Author Topic: Morris Reunites with Bro Trade, Gets Big Minutes (idea)  (Read 2110 times)

Morris Reunites with Bro Trade, Gets Big Minutes (idea)
« on: June 19, 2018, 09:16:56 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=y78vdzx6

Celtics receive:       Jonathon Simmons, Shelvin Mack, pick 15, pick 41.

Wizards receive:     Vucevic, Marcus Morris, Jabari Bird, pick 35

Magic receive:        Rozier, Gortat, Yabusele, Jason Smith, Boston 2019 1st round pick (pick 30 :)

(does adding a second first round pick (#15) sink the Celtics financially?  ask others)

Gortat is 34 years old and Vucevic 27.  So the Wiz add Marcus Morris and gain 7 years in their center position while improving chemstry, and add pick 35 in a deep draft, and so give up pick 15.

The Magic get the point guard they want while going back to ex-Magic Gortat, with some insurance in the prospect Yabusele and a first round pick next year (pick 28, 29 or 30 most likely)

For the Celtics, I like Morris and his toughness and supported him all year....but I think the Celtics wing depth plus Theis return can replace him...Gordon Hayward is huge...he can take Morris' minutes..and so can Brown/Tatum/Theis, and hopefully Ojeleye.  Rozier's minutes can be taken by a combination of Brown, Hayward, Smart and Mack.  Simmons a nice wing backup....

And adding pick 15....Zhaire Smith?  Khyri Thomas?  Robert Williams?  Excellent options there...
pick 41 (Bonga, Spellman, Wagner...etc etc...)

« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 10:18:56 PM by wiley »

Re: Morris Reunites with Bro Trade, Gets Big Minutes
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2018, 09:21:38 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
This is a rebuilding trade. The Celtics are no longer in rebuilding mode. There is zero chance this happens.

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2018, 09:43:51 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I doubt any of the teams would be enthusiastic about that trade.

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2018, 10:11:24 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3148
I doubt any of the teams would be enthusiastic about that trade.

The Wizards....

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2018, 10:17:33 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 987
Pls insert "Idea:" in front of topic so some readers can distinguish between a real trade or a trade idea.

I almost panicked when I saw Marcus Morris getting traded to the Wizards.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2018, 10:17:58 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
This is a rebuilding trade. The Celtics are no longer in rebuilding mode. There is zero chance this happens.

I agree with the zero chance.  I'm more interested in killing time by discussing other aspects.  But if others aren't into that I understand.

I'm curious though what your minutes breakdown is for next year.  Specifically how many minutes do you see for Morris?  And is he a guy who will be a glue guy if he's not playing? 

And I don't see giving up Rozier, Morris and Yabusele as a rebuilding trade.  Simmons and Mack are vets.  And look what Donovan Mitchell did this year...he didn't just play for Utah he led Utah.  Chances of that happening again are slim to none at pick 15...but my point is to say let's not go to extremes.

Irving, Smart, Mack
Brown, Smart, Simmons, pick 15/27
Hayward, Brown, Tatum, Simmons, Ojeleye
Tatum, Horford,Hayward, Theis, Brown, Ojeleye
Horford, Baynes, Theis, cheap back up big, pick 15/27

That doesn't seem like rebuilding....

The problem with this trade imo would be getting Washington on board.  It's nice to get a much younger center but is Vucevic good enough (with Morris and pick 35) to give up 15? 
« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 12:44:02 AM by wiley »

Re: Morris Reunites with Bro Trade, Gets Big Minutes (idea)
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2018, 10:29:03 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 306
Why is this even an idea?

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2018, 10:42:09 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
Gosh I love the trade idea forum....  :)

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2018, 11:09:20 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
Applaud the effort, but Celtics should be able to get more back for Rozier + future first + Yabu than pick #15, Simmons, and Mack.  Based on that, I think Celtics say no.  Rather have Rozier here balling out as a reliable backup for one more season and walk than take this package.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2018, 11:24:17 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
Applaud the effort, but Celtics should be able to get more back for Rozier + future first + Yabu than pick #15, Simmons, and Mack.  Based on that, I think Celtics say no.  Rather have Rozier here balling out as a reliable backup for one more season and walk than take this package.

