Author Topic: Memphis shopping 4th pick (Celtics interested)  (Read 10152 times)

Re: Memphis shopping 4th pick (Celtics interested)
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2018, 04:35:23 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
What about Dallas?

#4 to Boston
SAC19, Marcus Morris ($5M), Wesley Matthews ($18.6M) to Memphis
#27, Rozier, Parsons ($24.1M) to Dallas

Memphis claims they want to compete this year. They get two quality veterans, dump Parsons, and still swap into the SAC pick next year.

Dallas picks up a 1st rounder, Rozier, tanks, and pays Parsons 1 more year than Matthews.

Boston flips SAC19, Rozier and #27 for #4... probably Bamba unless Doncic is somehow there.

I got the impression from the tweet that that's more than Boston wants to give up for #4.  Something about no key players being included...

Yeah I guess it depends what you mean by "key". I know Ainge has always been pretty high on Rozier, but he's also not a starter next year and I highly doubt would hold back chasing a top-5 talent that we like.

If Ainge could accomplish that it’d be a coup.

Does Dallas do this? They take an extra year of a very bad contract in return for a decent starting PG and a late 1st round pick. They’ll have to pay Rozier to keep him when they already have their PG of the future.

Memphis drops Parsons’ anchor of a contract but still has to take on a serious overpay contract next year (Matthews) and a so-so starter (Morris). I assume they want the money freed up to chase players that can help them next year, not to spend $18 M on Wes Matthews (PER 11.4). The Sac pick is nice, but I thought their goal is win now. Even if their focus is on a rebuild, there’s a very good chance the Sac pick lands 6-9 next year. Isn’t it better to grab a higher pick now?
« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 05:18:16 AM by Sophomore »

« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2018, 05:53:52 AM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2478
You know Memphis would love to have their own pick back.

That thing is hamstringing their future flexibility - not only can they not tank if they decide they need to, but it affects/limits other future picks they could send out due to the Stepien rule.

To us it is a nice pick with upside - with them it a chance to control their own destiny again. Note that we sent back one of Minnesota's picks as part of the KG trade. Good stuff.

« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2018, 06:25:40 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
The more I think about it, the more I think letting go of the Sac pick for a high pick this year is the best option even though it means giving up assets for a similar or even worse pick now. Next years' draft is reportedly a lot weaker and slim on bigs, whereas this one is lousy with bigs and that's what the Celtics need.

If they're able to get into the top 8 without giving up one of their projected starting 5 (or Smart, I love Smart), I'll be happy.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2018, 06:27:05 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199

That thing is hamstringing their future flexibility - not only can they not tank if they decide they need to, but it affects/limits other future picks they could send out due to the Stepien rule.

To us it is a nice pick with upside - with them it a chance to control their own destiny again. Note that we sent back one of Minnesota's picks as part of the KG trade. Good stuff.

Would they? I think they're fine not having it as they intend to compete. If they were going full rebuild sure, but that's not what this looks like. They want to move Parsons in order to get 'compete now' players, all while remaining at the top of the draft

« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2018, 06:58:26 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
U going to hear everything today so get ready..heard this and dallas wants marcus smart...but its fun
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2018, 08:04:38 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Would they? I think they're fine not having it as they intend to compete. If they were going full rebuild sure, but that's not what this looks like. They want to move Parsons in order to get 'compete now' players, all while remaining at the top of the draft

They would like to have it back.  Every team likes to control their own picks, if for no other reason than getting it back means it’s easier for them to trade future picks if needed.  And if they are unable to right the ship, giving up a future lottery pick, potentially unprotected in 2021, would be terrible optics.

The pick is more valuable to Memphis than it is any other team.  It’s valuable in general, but it probably has 5-10% more value to them.

« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2018, 08:50:15 AM »

Offline ConnerHenry

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 59
It is interesting how the Stepien rule is handcuffing them with this pick

« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2018, 09:12:14 AM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
There are tons of similar rumours rn

Last one I read is that D. Dedmon exercised his player option to be included in a package with the Hawks 3rd pick

https://fansided.com/2018/06/21/dewayne-dedmon-option-timing-should-raise-trade-suspicions-hawks/

Same story every year with the pre-draft rumours, most of them is just speculation that anyone with some knowledge of the NBA could come up with

Dedmon would not exercise his player option based on thinking ATL might make a trade with him or not.  He would only exercise strictly based on this being the best financial move for him.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2018, 09:19:44 AM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
There are tons of similar rumours rn

Last one I read is that D. Dedmon exercised his player option to be included in a package with the Hawks 3rd pick

https://fansided.com/2018/06/21/dewayne-dedmon-option-timing-should-raise-trade-suspicions-hawks/

Same story every year with the pre-draft rumours, most of them is just speculation that anyone with some knowledge of the NBA could come up with

Yeah, I expected some major movement on draft day the last several years and have been disappointed, while this year I’m not expecting much. So hopefully the logic holds and we’ll see something exciting today/tonight!

« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2018, 09:48:04 AM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
I find it very hard to believe that Danny could get the best asset (#4 pick) in a trade, and not take on the bad contract (Parsons). However, this trade does make some sort of sense to me:

Boston: Memphis' #4 pick, Garrett Temple
Memphis: Zach Randolph, Marcus Morris, Memphis 2019 pick
Sacramento: Chandler Parsons, Sacramento 2019 pick, Boston's #27 pick

Memphis already has a relationship with Big Z, and it allows the team to be in a win now mentality, which it seems like the team desires. Marcus is the type of veteran that winning teams need. Also, Memphis will get back their pick for next year's draft.

If Sacramento does draft Bagley III, then it allows him to start from day one, and the Kings wouldn't have to worry about splitting minutes with Randolph either. Plus if they lose, the Kings will get their own pick in next year's draft too.

« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2018, 09:51:38 AM »

Online celticinorlando

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 637
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Parsons contract is too big an obstacle

No way Boston needs to take that titanic on

« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2018, 09:52:52 AM »

Offline Joyride

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 3
I find it very hard to believe that Danny could get the best asset (#4 pick) in a trade, and not take on the bad contract (Parsons). However, this trade does make some sort of sense to me:

Memphis already has a relationship with Big Z, and it allows the team to be in a win now mentality, which it seems like the team desires. Marcus is the type of veteran that winning teams need. Also, Memphis will get back their pick for next year's draft.

If Sacramento does draft Bagley III, then it allows him to start from day one, and the Kings wouldn't have to worry about splitting minutes with Randolph either. Plus if they lose, the Kings will get their own pick in next year's draft too.

I thought the whole deal with Memphis would have Rozier in it, and not Morris?

« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2018, 09:53:51 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
Parsons contract is too big an obstacle

No way Boston needs to take that titanic on
AGREE
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2018, 09:54:04 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166

I would think Memphis needs a little more out of this, Clippers pick too?
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2018, 09:54:16 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Memphis is not giving up the #4 pick to just get their own protected pick back and dump Parsons.

They want to move down a few slots AND dump Parsons deal.