Author Topic: Russillo: Celtics Will "Aggressively" Try To Trade Into Top 10 Of Draft  (Read 14222 times)

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
If we could get Carter with Rozier, our 1st, and the Kings pick, I would do it.

I think the most likely outcome for the Sacto pick is 7-12 next year.

Why not get a comparable pick this year at a position of need? His floor seems pretty high - already has an NBA-ready body and some perimeter game, high BBIQ, willing defender. He might plug in for 10-15 minutes right away and be ready to replace Al in 2 years when (if we are lucky) Jaylen will have earned a fat contract.

Whoa, I’m a huge Wendell Carter fan, but the Kings pick is a bridge too far.  I think the Memphis pick is also too much.  The highest I’d go is Rozier, #27, and next year’s 1st with top-4 protection.
Not a chance the Sacramento pick isn't in play. It's the first of a few assets heading out if DA trades that far up.

Shouldn’t be with Rozier and this year’s pick already included, at least not for anything outside the top 5, which is where Carter projects to.

Are we allowed to add some more protections to the Kings Pick, like we give them that pick and make it protected 2-5 for US? Otherwise, I don't see a team like Orlando doing it unless the Kings Pick is included to be honest, or at least one of the Kings/Grizzlies Picks.

Nope, as already answered earlier today in the Luka Doncic thread.   :)

Ah okay, thanks. And I never checked that thread today so didn't know

I think people are overvaluing the Sacramento pick. If they hadn’t won the lottery this year, they would’ve picked what, 7th? While they might win the lottery again or decline, I don’t know we would expect that. They’re adding the second pick, and they have no incentive to tank. If they win even a few more games they could be 10th or 12th.

To me, Getting the seventh pick this year as a sure thing, and getting a guy we need, is pretty good value compared to the uncertainty of the Sacramento pic. The other thing that will make this pic hard to use, which I don’t think people are fully taking into account is the downside risk of Sacramento actually wins the lottery. A general manager who turns this year’s seven pick  into next years 25th or 26th is going to have some explaining to do. I am not sure what kind of protection we can offer – probably it would need to be an additional pick.

More than usual this past season there seems like there was a big cluster of bad teams at the bottom of the league.  The Kings only finished 6 games behind the worst team in the league, the Suns.  I wouldn’t be surprised if some of those teams like the Suns (with a healthy Booker), the Grizzlies (a healthy Conley), the Mavs, and Bulls leapfrog them.  The Kings aren’t really much different than the Hawks and Magic so anything can happen.  Also some of the vets that helped like Zach Randolph might move on to better teams.

The other thing people forget is that this years team was lycky. By next rating they were bottom 3, they won close,games at a huge rate relative to talent. Not a trend that likely to continue next year. If they more or less stand pat that will regress and they will be bad. As for their puck, im not worried. No  rookie this year is adding a big boost to winning.
The Kings had an incentive to lose this season.  Next season they don't.  They may be bottom 5 going into the all-star game but then the other bad teams are going to start tanking.  There is also the issue of the pick being #1 protected. 

Let's say the Kings finish 5th worst record next season.  The lottery odds break down as: 

#1 pick:         10.5%  reverts to Sixers pick likely to be mid 20s
#2-#5 pick:    31.6% 
#6-#9 pick:    57.9% 

That's just not that valuable of a pick at this point especially since everyone continues to say that next year's draft class doesn't look good at this point.

The kings will still stink regardless if they have an incentive to tank or not.
They stunk this year and only finished with the 7th worst record.

And they'll stink next year.
And they could finish with the 7th worst record again next season.

Offline celticpride1

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 40
Will be very interesting how it all plays out.

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277

Why not get a comparable pick this year at a position of need? His floor seems pretty high - already has an NBA-ready body and some perimeter game, high BBIQ, willing defender. He might plug in for 10-15 minutes right away and be ready to replace Al in 2 years when (if we are lucky) Jaylen will have earned a fat contract.

Whoa, I’m a huge Wendell Carter fan, but the Kings pick is a bridge too far.  I think the Memphis pick is also too much.  The highest I’d go is Rozier, #27, and next year’s 1st with top-4 protection.
Not a chance the Sacramento pick isn't in play. It's the first of a few assets heading out if DA trades that far up.

Shouldn’t be with Rozier and this year’s pick already included, at least not for anything outside the top 5, which is where Carter projects to.

Are we allowed to add some more protections to the Kings Pick, like we give them that pick and make it protected 2-5 for US? Otherwise, I don't see a team like Orlando doing it unless the Kings Pick is included to be honest, or at least one of the Kings/Grizzlies Picks.

