Author Topic: Memphis, either stop talking about Parsons or do this, thank you  (Read 2819 times)

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=ybx6j87x

Memphis gives up Gasol, Conley and Parsons and pick #4
Memphis receives Thompson, Hill, Clarkson, JR Smith, pick #8, Sac. pick, Memphis 2019 pick, Boston 2019 pick

Cleveland gives up Thompson, Hill, Clarkson, JR Smith, pick #8
Cleveland receives Gasol, Conley, Parsons

Boston gives up Sac. pick, Memphis 2019 pick, Boston 2019 first round pick
Boston receives pick #4

Memphis can gradually trade away what amounts to Parsons cut up into little pieces (the Cleveland gang...some of who can actually help give Memphis a decent season next year combined with pick #8, JaMychael Green, Dillon Brooks, Rabb and D. Davis.  But mainly they finally start a rebuild and do so with some nice picks...

Cleveland starts:
Conley, Korver, Lebron, Love, Gasol    and looks for a bench in free agency.  This team doesn't concern me, but Cleveland will see it as a way to keep Lebron.  Would be nice to see them battle Philly (2 and 3rd seeds) while Boston waits well rested for one of them in the ECF.

Memphis cannot do better by trading Conley and Gasol separately...Gasol is 33, Conley makes a TON of money and missed a year with injury. 

Only sentimentality in Grizzly land is holding them up...

Time to let go Memphis!

Or, stop talking about giving up Parsons and pick 4 and still being able to draft a few picks lower!!!!

Re: Memphis, either stop talking about Parsons or do this, thank you
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2018, 11:39:53 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Why would Memphis give up the 3 best assets in a deal to dump Parsons to get a bunch of crap?

They're blowing it up by giving up the #4 pick?  ???

Dumping Parsons contract is only important if you are still trying to win and paying Gasol/Conley. If you're moving those two players then it doesn't matter as much you can just move their large salaries to cut cost and write off Parsons.

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2018, 11:40:06 AM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
Wow, wiley, Wow!

I like it!

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2018, 11:45:38 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Terrible trade for Memphis...

They literally get nothing but picks and poo poo platter of players, while getting rid of their 4th pick, Gasol, Conley, just to salary dump Parsons?
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2018, 11:53:18 AM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
Moving from pick 4 in this draft to 8 is hardly catastrophic, especially when adding three other firsts including their own and the Sac. pick.

This is a rebuilding trade.  At 8 are possibly guys like Porter Jr., Bamba, Carter Jr....
Is Jaren Jackson going to crush Wendell Carter in the league?  I doubt it...

In any case this was not something I expected Memphis to do....(because they want to run in back, barely make the playoffs and lose in the first round).  That's why at the end of the idea I bolded that they should not expect to give up Parsons and #4 and still be able to pick between 7 and 11 or wherever it is they think they can move down to...

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2018, 11:57:03 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
I think its easily possible to move down 4 slots and give up a big contract. Certainly closer to a real deal than losing the 4 best assets in a rebuilding trade.

Also look at the contracts you have going back to Memphis, they have more bad salary after the trade! Giving up Parsons to get Thompson/JR  ??? ????

I am continually amused at the idea that Memphis should blow it up to get their own lottery protected pick back. They will keep that pick if they're tanking why trade good stuff to get it back?

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2018, 12:06:21 PM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
Terrible trade for Memphis...

They literally get nothing but picks and poo poo platter of players, while getting rid of their 4th pick, Gasol, Conley, just to salary dump Parsons?
I disagree. Thompson and Clarkson would have 2 years to go but are midsize expensive. Hill and JR have fairly cheap buyouts after one year.

Gasol and Conley aren't getting you anywhere and are very expensive deals for 2 years. Parsons deal is also super expensive. They do give up #4, but they get nice picks back. This would leave Memphis positioned to start over.

If Memphis had Ainge, they would do this, although their fans might freak out having no one for a while. I think all the teams would do this.

