Author Topic: Stephen Miller  (Read 4909 times)

Re: Stephen Miller
« Reply #180 on: June 22, 2018, 08:57:59 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2344
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #181 on: June 22, 2018, 09:08:50 AM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1342
Melania might be beautiful, but she is quite stupid. Her taste in fashion and husband prove that.
There's no way this isn't intentional, by the way. As someone pointed out, this is a $40 Zara jacket. I doubt this type of clothes are usually part of her wardrobe.

It's intentional.  What we don't know is what the intent was. 

It's obviously not a shot at the children.  She's not saying she doesn't care about them, because quite obviously she does.  I mean, she made a rare public comment indicating she didn't like the policy of child separation.  How many first ladies have ever publicly contradicted a policy of her husband, even in part?

My guess is that he statement was meant to be ironic / sarcastic toward her critics.  She gets criticized constantly despite keeping a low profile, and this jacket is probably a swipe at that and the assumptions that people make about her.

As for her taste in men, it's a situation as old as time:  some people sacrifice love for security.

I agree - it was a statement that is open to interpretation.

Inerpretation #1: Sarcasm.  She really does care (as evidenced by her being there) and she's reacting perhaps to those who have presumed she doesn't.

Interptretation #2: She is lashing out passive-aggressively at her husband -- the jacket as the symbolic mouthpiece of POTUS -- essentially mocking his lack of compassion.

Interpreation #3: SHE is saying "let them eat cake" and stating that the only reason she is visiting the facility is basically for a photo op.

Regardless, since there is no doubt that she is making a "statement" (and not a fashion one), my preference would be that she not play games.  Just say what you think for crying out loud.

« Reply #182 on: June 22, 2018, 10:12:00 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1997
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
https://www.mediamatters.org/video/2018/06/22/fox-friends-host-these-arent-our-kids-its-not-trump-doing-people-idaho-or-texas/220515

Everyone relax! Itís not like itís YOUR kids.

I can't believe the guy who once said Americans aren't as "pure" as Swedes because we "breed with other ethnics" would say such a thing.  :o

After days of demanding Congress change immigration laws, and just one day after telling House Republicans to vote for the "compromise" (between R camps) bill, Trump went online to blow up any chance at a bill by demanding they wait til after the midterms. Looks like someone wants to keep the race bait popping through election day.

« Reply #183 on: June 22, 2018, 11:25:21 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2344
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
https://www.mediamatters.org/video/2018/06/22/fox-friends-host-these-arent-our-kids-its-not-trump-doing-people-idaho-or-texas/220515

I can't believe the guy who once said Americans aren't as "pure" as Swedes because we "breed with other ethnics" would say such a thing.  :o

After days of demanding Congress change immigration laws, and just one day after telling House Republicans to vote for the "compromise" (between R camps) bill, Trump went online to blow up any chance at a bill by demanding they wait til after the midterms. Looks like someone wants to keep the race bait popping through election day.

You literally can't be sure of anything with Trump. Sure he's bad for America, but he just makes those libs so angry! Gotta love it. #ShootMe

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #184 on: June 22, 2018, 12:08:50 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 725
Posted twice to this thread, and it disappeared each time. Can't recover it now. No PMs or anything to indicate it was intentionally removed. Not in my posted message history either.
I've found out that  your posts can absolutely get removed without notice of any kind.

And your thread titles edited to reflect the preferred characterizations of people with the power to do so.

If anyone's interested here's the executive order changing the policy that doesn't exist but is also totally Obama's terrible policy and also a good policy that Trump made and also something only Congress could change:

https://www.whitehouse.gov/presidential-actions/affording-congress-opportunity-address-family-separation/

It was 404'ed for awhile because our wise leadership can't spell "separation".

So we'll now be detaining adults and kids together, at least in theory. This:

Quote from: Dean Emeritus of Trump University
It is also the policy of this Administration to maintain family unity, including by detaining alien families together where appropriate and consistent with law and available resources

seems like it has loopholes you could drive a truck through. Also seems to define families in a way where illegal aliens with citizen children aren't covered. And of course managed to squeeze a good bit of lying and fingerpointing but what's new?

