Author Topic: Memphis shopping 4th pick (Celtics interested)  (Read 10284 times)

Re: Memphis shopping 4th pick (Celtics interested)
« Reply #45 on: June 21, 2018, 10:37:56 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
I would consider Kyrie for Parsons and #4.

But probably pass...

Put the bottle down please...
i wouldn't do that

BUT

it would be like magically turning the 8 pick into the 4 pick

Wouldn't it be magically losing a 1st round pick+8th pick technically?
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #46 on: June 21, 2018, 10:38:41 AM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111
I'd be willing to eat Parsons contract if we got Doncic. Sounds to me he could be the best player and having a 6'8" play maker we could have a future starting line up that is very big if lost KI or used him as a trade chip. Saying all that I do like KI and prefer to keep him.

We don't have the cap space to absorb his deal. We'd have to send back one of Horford/Hayward/Irving to make the deal. OR get a third team involved that would probably end up getting nothing of value.

This is a dead end..

« Reply #47 on: June 21, 2018, 10:41:25 AM »

Offline Geo123

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 33
What about Dallas?

#4 to Boston
SAC19, Marcus Morris ($5M), Wesley Matthews ($18.6M) to Memphis
#27, Rozier, Parsons ($24.1M) to Dallas

Memphis claims they want to compete this year. They get two quality veterans, dump Parsons, and still swap into the SAC pick next year.

Dallas picks up a 1st rounder, Rozier, tanks, and pays Parsons 1 more year than Matthews.

Boston flips SAC19, Rozier and #27 for #4... probably Bamba unless Doncic is somehow there.

Dallas wouldn't do that.  They'd be picking up $49.2 million  in Parson's salary for 2 years instead of just keeping Mathews and owing him $18.6 million.  That's over a $30 million cost and to only get  the 27th pick and Rozier????  Plus it kills your cap for 2 years not 1.  If you pick up that additional salary you''re doing it for a high lottery pick and nothing less.....

« Reply #48 on: June 21, 2018, 10:44:07 AM »

Offline Emmette Bryant

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 286
I remember the good old days when I would wake up the day after the draft. I'd look in the Boston Globe and find out that the Celtics had just drafted Steve Downing.
He didn't even crack 30 games did he?

He wasn't a very good pro.

Think I'll go out for a bike ride today. Hopefully I'll be the last person to find out what the Celtics are doing in the draft.

« Reply #49 on: June 21, 2018, 10:49:20 AM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
Would a deal be contingent on Sac taking Bagley at #2, thus guaranteeing one of Jackson or Doncic? Doncic fits in terms of that 6'6-6'9 versatility, winning attitude; Jackson would fit in terms of providing some very high level defense and 3 point spacing.

Or does it not matter, and it's all to take Bomba? Or someone else (ie Wendall Carter, the next Al Horford to learn under Al) (though if it is someone else, #4 seems high).

« Reply #50 on: June 21, 2018, 10:55:45 AM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
I'd be willing to eat Parsons contract if we got Doncic. Sounds to me he could be the best player and having a 6'8" play maker we could have a future starting line up that is very big if lost KI or used him as a trade chip. Saying all that I do like KI and prefer to keep him.

We don't have the cap space to absorb his deal. We'd have to send back one of Horford/Hayward/Irving to make the deal. OR get a third team involved that would probably end up getting nothing of value.

This is a dead end..

Yea I understand and am OMW to the gym but what about a mix of Rozier, MM and our scrubs? Also does Parsons play anymore or is he toast?

« Reply #51 on: June 21, 2018, 10:56:45 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
My god if we could somehow get Mo Bamba that would be amazing.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #52 on: June 21, 2018, 10:59:06 AM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111

This is a dead end..

Yea I understand and am OMW to the gym but what about a mix of Rozier, MM and our scrubs? Also does Parsons play anymore or is he toast?

Great I'm sure some team is just dying to take on Parsons and get MM. LOL

« Reply #53 on: June 21, 2018, 11:00:43 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
2 years at 49 million...dear god
The real issue with that contract is we don't have a crappy expiring or cap room to eat it.

