Plus, he's a very strong 240lbs. Guess who else was 6'9", 240lbs, and was an athletic defensive minded rebounder? Big Ben ;)

Forget the fact that Wallace was actually 6'7", iirc, as the guy had an insatiable desire to win and a motor that never quit, which are two of the very traits that Williams completely lacks, so aside from his measurables, I honestly don't see as to how they are at all similar players, but hopefully I'm wrong :).
Well, he’s billed as 6’9” according to ESPN and BBallRef, but maybe it was the afro :P
He also never achieved anything until Detroit took a flyer on him, with much more serious question marks (like a lack of any NBA talent) than Williams has. They also play quite similarly. Protect the ring in a similar manner, and chase boards in a similar manner. The line was obviously tongue-in-cheek, but there are definitely similarities
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #337 on: June 23, 2018, 08:19:08 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
This fact is one of many reasons I consider Baynes to be a luxury item.  Between Horford, Theis, Williams, and Yabusele we should be able to patch together 48 minutes of center play.  And if Yabusele isn’t ready to help with that in year 2, then he needs to be moved so that we can afford someone else who can (Baynes or otherwise).

Honestly, what do you see in Yabu? I'm not trying to make fun of you, nor anyone else, for that matter, who happens to like the guy, it's just that I don't understand as to the fascination with a player who couldn't even break into the rotation when the team was desperate for bodies. I get that he's a former first rounder *facepalm*, and all, but if we're being honest with ourselves, Jabari Bird showed far more even in that one game against the Bulls than Yabusele has over the last two years, draft-and-stash or not, but I'm weird :-\.

I don’t see all that much.  But I don’t get to see him in practice and know what the Celtics are asking him to work on and do when he gets in games.  If he’s in the right place and making the right reads and rotations, that’s important, even though we wouldn’t be able to see it in his limited time on court. He was drafted as a project, and he does need to be viewed through that lens, especially in his first year.

But what I’m saying is that he has $2.6 million guaranteed this year, and as we’re tight against the tax, it would be best if he can be at least a small contributor, even if it’s as the 11th man in the rotation.  We don’t have the the salary space to release him and take on a minimum free agent in all likelihood, so that’s why I’m against cutting him.  If he’s completely useless, it will cost something to move him, and I’d rather not have to spend something to get rid of him.  But as I said in the post you quoted, if he can’t be relied on for a few minutes a game, then that’s what needs to happen. 

I’d be disappointed if it came to that, because it’d have been a waste of a mid-1st, but I guess I knew there’d be a few misses with all the 1st Ainge accumulated, so if this is one, so be it.

« Reply #338 on: June 23, 2018, 08:22:11 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja

he was a 21 year old rookie playing in the US for the first time. he is better than the vast majority of gleague dregs. let's give another year and see if he develops or not. capela took a year or two, as did bradley, and perk.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #339 on: June 23, 2018, 08:35:35 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
I just read he has a 9'4" standing reach.  Jordan Mickey had a 8'10" Standing reach.  This puts Williams up there with DJ and DH as far as standing reach with more hops. What have we got to lose?

That’s incredible if true.

« Reply #340 on: June 23, 2018, 08:42:34 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I just read he has a 9'4" standing reach.  Jordan Mickey had a 8'10" Standing reach.  This puts Williams up there with DJ and DH as far as standing reach with more hops. What have we got to lose?

They list it as that in this pre-draft article written by a Denver guy: https://www.denverstiffs.com/2018/6/12/17457288/nba-draft-prospect-robert-williams-scouting-report-denver-nuggets

Who knows how accurate it is, but if he has that standing reach with that athleticism that’s a crazy good start
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #341 on: June 23, 2018, 08:46:28 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

They list it as that in this pre-draft article written by a Denver guy: https://www.denverstiffs.com/2018/6/12/17457288/nba-draft-prospect-robert-williams-scouting-report-denver-nuggets

Who knows how accurate it is, but if he has that standing reach with that athleticism that’s a crazy good start

The ringer has the same measurements, and I’d seen it a couple other places as well, although I can’t find the original source for any.

« Reply #342 on: June 23, 2018, 09:46:38 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
I don't know how to answer this. It's a measurement at an officially recognized basketball event in the states. It may not be official by NBA standards, but this seems like a pedantic critique made by someone unwilling to accept that he might be wrong.
It's not a measurement at an NBA sanctioned event. Typically, those tend to be all over the place, and I wouldn't take any of them without a grain of salt. That is all.

Picture of Williams and Ayton standing next to each other.
https://imagesvc.timeincapp.com/v3/fan/image?url=https%3A%2F%2Fsircharlesincharge.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2Fgetty-images%2F2017%2F12%2F887877276-valley-of-the-sun-shootout-st-johns-v-grand-canyon.jpg.jpg&c=sc&w=850&h=560

Ayton is 7'1'' (measured 7'0'' in shoes at the 2014 Lebron James skills academy -- not official, I know, but he did not attend the combine)

Picture of Williams and Jontay Porter standing close to each other. Even with perspective, Williams looks taller.
https://www.semoball.com/photos/30/36/55/3036552-B.jpg

Porter is 6'11.5'' (measured OFFICIALLY at the combine in shoes)

I'm sure you'll say they're not official. That's true.

I don't know how much more official "not official" can get than the evidence we have that Williams is closer to 6'11'' than 6'8''.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2018, 10:17:45 PM by DefenseWinsChamps »

« Reply #343 on: June 23, 2018, 09:57:42 PM »

Offline bellerephon

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 52
We need to be careful about pictures like this. They are not standing right next to each other and are not standing straight up with feet together. That means we can’t really use that as a good comparison.

« Reply #344 on: June 23, 2018, 10:00:00 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
We need to be careful about pictures like this. They are not standing right next to each other and are not standing straight up with feet together. That means we can’t really use that as a good comparison.

Well some posters (or at least one) won’t accept Nike camp measurements, so it’s all we’ve got.