Author Topic: Zach Lowe compares Kawhi and Jaylen  (Read 7334 times)

Zach Lowe compares Kawhi and Jaylen
« on: June 20, 2018, 11:58:37 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Re: Zach Lowe compares Kawhi and Jaylen
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2018, 12:10:41 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Good read, thanks for sharing.

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2018, 12:11:40 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 637
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Brown needs to get ball strong in traffic going to the rim. He had a lot of strips

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2018, 12:24:16 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Nice appreciation for the nuances:

Brown is a monster athlete, but his explosiveness doesn't translate into games as much as it should. That will change as he hones his feel and his jumper. Skills are not discrete things. They interact. One skill amplifies or diminishes another. As Brown becomes more confident and anticipatory with the ball, his athleticism will sing louder. He will gain separation more easily.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2018, 12:30:20 PM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
Welcome to the dance Zach Lowe.  I, plus others on this board,  have been comparing the two for a couple of years now.  I thought Brown was the next Kawhi coming out of college.  The scouting reports were eerily similar....
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2018, 12:32:42 PM »

Offline 18isGREATERthan72

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 34
With the uncertainty of Kawhi resigning and the fact that he hardly played last year I still lean toward just keeping Brown.

I won't put the monstrous expectations of becoming the next Kawhi on Brown, but his current production is encouraging and if he stays largely the same with Tatum ascending to a superstar level and Kyrie resigning with Hayward in the mix, I can live with Brown being our fourth best scoring option...  All while being significantly more affordable, younger, and without the unknown injury.

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2018, 12:39:35 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
Nice article as always from Lowe. Ultimately he reaches what is probably the right conclusion, you probably should include Jaylen in a Kawhi trade. But I wouldn't. He brings up many of he things Jaylen supporter (myself included) like to talk when we discuss his upside. He is not as bad of a ball handler as people make him out to be, as Lowe points out he has some nascent feel for keeping defenders on his hip, hitting pull up jumpers and even some nice dribble moves. He problems come more from not quite having the feel for the game, its not that he doesn't have the dribble its that he doesn't know how to use it yet. And I'm very confident he will improve that, most young players do. Its a matter of how much. Jaylen could be an All NBA level player, no guarantees but I'd roll with what we got and risk it.

Ultimately I think people forget that the kid was just 21. He was billed as a raw project who coming out of college and in year 2 was one of the top two options (Tatum and him alternated) on an ECF team. He's made as much progress as you could ask for.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 12:44:42 PM by keevsnick »

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2018, 12:47:47 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Remember when Zach Lowe wrote for CelticsHub.com?  This is the type of material that he was writing then that got him gigs at SI and ESPN.  I love to see the Celtic-centric material.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2018, 12:55:23 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Remember when Zach Lowe wrote for CelticsHub.com?  This is the type of material that he was writing then that got him gigs at SI and ESPN.  I love to see the Celtic-centric material.

Yup.  He's a fine writer, too.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2018, 01:04:49 PM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349
I really don’t want Kawhi. At some point we need to have an off-season where we keep our guys...

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2018, 01:04:53 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
They are not similar.... body type, explosiveness, shooting mechanics,  think the game differently.  Defensive versatility is the only one thing in common, but Kawhi is a step ahead of course

Brown needs to "calm" his mind in crucial situations and focus on taking the right shot/making the correct play.  Needs to improve on jump shot/FT shot.  Be assertive when attacking the basket

Expecting him to noticeably improve handles is a fantasy. 

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2018, 01:06:02 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
I see 2 things from this article that could prevent Brown from being quite like Kawhi which is Kawhi’s enormous wingspan and giant hands (allowing him to be stronger with the ball).  One adavantage Brown has at this stage is shooting non corner 3’s better.

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2018, 01:10:32 PM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Brown's eurostep and off-hand are both better than Leonard's at the same stage.

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2018, 01:14:18 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
They are not similar.... body type, explosiveness, shooting mechanics,  think the game differently.  Defensive versatility is the only one thing in common, but Kawhi is a step ahead of course

Brown needs to "calm" his mind in crucial situations and focus on taking the right shot/making the correct play.  Needs to improve on jump shot/FT shot.  Be assertive when attacking the basket

Expecting him to noticeably improve handles is a fantasy.

Aside from the FTs, aren't these all issues Kawhi had to overcome as he developed his offensive game?

Agree that we shouldn't expect Brown to reach the DPOY/Finals MVP/Likely Top 5 player level Kawhi got to before the injury but they really don't seem that dissimilar to me.

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2018, 01:21:34 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Nice article as always from Lowe. Ultimately he reaches what is probably the right conclusion, you probably should include Jaylen in a Kawhi trade. But I wouldn't. He brings up many of he things Jaylen supporter (myself included) like to talk when we discuss his upside. He is not as bad of a ball handler as people make him out to be, as Lowe points out he has some nascent feel for keeping defenders on his hip, hitting pull up jumpers and even some nice dribble moves. He problems come more from not quite having the feel for the game, its not that he doesn't have the dribble its that he doesn't know how to use it yet. And I'm very confident he will improve that, most young players do. Its a matter of how much. Jaylen could be an All NBA level player, no guarantees but I'd roll with what we got and risk it.

Ultimately I think people forget that the kid was just 21. He was billed as a raw project who coming out of college and in year 2 was one of the top two options (Tatum and him alternated) on an ECF team. He's made as much progress as you could ask for.
Sure, he’ll improve his feel for the game.  But he has below average feel for his age and experience.  How does he go from below average to average (or above), which he’ll need to become a star?