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2018, 12:09:36 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
If Memphis had Ainge, they would do this, although their fans might freak out having no one for a while. I think all the teams would do this.
You can get better deals for Conley/Gasol than this, just keep the #4 pick and do those deals. Don't worry about Parsons if you are blowing it up.

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2018, 12:13:27 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
Trades are usually intended to either trade picks/prospects to get better now or blow it up by trading good players for picks and prospects.  This trade seems to be trying to do both (which by definition results in doing neither).

It sounds to me like Memphis wants to use the #4 pick in order to free up salary and hopefully get something useful back that can play with Conley and Gasol to have a team that can actually win.  Otherwise, they would be trying to trade Gasol and stock up on picks to allow them to rebuild.

The Celtics could do something like Rozier and one of the future picks for the #4 but it does not seem like that is what Memphis is looking to do.  There is no way that the Celtics can take back Parsons.  Fun to speculate but I don't see much chance of the Celtics being involved in this.

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2018, 12:13:56 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
You can get better deals for Conley/Gasol than this, just keep the #4 pick and do those deals. Don't worry about Parsons if you are blowing it up.

Pretty much how I see it.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2018, 12:15:37 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker

How would you feel if the Celtics were a middling team who could not win a title in the next two or three years, and then Ainge gave up the Sac pick, Memphis pick and Boston 2019 first for Conley and Gasol?  Knowing it wouldn't bring a title? 

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2018, 12:15:43 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 907
I kind of like the deal, but I don't want to live in a world where I don't have somebody to root against because we own their future draft pick.

Mike

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2018, 12:41:43 PM »

Offline sdceltsfan

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 45
Marcus Smart sign and trade at $14 million (let memphis work out the years)
Morris
Yabu
Memphis pick back

For

Parsons

Morris is expendable, Yabu is expendable. If we are going to lose Smart to a higher bidder, why not have the cake and eat it too.

Sucks to take on Parsons, but if Wyc is down to pay luxury tax to re-sign Kyrie then why not?

Parsons contract as an expiring will be relatively valuable, even if we wanted to do a similar trade at the deadline to move him for a player that comes available mid-season (Aldrige for example) and we use a future pick to a make a trade.

The net is getting a specific player now for Smart, MEM pick, Morris, #25 and possibly SAC and/or LAC pick

For

Potential All-star caliber player (after flipping paraons and additional picks)

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2018, 01:04:53 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
Trades are usually intended to either trade picks/prospects to get better now or blow it up by trading good players for picks and prospects.  This trade seems to be trying to do both (which by definition results in doing neither).

It sounds to me like Memphis wants to use the #4 pick in order to free up salary and hopefully get something useful back that can play with Conley and Gasol to have a team that can actually win.  Otherwise, they would be trying to trade Gasol and stock up on picks to allow them to rebuild.

The Celtics could do something like Rozier and one of the future picks for the #4 but it does not seem like that is what Memphis is looking to do.  There is no way that the Celtics can take back Parsons.  Fun to speculate but I don't see much chance of the Celtics being involved in this.

I think this trade makes perfect sense...but only if Memphis were willing to rebuild. 

If they want to ride into the sunset with Conley and Gasol that's fine...

but I disagree with dealing Conley and/or Gasol and doing better than this.  They won't get more or better picks than this in the coming years.  And yes if rebuilding there's less need to jettison Parsons.  But there's no harm in it either...only added benefit.

If they were really in love with a guy at 4 who won't be there later,  they would not have offered up pick 4 just to unload Parsons.  They must like guys in this lottery who will go a bit lower. 

Worst case in this trade scenario is Memphis says no.  So if Danny likes a guy at 8 then Memphis keeps 4 and Danny picks at 8.  Bamba please. 

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2018, 01:29:59 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
I think there are simpler ways (simpler, not more likely per se) to involve a 3rd team.

Memphis wants veteran players, we could include Morris on his expiring deal.

My suggestion in the other thread was to deal with Dallas and Matthews' expiring deal, as it nearly matches the 1st year of Parsons and he would be a potential starter in Memphis.