Author Topic: An attractive package Poppovich might like  (Read 5655 times)

Re: An attractive package Poppovich might like
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2018, 02:53:20 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!

Is this team worth it with no Brown or Smart

Horford
Hayward
Tatum
Kawhi
Irving

With A Rozier, Morris, Baynes bench

Depends, do you mean no Brown AND Smart, or just one?

If we keep one of the two to likely come off the bench, it's worth it. Otherwise, no way.

Also, it's risky to give up Jaylen for a rental as I've said a lot around here. If we did though, then Ainge NEEDS to prioritize bringing back Smart too.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2018, 02:55:16 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
What a terrible trade...

Why in the world would Pop even sniff at that offer?

And why do users here seriously think that the Spurs would give up Kawhi Leonard without either Jaylen Brown, or Kings pick as the starting point or without offering either one?

Like seriously, can we stop being delusional? This isn't NBA 2K18 with trade override.

Because Kawhi is a rental who's pretty much made it known he prefers Clippers/Knicks/Lakers.

So of course folks will hesitate to give up Jaylen Brown or a Kings Pick for a guy who could easily just bolt a year later to the Lakers, and if that happened then who would really look delusional?  :P

Now I'd consider it, but ultimately I'll trust CBS & Ainge's judgement.

Wasn't Kyrie Irving the same case?

Winning changes attitudes. Leonard would also love it here in Boston... He would beloved. He craves attention? Well, every Boston fan is going to stop him in the streets until his head spins and goes numb from the amount of attention and love he's gonna receive. Everyone that has come to Boston has generally 75% of the time enjoyed their stay.

Also Leonard could definitely sell sneakers in BOS, if that is one of his major concerns.

And that is the risk you have to take... This isn't Paul George, DeMarcus Cousins... This is Kawhi freakin' Leonard. A MVP type of player that can literally make any terrible team a playoff team on his defense/2 way versatility alone.

At the end of the day, anything Ainge does, I have 100% faith in him.

I exploded from my seat when Fultz was traded, and was upset when Isaiah was shipped out.

But regardless of whether or not we get Kawhi, our team is still great.

Agree with most of what you say, but it was a little less risky with Kyrie because he had 2 years left on his deal (not 1 at the time). Likewise, I think if Ainge really wanted George, he could have gotten him since at the time, OKC's offer didn't look great, but Ainge didn't want to give up any premium asset(s) for a rental. Might be the same case with Kawhi. That said, I honestly don't know anymore what Kawhi wants, what truly happened between him and the Spurs, etc. lol.

Don't forget the type of package Ainge dealt for Kyrie. An injured IT4, Jae Crowder, Ante Zizic, a BKN 2018 (that turned out to become the #8 pick) pick, and a second-round pick.

Like you, in hindsight I hated that deal and thought we overpaid dearly. But do you think he makes that kind of deal still if Kyrie had just 1 year left on his deal? I don't, or I certainly don't see him giving up the BKN Pick in that deal (maybe just another late 1st or something).
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2018, 03:09:55 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I doubt the Spurs would take such a small return unless they had to. It seems easy to outbid. But maybe one of those picks would do it
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 08:55:18 AM by eja117 »

« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2018, 03:19:33 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
What a terrible trade...

And why do users here seriously think that the Spurs would give up Kawhi Leonard without either Jaylen Brown, or Kings pick as the starting point or without offering either one?

Like seriously, can we stop being delusional? This isn't NBA 2K18 with trade override.

Because Kawhi is a rental who's pretty much made it known he prefers Clippers/Knicks/Lakers.

So of course folks will hesitate to give up Jaylen Brown or a Kings Pick for a guy who could easily just bolt a year later to the Lakers, and if that happened then who would really look delusional?  :P

Wasn't Kyrie Irving the same case?

Winning changes attitudes. Leonard would also love it here in Boston... He would beloved. He craves attention? Well, every Boston fan is going to stop him in the streets until his head spins and goes numb from the amount of attention and love he's gonna receive. Everyone that has come to Boston has generally 75% of the time enjoyed their stay.

Also Leonard could definitely sell sneakers in BOS, if that is one of his major concerns.

And that is the risk you have to take... This isn't Paul George, DeMarcus Cousins... This is Kawhi freakin' Leonard. A MVP type of player that can literally make any terrible team a playoff team on his defense/2 way versatility alone.

At the end of the day, anything Ainge does, I have 100% faith in him.

I exploded from my seat when Fultz was traded, and was upset when Isaiah was shipped out.

But regardless of whether or not we get Kawhi, our team is still great.

Agree with most of what you say, but it was a little less risky with Kyrie because he had 2 years left on his deal (not 1 at the time). Likewise, I think if Ainge really wanted George, he could have gotten him since at the time, OKC's offer didn't look great, but Ainge didn't want to give up any premium asset(s) for a rental. Might be the same case with Kawhi. That said, I honestly don't know anymore what Kawhi wants, what truly happened between him and the Spurs, etc. lol.

From the gist of research and countless articles I've read. It seems like this is what I gathered.

Kawhi Leonard was injured during that Pachuila incident. Went out with a time table of a few months, and was expected to come back by the first month of the regular season. (Supposedly.)