Hopeful we can manage to get the taken kids back to their families ASAP, but getting ready for the inevitable "oops we might've lost some kids" stories in a couple weeks.

Well, no idea what in my post warranted removal, didn't seem that out of line to anything else around here.

To recap:
1. It is disingenuous to say that a person is politically pro-human rights just so that the would be sufferers of human rights abuses vote for them. Of course victims of human rights abuses are not going to vote for the ones who would like to continue human rights abuses.

2. To hide behind the veil of 'protecting the white working class' is dishonest. It's protecting the white class; if someone was really interested in protecting the working class they wouldn't try to promote the wealth gap, promote corporate power, promote corporate tax cuts, gut medicaid, gut medicare, gut social security, gut family planning, torpedo healthcare, gut unions, etc, at every possible turn. You know, all the things that help the (white, brown, male, female) working class.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/business/wp/2018/06/19/house-gop-plan-would-cut-medicare-social-security-to-balance-budget/?utm_term=.b0f0b858d374

Welp, there it is; congressional republicans looking to cut 1.5 Trillion from the popular medicare/medicaid programs that genuinely benefit the working class, to help offset the 1+Trillion tax shift to the already rich they passed already. But the problem for US workers is immigrants taking their jobs!!!

« Reply #185 on: June 22, 2018, 12:30:43 PM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 418
Not a single child should ever be separated from their parents at the border. As in divorces the children shouldnít have to pay for the actions of their parents.

The entire family should be sent back - together, and a bill for the cost of doing so should be sent to the Mexican Government. Payment terms? Due upon receipt.

All these people are at the border because the government of Mexico is grossly failing itís people. 100% not our responsibility. Thinking so would be like having a major problem with an immediate family member and then making that issue the responsibility of all your neighbors. No. Fix your own problems and clean up your own back yard. All of the worldís problems should not magically become ours to solve.

For the record, I would most likely be at the border with my family if I were from Mexico - I would try to get here. I get why theyíre trying to get here, thatís a no brainer choice.

That said and for the record, in todayís world, the border should be hermetically sealed and the only immigration occurring should be incredibly controlled.

The fact that it isnít is testament to the incomprehensible incompetance and gross negligence of our political class. They should all be fired immediately and replaced with adults who actually give a crap about this country more than their re-election self interests.

« Reply #186 on: June 22, 2018, 12:40:16 PM »

Offline liam

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 728

You literally can't be sure of anything with Trump. Sure he's bad for America, but he just makes those libs so angry! Gotta love it. #ShootMe

I always say " What's bad for America is bad for America" but as long as you get a chuckle out of it....

« Reply #187 on: June 22, 2018, 01:38:31 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

I can't believe the guy who once said that still has a job in media, but that's Fox News for you.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2018, 02:51:02 PM by kozlodoev »
(Formerly) managing Rilski Sportist to glory at http://www.buzzerbeater.com

« Reply #188 on: June 22, 2018, 02:48:59 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404
Immigration is basically a net negative right now, more people were going back to Latin America anyways than are coming in.  There isn't even any conclusive proof that illegal immigration is bad.  This is just an issue to appeal to a certain kind of voter.  We should have more open borders if anything.

« Reply #189 on: June 22, 2018, 02:51:45 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
Immigration is basically a net negative right now, more people were going back to Latin America anyways than are coming in.  There isn't even any conclusive proof that illegal immigration is bad.  This is just an issue to appeal to a certain kind of voter.  We should have more open borders if anything.
I'm hard pressed to think of a normal person to whom this can appeal. Here's where we are right now:

One legal aid organization, the Texas Civil Rights Project, is representing more than 300 parents and has been able to track down only two children.

