Author Topic: If I’m Cleveland, here’s what I do...  (Read 2394 times)

If I’m Cleveland, here’s what I do...
« on: June 21, 2018, 12:42:05 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
I accept that Lebron James is gone and thank him for his time in Cleveland, but I go into full-on tear down and asset acquisition mode, specifically aiming to offload Love.

Call up Memphis and offer this deal:

Memphis: Love, Korver, Top-4 protected 2022 pick

Cleveland: Parsons, Rabb, #4

This is a deal that works pretty well for both sides if Cleveland isn’t trying to sway Lebron.

For Memphis: Given that Memphis is still wanting to compete now (for whatever reason) and take advantage of this unit in the last two to three years of their time together, getting a bonafide scorer in Love is a good way to fulfill that need. A lineup of Conley, Evans, Brooks, Love, and Gasol with a decent bench is actually a really good two-way unit if healthy (big IF), and they present some real matchup and size problems for teams like Houston and GS. They also get to dump Parsons’ contract in the process, all while picking up another first round pick down the line.

For Cleveland: This gives them a good jumpstart to their rebuild. Being able to add two top-8 prospects in a deep and talented draft will be an excellent start to their rebuild. They’ll have to eat Parsons’ money for now, but they can probably offload enough salary this offseason anyways to make it palatable. Furthermore, the Cavs lose their pick to Atlanta if not in the bottom 10 in 2019 and 2020, so this allows them to tank and take advantage of the next two drafts in their rebuild.

So who says no?

Re: If I’m Cleveland, here’s what I do...
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2018, 12:49:18 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
I accept that Lebron James is gone and thank him for his time in Cleveland, but I go into full-on tear down and asset acquisition mode, specifically aiming to offload Love.

Call up Memphis and offer this deal:

Memphis: Love, Korver, Top-4 protected 2022 pick

Cleveland: Parsons, Rabb, #4

This is a deal that works pretty well for both sides if Cleveland isn’t trying to sway Lebron.

For Memphis: Given that Memphis is still wanting to compete now (for whatever reason) and take advantage of this unit in the last two to three years of their time together, getting a bonafide scorer in Love is a good way to fulfill that need. A lineup of Conley, Evans, Brooks, Love, and Gasol with a decent bench is actually a really good two-way unit if healthy (big IF), and they present some real matchup and size problems for teams like Houston and GS. They also get to dump Parsons’ contract in the process, all while picking up another first round pick down the line.

For Cleveland: This gives them a good jumpstart to their rebuild. Being able to add two top-8 prospects in a deep and talented draft will be an excellent start to their rebuild. They’ll have to eat Parsons’ money for now, but they can probably offload enough salary this offseason anyways to make it palatable. Furthermore, the Cavs lose their pick to Atlanta if not in the bottom 10 in 2019 and 2020, so this allows them to tank and take advantage of the next two drafts in their rebuild.

So who says no?

Makes sense but hurts our chances of getting 4 pick so would you mind deleting it?

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2018, 12:49:45 PM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
I might if I were Memphis, but would want the protected removed.
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2018, 12:56:45 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

I’m the opposite. If I’m Cleveland, I don’t trade a future pick. Love + removing Parsons contract is enough.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2018, 12:59:52 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
I think Memphis would do this trade even without the 2022 Cleveland pick.  Kevin Love + Korver for #4 pick + a bad contract is pretty fair value if Memphis can get some assurance that Love will stay.  Kevin Love is still only 29 years old and his game will age fairly well.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2018, 01:07:22 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
I think Memphis would do this trade even without the 2022 Cleveland pick.  Kevin Love + Korver for #4 pick + a bad contract is pretty fair value if Memphis can get some assurance that Love will stay.  Kevin Love is still only 29 years old and his game will age fairly well.

I’m the opposite. If I’m Cleveland, I don’t trade a future pick. Love + removing Parsons contract is enough.

Yeah, I originally didn’t have the pick in there, but figured that Memphis would want just a bit more to go through with it, specifically something as a fallback for rebuilding if that roster didn’t end up working out or had injuries. The protections on that pick could also be tightened, such as making it top 7-10 protected.

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2018, 01:20:01 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
If I'm Cleveland, I try to get Kemba from Charlotte.   Kemba for #8 + JR Smith.  Give Charlotte Larry Nance Jr too if that's not quite enough and take back whatever contract needed to get salaries to match.

I think Cleveland has to go all-in on keeping LeBron.  It's not a city that can attract superstars in free agency.  A rebuild will be long and difficult considering their #8 pick this year isn't an elite pick and they don't own their 2019 first round pick nor any of their 2018-2020 second round picks.  They don't have any current player assets that they could trade away for a top 3 pick.

Think about it... even with extreme lottery fortune in the years w/o Lebron, they drafted Kyrie, Tristan Thompson, Dion Waiters, Anthony Bennett, and Wiggins.  That team would not be good right now.  They have also shown an inability to draft well in the middle or end of the first round.  The new flattening lottery odds won't reward their tanking they did in the Lebron-less years.  I think LeBron is their only hope. 
« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 03:34:32 PM by action781 »

Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2018, 01:27:20 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
If Cleveland does trade away Kevin Love, I think they'd be smarter to do what Danny did and find a team foolishly desperate to contend right now and try to acquire two draft picks from them years down the road, like 2021 and 2023, when they won't be as good.  Then those players come in the same time as when Cleveland actually has their own draft picks to draft as well.

Teams that come to mind would be Portland, Houston, Toronto, Washington, OKC, Memphis although a few of them have management too smart to fall for that.

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2018, 02:09:07 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
If I'm Cleveland, I try to get Kemba from Charlotte.   Kemba for #10 + JR Smith.  Give Charlotte Larry Nance Jr too if that's not quite enough and take back whatever contract needed to get salaries to match.

I think Cleveland has to go all-in on keeping LeBron.  It's not a city that can attract superstars in free agency.  A rebuild will be long and difficult considering their #10 pick this year isn't an elite pick and they don't own their 2019 first round pick nor any of their 2018-2020 second round picks.  They don't have any current player assets that they could trade away for a top 3 pick.

Think about it... even with extreme lottery fortune in the years w/o Lebron, they drafted Kyrie, Tristan Thompson, Dion Waiters, Anthony Bennett, and Wiggins.  That team would not be good right now.  They have also shown an inability to draft well in the middle or end of the first round.  The new flattening lottery odds won't reward their tanking they did in the Lebron-less years.  I think LeBron is their only hope.
Cavs have he 8th pick
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2018, 03:35:13 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
If I'm Cleveland, I try to get Kemba from Charlotte.   Kemba for #10 + JR Smith.  Give Charlotte Larry Nance Jr too if that's not quite enough and take back whatever contract needed to get salaries to match.

I think Cleveland has to go all-in on keeping LeBron.  It's not a city that can attract superstars in free agency.  A rebuild will be long and difficult considering their #10 pick this year isn't an elite pick and they don't own their 2019 first round pick nor any of their 2018-2020 second round picks.  They don't have any current player assets that they could trade away for a top 3 pick.

Cavs have he 8th pick
Fixed, TP and thanks

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2018, 10:11:02 AM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
FYI, I was just on a Cavs board and most are lamenting that LeBUM's going to the Lakers.  And on another site I saw a list of teams he's going to visit - not the C's.