Should the C’s target Dwight in FA?

Yes
29 (42%)
No
33 (47.8%)
Unsure
7 (10.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

Author Topic: Dwight Howard Signed by Wizards (updated Dwightmare thread)  (Read 24050 times)

Re: Dwightmare traded to Nets
« Reply #60 on: June 20, 2018, 01:11:32 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Has there ever been a more disposable future Hall of Famer? It's not like he's cooked yet.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 02:22:10 PM by fairweatherfan »

« Reply #61 on: June 20, 2018, 01:14:42 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Funny that the 45th pick CHA receives is from the Tyler Zeller for Rashad Vaughn trade.  ;D

« Reply #62 on: June 20, 2018, 01:49:19 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Funny how the world works. Remember when D12 to the Nets was big news?

Yeah. Back before the era of small-ball and 3-point longball shooting existed.
Dwight was great in the 4 out one in system that SVG ran. He'd have been great in the current style of play as well.

He was undone by his back injury that sapped his athleticism. He's not close to what he was back then. Back then he was a quicker Gobert who was a terror on offense to handle.

You live with all the childish BS when he was all-nba and/or MVP level, now you don't bother.

« Reply #63 on: June 20, 2018, 02:06:05 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Raise your hand if you’re entertaining the thought of Dwight being bought out and signing for the minimum...    :angel:

« Reply #64 on: June 20, 2018, 02:09:52 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
Raise your hand if you’re entertaining the thought of Dwight being bought out and signing for the minimum...    :angel:

Do you mean to anyone or by us?

« Reply #65 on: June 20, 2018, 02:12:00 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

Do you mean to anyone or by us?

By us.  Although in general I hope he gets bought out because that adds one center to the market, lowering the price of all others.

« Reply #66 on: June 20, 2018, 02:14:07 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 866
  • GOT IT!!!

Don't see Ainge going after a guy with his questionable character flaws.

« Reply #67 on: June 20, 2018, 02:18:37 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan

Don't see Ainge going after a guy with his questionable character flaws.

I doubt it also but it does make me think. I don't think Dwight can handle being a backup or not being the "go to" guy.

« Reply #68 on: June 20, 2018, 02:39:45 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

Dwight was great in the 4 out one in system that SVG ran. He'd have been great in the current style of play as well.

He was undone by his back injury that sapped his athleticism. He's not close to what he was back then. Back then he was a quicker Gobert who was a terror on offense to handle.

You live with all the childish BS when he was all-nba and/or MVP level, now you don't bother.

Yeah, Prime Dwight as I remember him had the ability to do what many of the low-skill physically-dominant centers of today struggle to do -- punish mismatches inside.  Dwight didn't have many moves at all down low but he was so strong it didn't matter, he could back down and take one step to the baseline, turn, and dunk over most smaller players.

Compare that to guys like Deandre, Gobert, Capela, Drummond etc who struggle to score efficiently around the basket unless they've got a clear lane rolling to the rim or are finishing an alley-oop.

There's certainly still room in the modern game for a big man that grabs 25% of available rebounds, finishes over 65% within 5 feet of the basket, and can easily go for 25-30 on 70% shooting if the opponent fails to put a pure big man with some size on him in the low post.

Problem is that it's a pretty high bar to clear.  Most rim running 5s in today's game are more in the Tyson Chandler mold, i.e. not much of a back to the basket game, struggle to shoot over 50% on post-ups even against much smaller players.

Plus of course, the big men with superstar talent coming into the league now aren't working on their back down game, they're trying to develop guard skills and a faceup game while they're still in college so they can hit outside shots and attack closeouts a la Anthony Davis or Karl Towns.  It makes sense to develop those skills.

But I'm kind of hoping that we see a 7 foot, 280 pound physical freak enter the league who can absolutely kill defenders inside.  And I don't mean one who likes to rely on fade-aways and step-backs like Joel Embiid.  I mean a guy who does what Dwight used to do, i.e. catch, turn and dunk within 3-4 seconds if the guy defending him wasn't an absolute tree.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #69 on: June 20, 2018, 05:28:59 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
The Hornets will also create a $7.8M trade exception as @AlbertNahmad noted.

https://twitter.com/BobbyMarks42/status/1009444026515419136

« Reply #70 on: June 20, 2018, 05:53:52 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

Yeah, Prime Dwight as I remember him had the ability to do what many of the low-skill physically-dominant centers of today struggle to do -- punish mismatches inside.  Dwight didn't have many moves at all down low but he was so strong it didn't matter, he could back down and take one step to the baseline, turn, and dunk over most smaller players.

Compare that to guys like Deandre, Gobert, Capela, Drummond etc who struggle to score efficiently around the basket unless they've got a clear lane rolling to the rim or are finishing an alley-oop.

There's certainly still room in the modern game for a big man that grabs 25% of available rebounds, finishes over 65% within 5 feet of the basket, and can easily go for 25-30 on 70% shooting if the opponent fails to put a pure big man with some size on him in the low post.

Problem is that it's a pretty high bar to clear.  Most rim running 5s in today's game are more in the Tyson Chandler mold, i.e. not much of a back to the basket game, struggle to shoot over 50% on post-ups even against much smaller players.

Plus of course, the big men with superstar talent coming into the league now aren't working on their back down game, they're trying to develop guard skills and a faceup game while they're still in college so they can hit outside shots and attack closeouts a la Anthony Davis or Karl Towns.  It makes sense to develop those skills.

But I'm kind of hoping that we see a 7 foot, 280 pound physical freak enter the league who can absolutely kill defenders inside.  And I don't mean one who likes to rely on fade-aways and step-backs like Joel Embiid.  I mean a guy who does what Dwight used to do, i.e. catch, turn and dunk within 3-4 seconds if the guy defending him wasn't an absolute tree.

Yeah Embid could be unstoppable down low. I don't know why he is obsessed with shooting 3's. i mean i think it is great he can have the threat, but he seems to want to camp out there.

« Reply #71 on: June 20, 2018, 05:58:45 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

Yeah Embid could be unstoppable down low. I don't know why he is obsessed with shooting 3's. i mean i think it is great he can have the threat, but he seems to want to camp out there.

If you’d played all of 130 games over 5 years (including college and the playoffs) due to injury, you might want to protect your health and stay on the perimeter a bit extra as well.

« Reply #72 on: June 20, 2018, 06:05:23 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 907
Somewhere back in time, there is a thread in which A LOT of CBers were upset that we got stuck with Horford instead of Dwight...

Mike

« Reply #73 on: June 20, 2018, 06:09:36 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Somewhere back in time, there is a thread in which A LOT of CBers were upset that we got stuck with Horford instead of Dwight...

Mike

I think we should instead thank Dwight for getting Horford here. Feels like once ATL signed Dwight, Horford's time in ATL was over. Despite Woj scaring us that day, it always felt like he was considering between WAS and BOS that day AFTER Howard signed in ATL. It's also telling IMO that the Hawks and Hornets have dumped him for garbage each of the last two years, and that Horford was NOT willing to play alongside him. Makes me wonder if Horford is here in Boston if Atlanta didn't sign Howard.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #74 on: June 20, 2018, 06:32:50 PM »

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • The voice of reason
Oh God I remember this.

Being a Celtics fan from Orlando (hate the Magic), I was torn between the Magic getting a haul from the Nets and the Lakers getting Dwight Howard. Either way, I was miserable.