Author Topic: Stephen Miller  (Read 5626 times)

Re: Stephen Miller
« Reply #195 on: June 22, 2018, 08:50:21 PM »

Offline Cman

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 23
Bipartisan Immigration Reform.

Remember when it happened in 2013?
https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/senate-passes-immigration-reform/story?id=19506151

Passed by a bipartisan supermajority in the Senate.
Positive takes from Obama who would have signed it.
It would have addressed DACA.
It would have provided $30B in extra border security funds (more than what Trump is currently asking for).

.... But House Republicans.... Well, we know what happened.

Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #196 on: June 24, 2018, 10:35:45 PM »

Offline liam

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 734

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/senate-passes-immigration-reform/story?id=19506151

It would have provided $30B in extra border security funds (more than what Trump is currently asking for).

How much is it going to cost to jail all these people coming in? Is living in one of our jails better than what these immigrants are facing in the place where they came from? This whole thing is not well thought out. Seems like another big money making system. The tax payers are going to be footing the bill for all this. Who owns the companies that are going to be racking in all the cash on this policy? What a mess.

« Reply #197 on: June 24, 2018, 10:47:35 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 725

How much is it going to cost to jail all these people coming in? Is living in one of our jails better than what these immigrants are facing in the place where they came from? This whole thing is not well thought out. Seems like another big money making system. The tax payers are going to be footing the bill for all this. Who owns the companies that are going to be racking in all the cash on this policy? What a mess.

from @delavegalaw
Guess who each gave $250,000 to Trump's inauguration? CoreCivic & GEO Corp. Both huge beneficiaries of Trump's cruel detentions

« Reply #198 on: June 24, 2018, 10:49:01 PM »

Offline liam

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 734

from @delavegalaw
Guess who each gave $250,000 to Trump's inauguration? CoreCivic & GEO Corp. Both huge beneficiaries of Trump's cruel detentions

TP, Knew it!

« Reply #199 on: July 02, 2018, 09:41:40 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 2036
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Court records show that parents applying for asylum at legal points of entry were still having their children taken from them, despite the administration's claims that it was a "myth".

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-port-of-entry-separations-20180701-story.html

Why are we still pretending this was/is just about illegal border crossing?

« Reply #200 on: July 02, 2018, 10:06:42 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2359
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Court records show that parents applying for asylum at legal points of entry were still having their children taken from them, despite the administration's claims that it was a "myth".

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-port-of-entry-separations-20180701-story.html

Stephen Miller will go down in history as a pretty terrible human being, and the source of a lot of the bad policies from the Trump admin.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #201 on: July 02, 2018, 10:22:17 AM »

Offline Pucaccia

• Gordon Hayward
  • Tommy Points: 57

Simple Solution....If you don't want to be separated from your kids, DON'T COME INTO THE UNITED STATES ILLEGALLY! That's not racist, that's common sense.

« Reply #202 on: July 02, 2018, 10:23:37 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Dennis Johnson

Simple Solution....If you don't want to be separated from your kids, DON'T COME INTO THE UNITED STATES ILLEGALLY! That's not racist, that's common sense.

Do you want to try and read the article, or at least the words in the post, and take another crack at this?  Love that authoritarian spirit though!

« Reply #203 on: July 02, 2018, 10:38:52 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 330

It is not "ILLEGAL" to come to the United States boarder and seek asylum.  This is not an insignificant nuance.  Your obvious misunderstanding of this is the result of all the hostile and untruthful rhetoric that Trump generates.

There is a fair policy question here to decide how we want to administer asylum seekers.  What rules apply, etc.  America cannot accept every asylum seeker that comes to our boarder but it is false to say these people have come here illegally and therefore deserve to have their children taken away and lost in the foster care program forever.

But you cannot have this discussion or ever resolve the fair questions about the asylum program as long the false narrative is put out there.  This is as Trump wants it.  He does not care about the nuts and bolts of governing, only firing up his base.  The facts in this case would not fire them up nearly as much as the false illegal narrative does.  Nor would making some minor administrative changes that might make the program better.

« Reply #204 on: July 02, 2018, 10:47:51 AM »

Offline DivingCowens

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 33
  • Pride, Baby. Pride!

You're right, but need to take this point further, and actually read the law, to see that the strawman argument re: ports of entry, is patently ridiculous.

8 U.S.C. 1158 ("Asylum") states:

(a) Authority to apply for asylum
(1) In general

Any alien who is physically present in the United States or who arrives in the United States (whether or not at a designated port of arrival and including an alien who is brought to the United States after having been interdicted in international or United States waters), irrespective of such alienís status, may apply for asylum in accordance with this section or, where applicable, section 1225(b) of this title.

It is simply a LIE that asylum seekers must do so at a port of entry. It's false. ANY alien, "regardless of status" may apply for asylum if "physically present in the United States."

Everyone's a lawyer now but so few take the time to actually read law or precedent to determine the veracity of statements from the *President and his people, even though the internet and U.S. Code is freely searchable... at least, for now.

Makes me wonder why I bothered to spend three years of my life studying my ass off and putting myself into perpetual debt when I could have just joined Twitter I guess.

Į\_(ツ)_/Į

« Reply #205 on: July 02, 2018, 10:47:51 AM »

Offline heyvik

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 45

Do you want to try and read the article, or at least the words in the post, and take another crack at this?  Love that authoritarian spirit though!

I tried to stay out, but I think what happens is that Trump supporters say things like what's above and when actually PROOF is given they either don't respond and refuse to believe anything anyone other than Fox, InfoWars etc OR they Immediately dismiss it as Fake News which is anything other then Fox News.

« Reply #206 on: July 05, 2018, 02:38:50 PM »

Offline mqtcelticsfan

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 196
https://twitter.com/abogada_laura/status/1014214985218547712?s=21

This is the kind of stuff that gets me. How is this a fair way to treat children?

« Reply #207 on: July 06, 2018, 09:55:52 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Dennis Johnson
It's not quite the "whoops we lost some kids" story I've been bracing for, but the government turns out to no longer know which kids in their custody came alone and which were taken from parents. Records are missing or in some cases destroyed  :o, and it looks as though there was never a coherent plan to reunite families at all. So we're now running thousands of DNA tests at taxpayer expense to try and undo this horrific and utterly stupid policy.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/05/us/migrant-children-chaos-family-separation.html

« Reply #208 on: July 10, 2018, 02:01:59 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Dennis Johnson
Today was a court deadline for reuniting confiscated children under 5 years old with their parents. Of 102 such kids DOJ says there are 75 that qualify for reuniting, and 4 have been reunited. They estimate another 34 will be reunited by the end of the day.

Among the details of the cases that can't be resolved by the deadline is this gem:

So we may have detained and taken kids from US citizens. Whether it's true in this case or not, how these kinds of nearly inevitable consequences were totally disregarded by people who normally believe the government is too incompetent to be trusted remains beyond me.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 02:12:34 PM by fairweatherfan »

« Reply #209 on: July 10, 2018, 02:11:33 PM »

Offline gift

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 142
Today was a court deadline for reuniting confiscated children under 5 years old with their parents. Of 102 such kids DOJ says there are 75 that qualify for reuniting, and 4 have been reunited. They estimate another 34 will be reunited by the end of the day.

Among the details of the cases that can't be resolved by the deadline is this gem:

So we may have detained and taken kids from US citizens. Whether it's true in this case or not, how this kind of nearly inevitable consequence was totally disregarded by people who normally believe the government is too incompetent to be trusted remains beyond me.

Hopefully they start acting like the government is too incompetent to be trusted rather than just believing it.