I think people are overvaluing the Sacramento pick. If they hadn’t won the lottery this year, they would’ve picked what, 7th? While they might win the lottery again or decline, I don’t know we would expect that. They’re adding the second pick, and they have no incentive to tank. If they win even a few more games they could be 10th or 12th.

To me, Getting the seventh pick this year as a sure thing, and getting a guy we need, is pretty good value compared to the uncertainty of the Sacramento pic. The other thing that will make this pic hard to use, which I don’t think people are fully taking into account is the downside risk of Sacramento actually wins the lottery. A general manager who turns this year’s seven pick  into next years 25th or 26th is going to have some explaining to do. I am not sure what kind of protection we can offer – probably it would need to be an additional pick.

More than usual this past season there seems like there was a big cluster of bad teams at the bottom of the league.  The Kings only finished 6 games behind the worst team in the league, the Suns.  I wouldn’t be surprised if some of those teams like the Suns (with a healthy Booker), the Grizzlies (a healthy Conley), the Mavs, and Bulls leapfrog them.  The Kings aren’t really much different than the Hawks and Magic so anything can happen.  Also some of the vets that helped like Zach Randolph might move on to better teams.

The other thing people forget is that this years team was lycky. By next rating they were bottom 3, they won close,games at a huge rate relative to talent. Not a trend that likely to continue next year. If they more or less stand pat that will regress and they will be bad. As for their puck, im not worried. No  rookie this year is adding a big boost to winning.
The Kings had an incentive to lose this season.  Next season they don't.  They may be bottom 5 going into the all-star game but then the other bad teams are going to start tanking.  There is also the issue of the pick being #1 protected. 

Let's say the Kings finish 5th worst record next season.  The lottery odds break down as: 

That's just not that valuable of a pick at this point especially since everyone continues to say that next year's draft class doesn't look good at this point.

Means that theyll still stink regardless if they have a motivation to tank or not.

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386

Means that theyll still stink regardless if they have a motivation to tank or not.

I think they'll be one of the three worst teams.  I just can't find teams who project as worse next year...of course injuries throw things out of whack...

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
I have to laugh when I see someone say such-and-such team has no incentive to tank, as though the only teams that are bad are the ones that want to be bad. Do people really have that short of memories? The Celtics just got the #3 and #1 picks from a team that had no incentive to tank.

How bad Sacramento is will have to do with how bad their team is, not how much management wants to win.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 08:06:35 AM by Big333223 »
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
http://twitter.com/ForeverGreen_/status/1009655280114814976

Things heating up!

It’s going to be quite difficult to find a team to take on Parsons for 1-2 late 1sts.  That kills your cap space for two years, and there are very few teams with that kind of space available this summer.

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
http://twitter.com/ForeverGreen_/status/1009655280114814976

Things heating up!

It’s going to be quite difficult to find a team to take on Parsons for 1-2 late 1sts.  That kills your cap space for two years, and there are very few teams with that kind of space available this summer.
Yeah, 2 more years at $50 million is A LOT but a team that knows they won't be able to get big time FA and that has a lot of cap space could be lured into a trade if the return is worth it and you only have to carry Parsons for 2 years and maybe less as the last year of such bloated contracts are sometimes worth it in trades and he could get healthy and put up numbers he did in Houston.

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323

This was true of the Nets too, when we traded with them and guess what we got some really high picks.   So your comment means zilch.

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
I have to laugh when I see someone say such-and-such team has no incentive to tank, as though the only teams that are bad are the ones that want to be bad. Do people really have that short of memories? The Celtics just got the #3 and #1 picks from a team that had no incentive to tank.

How bad Sacramento is will have to do with how bad their team is, not how much management wants to win.

Clearly the players (who care so much about future draft picks) and coaches (who have tons of job security and won't mind a couple more losses on their resume) will tank if the front office wants them to
I'm bitter.

Offline mef623

• Maine Celtic
  • Tommy Points: 0
I think it's possible Ainge is after one of those bigs. I doubt it's Bomba. The rumor is Orlando's #6 could be had for Rozier and the Sac pick. Orlando needs a PG, and Rozier is a good fit.

From your lips...

I’d take that deal right now.

Mike

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 907
Wow, I have no idea where that account came from. Mods, how do I delete the account above (mef623)?

Mike

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Wow, I have no idea where that account came from. Mods, how do I delete the account above (mef623)?

Mike
The more Mike’s the merrier!
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
Wendell Carter aka Al Horford, Jr. from Duke.

ORL would be a nice target as they need a PG and future picks too.

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Wendell Carter aka Al Horford, Jr. from Duke.

ORL would be a nice target as they need a PG and future picks too.
I see Wendell as a more Atlanta Al Horford type player than the one we've experienced (who are drastically different players). Maybe he's a bit stronger too, but less of a ball-handler.

Would love WCJ
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)