Should the C’s target Dwight in FA?

Yes
29 (42%)
No
33 (47.8%)
Unsure
7 (10.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

Author Topic: Dwight Howard Signed by Wizards (updated Dwightmare thread)  (Read 24056 times)

Re: Dwightmare traded to Nets
« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2018, 10:31:44 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Still trying to figure this out from Charlotte's POV. 

Then again, it's Charlotte so there very well might be little logic to it.

Charlotte was about $4 million over the luxury tax threshold. They get about $3.7 million under it with this trade. It's still a coup for the Nets, though.

Yeah, that's what I was able to gather.

Save some money now, continue to suck but not suck enough, and still show no real direction. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2018, 10:32:05 AM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
Still trying to figure this out from Charlotte's POV. 

Then again, it's Charlotte so there very well might be little logic to it.

Charlotte is trying to save money and they don't really believe in their core. Mozgov earns 8 million less than Howard next year, so with this move they'll probably be able to stay under the tax. That will be the most important argument.

Howard might be a difficult personality in the locker room (although he had a good season i.m.o.) and they have a starting calibre center in Cody Zeller anyhow, so the loss isn't huge.

Charlotte probably is willing to trade anybody for the right price. They'd even part with Walker since his contract ends next year, but if not they will try to make the playoffs. The two second rounders can be seen as a slow start of a rebuild, but that will take years and the FO will know that so staying semi-relevant is their course. 

Edit: Couldn't Charlotte have gotten a better deal if they'd made a trade with Cleveland this winter? Tristan Thompson would still be a lot better than Mozgov (why did the Lakers give Mozgov a 64 million contract anyway???)
« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 10:37:56 AM by RodyTur10 »

« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2018, 10:38:36 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I'm not concerned about Brooklyn as a 2019 free agent threat.  I don't see why two max free agents would want to sign to play in Brooklyn with Allen Crabbe, Caris Lavert, Jarrett Allen, Isaiah Whitehead and literally nobody else.

It’s potentially 3 max players.  Crabbe makes enough money to go a long way towards matching salaries. Get two free agents, and line up a trade for a third max player, either someone under contract or via a sign-and trade.

« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2018, 10:39:16 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Pretty drastic shift in the landscape of the East.

Are the Nets now on Kawhi's radar?  And if so, can we somehow upgrade to Joe Harris?

Something like Brown + 27 + salary for Harris?
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2018, 10:39:24 AM »

Offline Mike Pemulis

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 38
Dwight should've be part of the b-boat crew, but after the olympics, no one picked him for their super teams. He became the outcast. He should be revered as the best player at his position of the b-boat generation. He made more Finals than Melo or CP but all I'll remember him for was being on the Magic team that disrupted the re-ignition of sports' greatest rivalry. Ironically, he's the remix of the '94 Magic team, just without ever having figured it out. To quote coach Jack O'Reilly, "now you're not even a has been, Bombay. You're a never was."
« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 11:01:59 AM by Mike Pemulis »
Allston, MA --> Enfield Tennis Academy

« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2018, 10:42:01 AM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
Kemba will get traded next. Whether to Cleveland, or New York, or Utah... I'm guessing it likely happens sometime in the coming days (maybe even Draft Night itself).

That said CLE is in a bit of a pickle. Do they trade #8 for Kemba to convince Lebron to come back, or just use #8 on someone. Lebron hasn't really said anything to them apparently. If I'm CLE I do the latter. Lebron's screwed Cleveland (first time) and Miami right before leaving, don't fall for it again.

Deal based on #8 for Kemba seems to make a ton of sense to me.  Charlotte could even pick up Larry Nance too by taking on one of Cavs bad contracts since Hornets are already going nowhere in the next two years with the deals they already have on hand.  At #8 there will be a player on the board (Trae Young, Porter, Bamba, Sexton) that could be a far better fit for a rebuilding timeline for Charlotte.

#8 + Larry Nance Jr + JR Smith for Kemba + Dwayne Bacon works
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2018, 10:44:08 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
I think this is a really smart trade by Brooklyn. Dwight wanted to go to the Nets a long time ago, gets his wish under very different circumstances. However I think it's a good opportunity for both sides.

As for 2019, I still believe Kawhi could go to New York, the Nets could well be a possibility. Marks has that Spurs connection too...

« Reply #37 on: June 20, 2018, 10:48:09 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Funny how the world works. Remember when D12 to the Nets was big news?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #38 on: June 20, 2018, 10:49:38 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
Wow..traded again..he must be a bad teammate
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #39 on: June 20, 2018, 10:51:01 AM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
I'm not concerned about Brooklyn as a 2019 free agent threat.  I don't see why two max free agents would want to sign to play in Brooklyn with Allen Crabbe, Caris Lavert, Jarrett Allen, Isaiah Whitehead and literally nobody else.

It’s potentially 3 max players.  Crabbe makes enough money to go a long way towards matching salaries. Get two free agents, and line up a trade for a third max player, either someone under contract or via a sign-and trade.

OK.  I'm having trouble seeing what team will trade a max player for Allen Crabbe.  Brooklyn has no other assets to throw in, although I suppose something could develop this year (tough with no draft picks this year though).  I suppose in a S&T it is possible, but I just see it highly highly unlikely.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #40 on: June 20, 2018, 10:52:19 AM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan

Are the Nets now on Kawhi's radar?  And if so, can we somehow upgrade to Joe Harris?

« Reply #41 on: June 20, 2018, 10:54:56 AM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065

Good young coach, great system, and the benefit of playing in a big market team.

So, like the Celtics minus the good players?

« Reply #42 on: June 20, 2018, 10:56:37 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
My memory is tortured by wanting him for some reason after that year in Atlanta...

Dude is gonna STRUGGLE to get another contract after next year.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #43 on: June 20, 2018, 10:57:23 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

OK.  I'm having trouble seeing what team will trade a max player for Allen Crabbe.  Brooklyn has no other assets to throw in, although I suppose something could develop this year (tough with no draft picks this year though).  I suppose in a S&T it is possible, but I just see it highly highly unlikely.

No, I mean in the summer of 2019.  At that point Crabbe will be an expiring and they’ll have their own lottery pick to dangle, as well as future picks and some other okay prospects.  So if they line up a deal, they can sign two max FA’s outright and then get a third via trade.

I should note I don’t think this is probable, but they’ve done a good job being patient and taking their medicine the last few years, so they can offer a clean slate to stars looking for a big market.

« Reply #44 on: June 20, 2018, 11:03:09 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412

seriously??
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin