1 (12.5%)
Yes, if I'm Dallas
4 (50%)
Yes, if I'm Memphis
1 (12.5%)
No, for either team.
2 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Author Topic: Dallas/Memphis Trade Idea  (Read 996 times)

Dallas/Memphis Trade Idea
« on: June 19, 2018, 10:14:00 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
Memphis trades #4 and Chandler Parsons to Dallas for the Harrison Barnes.

Memphis does this to get an impact wing that can contribute right now. No one they can draft is going to match up with the Gasol/Conley timeline. This move gets them out from under the worst contract in the NBA and gives them the wing they needed last season to make a run at it until Gasol totally craps out. This also helps take care of Memphis' commitment to Boston.

Dallas does it because they stink. They need young assets and Harrison Barnes isn't a franchise cornerstone. The future of Dallas is Dennis Smith Jr. and #4 and #5. Hopefully Doncic falls to #4 but even if he doesn't Dallas can get 2 great prospects and still look forward to a high pick next season as this core develops.

Parsons is kind of a stumbling block because he has history with Dallas but you're not trading for him to play, anyway. If he's a locker room nuisance just send him home a la Keith Bogans. And his contract doesn't matter because Dallas is going to be bad the next 2 seasons anyway.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

Re: Dallas/Memphis Trade Idea
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2018, 10:31:18 AM »

Online johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
This trade does not make much sense for Memphis. Both Barnes and Parsons have virtually the same contracts and are both overpaid based on their production. Barnes does have a player option after next season, but I would assume he would opt in, since there is no way another team would give him that same amount per year (around $25 million). Barnes is better than Parsons, but not anywhere near needing to add the #4 pick to make the trade work. Maybe a late first or early second round pick. To me, Dallas would make that trade in a second, while Memphis would hang up the phone.

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2018, 10:41:28 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
This trade does not make much sense for Memphis. Both Barnes and Parsons have virtually the same contracts and are both overpaid based on their production. Barnes does have a player option after next season, but I would assume he would opt in, since there is no way another team would give him that same amount per year (around $25 million). Barnes is better than Parsons, but not anywhere near needing to add the #4 pick to make the trade work. Maybe a late first or early second round pick. To me, Dallas would make that trade in a second, while Memphis would hang up the phone.

Yup.

My thoughts exactly.

Barnes isn't that good enough to justify a top 10 pick, let alone even a top 4.

What is Memphis in a rush to hurry up and trade their pick anyways? Gasol/Conley aren't going to do diddly squat in the playoffs.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2018, 11:58:19 AM »

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • The voice of reason
If I were Memphis I'd gut the team and build around #4 and whatever I get for my assets. Fire sale. Expiring contracts + picks. They're going absolutely nowhere with this team. I've seen mocks where Doncic falls to 4.