Author Topic: Summer 2018 verified moves  (Read 81438 times)

Re: Summer 2018 verified moves
« Reply #435 on: July 17, 2018, 12:29:20 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Memphis-Sacramento trade. Wonder how this will affect our future drafts.

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1019245696170377219

We should be more concerned about what the Kings might do with the cap room they just opened up, especially w/r/t Smart (though they'll probably go after Capela first).

Didn’t they only open up an extra $1 million?

They already had plenty of room for smart. If this trade was made for cap purposes, it is probably to take on Carmelo in return for draft compensation.  I think they can make a Koufus for Carmelo + picks deal.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #436 on: July 17, 2018, 12:29:47 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

We should be more concerned about what the Kings might do with the cap room they just opened up, especially w/r/t Smart (though they'll probably go after Capela first).
they only opened up like a million dollars though right?
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #437 on: July 17, 2018, 12:34:08 PM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

They already had plenty of room for smart. If this trade was made for cap purposes, it is probably to take on Carmelo in return for draft compensation.  I think they can make a Koufus for Carmelo + picks deal.

That million and a half, plus a WCS trade, plus a Labissierre stretch would open a max slot. That makes the most sense, as they have a glut of bigs and WCS is the most valuable and expendable, unless they can somehow bamboozle a team into taking Koufos or Randolph.

« Reply #438 on: July 17, 2018, 12:36:07 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Roy Hibbert said hes done..thought he was done years ago! Cant believe he is only 31
Hibbert should go to Europe. He could still be a good player over there.

« Reply #439 on: July 17, 2018, 12:38:19 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

That million and a half, plus a WCS trade, plus a Labissierre stretch would open a max slot. That makes the most sense, as they have a glut of bigs and WCS is the most valuable and expendable, unless they can somehow bamboozle a team into taking Koufos or Randolph.

Why do all that if you’re Sacramento? Why waive and stretch Skal, adding money to future books? Why trade your “most valuable” Big just to open space?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #440 on: July 17, 2018, 12:40:33 PM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas

Why do all that if you’re Sacramento? Why waive and stretch Skal, adding money to future books? Why trade your “most valuable” Big just to open space?

I don't. It's just one possible path. I don't they they can trade any other big. Valuable might have been the wrong word. What I meant was that WCS was the player that was most expendable while also holding value that other teams may covet.

« Reply #441 on: July 17, 2018, 12:55:17 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

That move makes zero sense, even for the Kings. Trade pkayers and release and stretch players to offer a player like Capella a contract that you know the Rockets will match. So you are getting rid of these guys for nothing. Nothing.

« Reply #442 on: July 17, 2018, 01:04:01 PM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas

That move makes zero sense, even for the Kings. Trade pkayers and release and stretch players to offer a player like Capella a contract that you know the Rockets will match. So you are getting rid of these guys for nothing. Nothing.

Well, yes and no. We may disagree on their values. I don't think Labissierre is an NBA player -- no harm no foul releasing him.

Davis could largely fill a similar role to WCS. They've had 3 years to look at him and he has been mediocre on a bad team. They seem heavily invested in Giles and Bagley.

They might be able to get a 1st round pick from a playoff team who wants a rental plus RFA bird rights on WCS.

They wouldn't be getting "nothing" -- they'd be getting more minutes for other young guys and a 1st round pick.

And then, even if there is a 5% chance that they could sign Capella, it makes sense to try it. Maybe the Rockets think WCS or Davis could fill a similar role for way less money. In that case, the Rockets might be willing to take back WCS in the sign-and-trade.

If the Kings suddenly had Capella, Bogdon, Fox, Hield, and Bagley as their core, they'd be pretty interesting.

« Reply #443 on: July 17, 2018, 01:15:50 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

An update to the deal is that SAC is getting a 2021 2nd-rounder, which is presumably the primary motivating factor to the deal from their end.

« Reply #444 on: July 17, 2018, 01:34:04 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
I don't understand it for Memphis.  This puts them to within $90,000 of the tax limit.

« Reply #445 on: July 17, 2018, 01:44:31 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I don't understand it for Memphis.  This puts them to within $90,000 of the tax limit.

Bobby Marks had them at $950k away.  They traded away two players they weren’t going to use for one they are, and they continue to indicate they’re going to attempt to be competitive this year.

« Reply #446 on: July 17, 2018, 01:46:11 PM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas

Bobby Marks had them at $950k away.  They traded away two players they weren’t going to use for one they are, and they continue to indicate they’re going to attempt to be competitive this year.

Yeah. Temple immediately becomes their best wing, which is a position of need in the modern NBA

« Reply #447 on: July 17, 2018, 02:05:47 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

Well, yes and no. We may disagree on their values. I don't think Labissierre is an NBA player -- no harm no foul releasing him.

Davis could largely fill a similar role to WCS. They've had 3 years to look at him and he has been mediocre on a bad team. They seem heavily invested in Giles and Bagley.

They might be able to get a 1st round pick from a playoff team who wants a rental plus RFA bird rights on WCS.

They wouldn't be getting "nothing" -- they'd be getting more minutes for other young guys and a 1st round pick.

And then, even if there is a 5% chance that they could sign Capella, it makes sense to try it. Maybe the Rockets think WCS or Davis could fill a similar role for way less money. In that case, the Rockets might be willing to take back WCS in the sign-and-trade.

If the Kings suddenly had Capella, Bogdon, Fox, Hield, and Bagley as their core, they'd be pretty interesting.
I'm curious why you don't think Skal can play.  Decent outside shooter, decent rebounder, was the Kings best shot blocker last year, etc. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #448 on: July 17, 2018, 02:07:27 PM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas

I'm curious why you don't think Skal can play.  Decent outside shooter, decent rebounder, was the Kings best shot blocker last year, etc.

I don't think he can defend consistently and think he doesn't play off of other players well.

I could be wrong, but its not like they'd have minutes for him anyway.

« Reply #449 on: July 17, 2018, 02:15:46 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Just don't and will never understand the concept of trading away players for nothing(sorry you aren't getting a first for WCS and 2nd rounders are garbage) to open up playing time for players that have shown nothing. Competition for playing time on a team is the best motivator to be your best.