Should the C’s target Dwight in FA?

Yes
29 (42%)
No
33 (47.8%)
Unsure
7 (10.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

Author Topic: Dwight Howard Signed by Wizards (updated Dwightmare thread)  (Read 24061 times)

Re: Dwightmare traded to Nets/Now FA. Should Cs target?
« Reply #165 on: June 21, 2018, 11:09:35 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
Looks like by drafting Robert Williams, we are no longer interested in Dwight Howard?

tru Dat

« Reply #166 on: June 21, 2018, 11:49:36 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
Looks like by drafting Robert Williams, we are no longer interested in Dwight Howard?

I say why not both.  Williams might not be ready for rotation minutes for a while, and Howard just put 16 and 12 last year.

« Reply #167 on: June 21, 2018, 11:53:27 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

I say why not both.  Williams might not be ready for rotation minutes for a while, and Howard just put 16 and 12 last year.
I guess Baynes is a goner in this instance
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #168 on: June 21, 2018, 11:59:05 PM »

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 269

I guess Baynes is a goner in this instance

From what I read, it sounds like re-signing Baynes will be a priority.

« Reply #169 on: June 22, 2018, 12:12:37 AM »

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 269
It may come down to this.

Would you rather sign Baynes, both a great fit and teammate, for the MLE or would you sign Dwight, a better player but substantially worse teammate, for the veteran's minimum?

You know what you're going to get with Baynes. A solid role player who is good for 15-20 minutes of bruising defense a night, and he'll be the first guy to cheer the team on from the bench. At the price of the mid-level exception, Baynes is the perfect backup big for this team.

On the other hand, you don't know what you're going to get with Dwight. He still is an above average player who is good for 25-30 minutes of terrific play on both sides of the floor, but that may come at the expense of a happy locker room. At the price of a veteran's minimum, Dwight is an overqualified backup big no matter where he goes.

Personally, I think that will be a tough decision for Danny.

« Reply #170 on: June 22, 2018, 12:14:11 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Would you rather sign Baynes, both a great fit and teammate, for the MLE or would you sign Dwight, a better player but substantially worse teammate, for the veteran's minimum?

You know what you're going to get with Baynes. A solid role player who is good for 15-20 minutes of bruising defense a night, and he'll be the first guy to cheer the team on from the bench. At the price of the mid-level exception, Baynes is the perfect backup big for this team.

On the other hand, you don't know what you're going to get with Dwight. He still is an above average player who is good for 25-30 minutes of terrific play on both sides of the floor, but that may come at the expense of a happy locker room. At the price of a veteran's minimum, Dwight is an overqualified backup big no matter where he goes.

Jeesh. This is tough. I love Baynes as well.

I really hope GSW can't get Dwight. He's like an uber Javale McGee
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #171 on: June 22, 2018, 03:53:06 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Non-guaranteed minimum.

Wow, wonder if he would consider that.

« Reply #172 on: June 22, 2018, 04:01:35 PM »

Offline bknova

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 73
If we re-sign Baynes you can rest assured we won't move on Dwight.  Our bigs rotation becomes Horford, Baynes, Theis, Morris, and Williams.  No room for him. 

« Reply #173 on: June 22, 2018, 04:26:06 PM »

Offline goCeltics

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 68
I wouldn't sign Baynes for more than his non bird offer which is around $5 mill. I would sign Howard with the taxpayer MLE which is also around 5 mill. I think there are enough minutes for both, especially if Marcus moves on which I expect.

« Reply #174 on: June 22, 2018, 04:32:47 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
When were the Celtics ever interested in Howard? Some fans, sure, but there's been nothing put out the Cs are interested. Seriously doubt they ever will be.

« Reply #175 on: June 22, 2018, 04:41:06 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
When were the Celtics ever interested in Howard? Some fans, sure, but there's been nothing put out the Cs are interested. Seriously doubt they ever will be.

Calvin Watkins: Boston and Atlanta have secured the first meetings with the center. Portland and Charlotte have also expressed interest in Howard, who declined a player option with the Rockets at $23.2 million.

We've been linked for the past few years now. But I'm pretty sure as of recently that has cooled down.

But recently Sherrod A. Blakely is reporting that we're interested. Which means..

We probably aren't.  8) ::) ::) ::)
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #176 on: June 22, 2018, 04:52:05 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji

Jeesh. This is tough. I love Baynes as well.

I really hope GSW can't get Dwight. He's like an uber Javale McGee

LOL ::).

« Reply #177 on: June 22, 2018, 05:24:56 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Calvin Watkins: Boston and Atlanta have secured the first meetings with the center. Portland and Charlotte have also expressed interest in Howard, who declined a player option with the Rockets at $23.2 million.

We've been linked for the past few years now. But I'm pretty sure as of recently that has cooled down.

But recently Sherrod A. Blakely is reporting that we're interested. Which means..

We probably aren't.  8) ::) ::) ::)
I stand corrected but would be completely stunned for the Cs to do anything with Howard. Guy is a clown and would be awful around the youth

« Reply #178 on: June 23, 2018, 12:24:47 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
After drafting Williams and with the likelihood Baynes is coming back... I don't see the C's even considering Dwight anymore. Even if they did, how many minutes would he get on the floor? Not much.

"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #179 on: June 23, 2018, 12:35:23 PM »

Offline mrceltics2013

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 15
After drafting Williams and with the likelihood Baynes is coming back... I don't see the C's even considering Dwight anymore. Even if they did, how many minutes would he get on the floor? Not much.

So y’all think a 18 year old 27th pick rookie is what makes us not draft a vet who can snag 30 boards on any given night? He is the 27th pick ppl...Yabusele was higher than that and hardly get burn what the heck..... Dwight  would by far our best bet at Center  idk what y’all smoking but I want it.

If you had the choice of Baynes or Dwight Howard for same pay please explain to me how you pick Baynes??