ďEither the government wasnít thinking at all about how they were going to put these families back together, or they decided they just didnít care,Ē said Natalia Cornelio, with the organization.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/the_americas/the-chaotic-effort-to-reunite-immigrant-parents-with-their-separated-kids/2018/06/21/325cceb2-7563-11e8-bda1-18e53a448a14_story.html?utm_term=.e2d5ad493e63

« Reply #190 on: June 22, 2018, 04:23:13 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404

I'm hard pressed to think of a normal person to whom this can appeal. Here's where we are right now:

Here is how Fox News is covering Stephen Miller in the news the last week:

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2018/06/18/rosie-odonnell-compares-trump-adviser-stephen-miller-to-baby-hitler.html

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2018/06/20/peter-fonda-tweets-wants-to-rip-barron-trump-from-his-mother-and-put-him-in-cage-with-pedophiles.html

Here are Fox News' stellar ratings: https://www.adweek.com/tvnewser/weekly-cable-ranker-fnc-remains-no-1-in-prime-time-viewers-posts-year-over-year-growth-cnn-edges-msnbc-in-prime-time-demo/367648

Now go read the comment sections in those articles to see how about 40% of our country thinks.  A big swath of our country is being brain washed by rich people so that they can put through legislation that will make them richer.  They are taking those riches from the poor and middle class.  Immigration is an easy way to pit people against other people, so they play that up to get their base worked up.  Simple as that.

« Reply #191 on: June 22, 2018, 05:26:49 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 528

Here is how Fox News is covering Stephen Miller in the news the last week:

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2018/06/18/rosie-odonnell-compares-trump-adviser-stephen-miller-to-baby-hitler.html

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2018/06/20/peter-fonda-tweets-wants-to-rip-barron-trump-from-his-mother-and-put-him-in-cage-with-pedophiles.html

Here are Fox News' stellar ratings: https://www.adweek.com/tvnewser/weekly-cable-ranker-fnc-remains-no-1-in-prime-time-viewers-posts-year-over-year-growth-cnn-edges-msnbc-in-prime-time-demo/367648

Now go read the comment sections in those articles to see how about 40% of our country thinks.  A big swath of our country is being brain washed by rich people so that they can put through legislation that will make them richer.  They are taking those riches from the poor and middle class.  Immigration is an easy way to pit people against other people, so they play that up to get their base worked up.  Simple as that.

The Confederate plantation owners convinced hundreds of thousands of poor white Southerners to die on their behalf based on similarly insane/selfish reasoning. It's an old playbook:

1. Exploit poor whites and people of color
2. Convince poor whites that they are morally and intellectually superior to people of color
3. Convince poor whites that minorities are also dangerous
5. Use purported danger as a distraction while you further loot the public
4. Demonize the whites who try to expose what you are doing (the Yankees, Commies, Terrorist sympathizers, Libs etc)
5. Blame your political opponents as the underclass spirals further into poverty due to your own political policies
6. Cut education and spend on propaganda to keep awareness down
7. Repeat above steps until the public is numb and dumb
8. Enjoy the wealth and the women as your nation slowly fails

« Reply #192 on: June 22, 2018, 06:19:13 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett

« Reply #193 on: June 22, 2018, 07:50:26 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1342
Aw. How presidential.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-44580964

I don't know much about equivalency or proportionality when it comes to issues related to illegal immigration, but I do know that we should not have to take sides when it comes to morality and compassion.  There should be compassion for the families of victims of criminal who cross the border illegally. There should also be compassion for families seeking asylum or a safer life who have been torn apart by zero tolerance.

There is probably blame on both sides for how this is being politicized, but it seems to me that securing our borders to reduce illegal crossings AND having a compassionate policy for refugees and those seeking political asylum can co-exist. 

Yet, we are once again fed the lie of a false binary choice: you either believe in "open borders" or "zero tolerance".   Isn't anyone going to emerge as a sane and trusted statesman (statesperson) in this mess?   A moderate republican needs to lead, and moderate dems need to pay attention and collaborate. 

« Reply #194 on: June 22, 2018, 08:21:04 PM »

Offline Cman

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 13
One blessing from Trumps Exec order is now we no longer have to listen to pundits saying we have to separate families because ďitís the lawĒ. That was always the most inane part of it. It wasnít Law. It was policy.
Celtics fan for life.