We'd have to send good players for that crap.

« Reply #54 on: June 21, 2018, 11:01:13 AM »

Offline Spilling Green Dye

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 115
Ainge wants bamba or possibly doncic

That's what I am thinking too!  Man, that would be exciting, but of course I am not willing to give up too much.

Sac Pick, Memphis Pick, and some bench players (Yabasule or Semi, etc.).  I am less of a Rozier fan that most people on this board, but he is a good insurance policy for next year so I don't want to include him in a trade unless it's good value.

« Reply #55 on: June 21, 2018, 11:08:24 AM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes

But probably pass...

i wouldn't do that

BUT

8th pick, Crowder and the shadow of Isaiah Thomas for pick 4 and Chandler Parson's horrific contract? If that was what we did Ainge would be a laughing stock for a while
shadow of crowder too

but i wouldn't mind if ainge were perceived to be a laughing stock. then other gm's would be more inclined to deal

i'm a big believer in ainge and zarren so i'll trust whatever they do
I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #56 on: June 21, 2018, 11:11:39 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
You know Memphis would love to have their own pick back.

That thing is hamstringing their future flexibility - not only can they not tank if they decide they need to, but it affects/limits other future picks they could send out due to the Stepien rule.

To us it is a nice pick with upside - with them it a chance to control their own destiny again. Note that we sent back one of Minnesota's picks as part of the KG trade. Good stuff.

Would they? I think they're fine not having it as they intend to compete. If they were going full rebuild sure, but that's not what this looks like. They want to move Parsons in order to get 'compete now' players, all while remaining at the top of the draft

They would like to have it back.  Every team likes to control their own picks, if for no other reason than getting it back means it’s easier for them to trade future picks if needed.  And if they are unable to right the ship, giving up a future lottery pick, potentially unprotected in 2021, would be terrible optics.

The pick is more valuable to Memphis than it is any other team.  It’s valuable in general, but it probably has 5-10% more value to them.
It's definitely in the "nice to have" category. I don't see it as a driving factor behind doing a trade.

They are looking to offload Parsons, they are also looking, according to rumours, to want to stay in the top 7 to draft Wendall Carter Jr. By all accounts it looks like they are wanting to continue with contention as opposed to a rebuild, irregardless of this trade.

Knowing that, I wonder how much stock they place in an at best mid teens pick? I agree it gives them more flexibility in trading future picks but I don't think that overrides the other factors in evaluating these trade packages.

« Reply #57 on: June 21, 2018, 11:14:15 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Sources: Celtics expressing interest in trading up to top 4 of NBA Draft to pursue Luka Doncic, Mo Bamba or Jaren Jackson Jr. with Terry Rozier being potentially available.

https://t.co/StEgJU0o91?amp=1

« Reply #58 on: June 21, 2018, 11:15:19 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

But probably pass...

i wouldn't do that

BUT

8th pick, Crowder and the shadow of Isaiah Thomas for pick 4 and Chandler Parson's horrific contract? If that was what we did Ainge would be a laughing stock for a while
shadow of crowder too

but i wouldn't mind if ainge were perceived to be a laughing stock. then other gm's would be more inclined to deal

i'm a big believer in ainge and zarren so i'll trust whatever they do

If you're a big believer in Ainge, then you should believe that he would rarely ever give up lopsided deals just to convince people to trade with him again. Ainge normally stands pat, with the exception of Winslow and a few other deals in the past.

Ainge learns from his mistakes, bad GM's generally don't.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #59 on: June 21, 2018, 11:24:04 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Sources: Celtics expressing interest in trading up to top 4 of NBA Draft to pursue Luka Doncic, Mo Bamba or Jaren Jackson Jr. with Terry Rozier being potentially available.

https://t.co/StEgJU0o91?amp=1

Hahahaha! That means that Smart is headed out in a trade to Dallas for #5. Mark it.
(it's all about misdirection when it comes to Danny Ainge)
Celtics fan for life.