Thank you and TP for this polite and clear response as to why it's a no go!  Very refreshing! 

I gave up the #1 next year (I call it pick 30...Warriors will be coasting), as about equal in value to this year's 41...so I called it a wash on those two picks. 

But I doubt I could pull the trigger on this as I'm such a big Rozier fan.  It is worth keeping him as insurance for Kyrie's health and, if the right deal came along, his departure...

So this is more in the spirit of IF Rozier had to go this year in a deal..then how about this one...
I would also hope for more in return but we know that at draft time each pick's value is magnified beyond what it should be....unless the pick turns into Donovan Mitchell or Giannis..etc..

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2018, 11:37:52 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

I agree with the zero chance.  I'm more interested in killing time by discussing other aspects.  But if others aren't into that I understand.

I'm curious though what your minutes breakdown is for next year.  Specifically how many minutes do you see for Morris?  And is he a guy who will be a glue guy if he's not playing? 

And I don't see giving up Rozier, Morris and Yabusele as a rebuilding trade.  Simmons and Mack are vets.  And look what Donovan Mitchell did this year...he didn't just play for Utah he led Utah.  Chances of that happening again are slim to none at pick 15...but my point is to say let's not go to extremes.

Irving, Smart, Mack
Horford, Baynes, cheap back up big, pick 15/27

The problem with this trade imo would be getting Washington on board.  It's nice to get a much younger center but is Vucevic good enough (with Morris and pick 35) to give up 15?
Its a rebuilding trade because you are trading a playoff proven vet, a just coming into their own PG that has always played well in the playoffs and a future pick for two more picks this year. We don't need unproven playoff players. We don't need more draft picks, over the next two drafts we probably have way too many, and we definitely don't need to load down next years team with 3 rookies.

Unloading players for picks is a rebuilding move. We need to trade in such a way as to add proven, hopefully star, players or trade so far up the draft you are drafting an almost surefire future star.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 11:45:24 PM by nickagneta »

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2018, 11:43:09 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
I was always big on grading for Vucevic and his friendly contract.

If we were getting him, maybe it’s worth debating. But for Simmons, Mack, and 15, it’s not worth Rozier and Morris imo.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2018, 12:10:09 AM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker

Irving, Smart, Mack
Horford, Baynes, cheap back up big, pick 15/27

Its a rebuilding trade because you are trading a playoff proven vet, a just coming into their own PG that has always played well in the playoffs and a future pick for two more picks this year. We don't need unproven playoff players. We don't need more draft picks, over the next two drafts we probably have way too many, and we definitely don't need to load down next years team with 3 rookies.

Unloading players for picks is a rebuilding move. We need to trade in such a way as to add proven, hopefully star, players or trade so far up the draft you are drafting an almost surefire future star.
[/b]

Good points.  I agree Rozier is a stud who has performed in the playoffs.  And he should be worth more if possible and if not he can be happily kept.

Regarding the bolded, I'm sure if Danny had picks 15, 27 and 41, he's be looking to add the Clippers pick or Memphis pick, etc...to move up and try for Doncic or Bamba.  The teams at the top have been rumored to be ok dealing their pick...(which means they don't have a clear idea what they want and who knows are perhaps even afraid to blow it....Danny's not that type of GM.)

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2018, 02:03:12 AM »

Online trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 616
Simmons is nice - but giving up Morris, Rozier, Yabu (who we don't really know much about yet), not to mention Bird who is looking reeeaaally nice, for Simmons is absolutely suicidal.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2018, 07:52:56 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 858
Rozier and Morris are proven productive players on good contracts.  I like them both.  I would not be opposed to trading one or both for a good solid starting big but not for draft picks and prospects.

We are set at 4 of 5 positions.  PG-Kyrie, one of the best in the league.  SG-Brown-Hayward, Brown was scoring 20 pts in the playoffs and Hayward is coming back.  SF-Tatum-Hayward, again, all star level players, two of them.  Big-Horford, he is a top tier big, all star level.

I know many think Tatum will be our other big but I don't like that.  Really we have Theis or Morris right now.  That is why I say I would be open to trading Rozier and/or Morris for a starting level big to play along side Horford.  That would round out our roster nicely.  Short of that, I am very happy with Rozier and Morris.