He comes back in  December, gets injured due to a shoulder injury that's unrelated, but then Jan 13th he's out for the season after it was announced 4 days later. After that happened, there was supposedly a 'rift,' between the Spurs.

Asked when he hopes to return, Leonard said, "Soon. I don't have a set date right now. I just have to keep doing what I'm doing. The progression that I am making has been great. I just have to keep doing what I'm doing." #Spurs

Asked if his course of treatment has created friction between him and the #Spurs, Kawhi said, "Everything was done as a group. I don't feel like nothing was friction. I talk to Pop everyday. He knows what the progressions were, he knew what I am doing the whole entire time."

This is really where it gets weird...

A Spurs well known reddit user, (I can't say his name since he got 'banned,' for a while due to leaking information from an NBA agent,) released some information saying that Pop and Parker/Ginobli allegedly accused Leonard of refusing to show up to practice, and causing malcontent in the organization.

Later on, it was reported that they had a players meeting to try to convince Kawhi to come back.
 He didn't think he was healthy regardless of whether or not the doctors cleared him medically, and asked for a second opinion, to which Pop was urging him to make it his number one 'priority,' to come back. The reddit user then theorized that since Pop was going to retire soon, he wanted to have the streak of 50 win seasons not broken, and hypothesized that is one of the key reasons why Pop wanted to have an everlasting legacy before he retired officially.

Parker then comes out with:
Tony Parker on his return from the career-threatening quad injury he suffered last May: I’ve been through it. It was a rehab for me for eight months. Same kind of injury (as Kawhi), but mine was a hundred times worse. But the same kind of injury. You just stay positive."

Tony also said he never considered getting a second-opinion after he tore his quad: "I could have gone anywhere, but I trust my Spurs doctors. They have been with me my whole career. They know my body better than anybody…I feel like we have the best medical team in the world."

That is when Leonard leaves the team to go to New York to get a second opinion.

My thoughts?

You are in ABSOLUTE control of your destiny. You SHOULD BE able to choose who should cater to your injury, and you are never contingently forced into listening to your teams doctor. Of course, they will try to have the best rehabilitation treatment, but can you guarantee that they'll have your best interests at heart? Yes, I'm blown about how Leonard responded to everything. He mishandled it. It could've also been a guise that was thrown out by his agents, who are telling him what to do.

But it seems like the Spurs tried to force him to come back. To which he did, and then injured his quad, (I don't believe the shoulder injury story at all,) once again, and because he believed he wasn't 100% healthy; is now upset at how everything was handled.

Now, if Ainge can get the medical history and see that Kawhi is indeed healthy, and passes all tests.

It would be foolish to pass on him, unless there is a clear answer that Kawhi will not resign.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2018, 03:22:55 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I do that trade..

Ainge would not nor would the Spurs.

Also, giving up on Theis would leave us with little backup bigs.   I think if anything is likely we are more likely to sign someone who can give Al rest minutes than not.

« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2018, 03:41:22 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
I simply don't understand what Kawhi really wants though.

[Adrian Wojnarowski] Kawhi does not want the pressures of being the main star and getting the attention that main stars get

https://youtu.be/iV2tZM1_XoU

He doesn't want to be the main focal point of attention, but then he wants to be in a big market.

Also his uncle shouldn't be his agent... You can't trust some family members, because at some point they get too emotionally invested, and don't think rationally.

He's also been feeding into the SA is poison vendetta for a while now.

But it makes sense. Isaiah Thomas was advised by our medical team not to get surgery for his labrum tear, and they all eventually got replaced. The teams interest generally does not coincide with yours.

« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2018, 03:49:09 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
[Adrian Wojnarowski] Kawhi does not want the pressures of being the main star and getting the attention that main stars get

His best years were like that with Timmy Duncan!

« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2018, 04:02:08 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji

So he wants the fame, fortune, and status that comes with being "the man", albeit with none of the responsibility ::). Interesting...

« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2018, 05:15:38 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
Spurs wont deal with the Lakers for anyone
I'm sure the SAS would rather just take Ingram.

Popovich is likely heading into his last season. He's not making the call on this trade.
Spurs won't trade kawhi to lakers, you can take it to the bank

TPs to you guys.

Buford and Pop will NEVER trade Kawhi to the Fakers......NEVER!!!!!!!

« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2018, 05:50:46 PM »

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • The voice of reason
Salaries don’t match. Sign and trades only count for half of the sign value to prevent teams from exploiting this by over signing a player to get a deal done.

Of course this doesn’t even include the fact that you’re trading a top 5 player for scraps.

Throw in Rozier plus filler, remove them giving us a pick, and give them basically any picks they want and you have the bare minimum to get a deal done.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2018, 05:56:11 PM by Erik »

« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2018, 05:51:59 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
Spurs wont deal with the Lakers for anyone
I'm sure the SAS would rather just take Ingram.

Popovich is likely heading into his last season. He's not making the call on this trade.
Spurs won't trade kawhi to lakers, you can take it to the bank

TPs to you guys.

Buford and Pop will NEVER trade Kawhi to the Fakers......NEVER!!!!!!!

Yeah I think history has shown that generally teams don't trade within conferences, not to mention Pop absolutely haters the Fakers.

I hope they absolutely strike out unluckily. I hate the fact they are linked to every great player despite being nothing but a trash team.

« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2018, 10:46:38 AM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
If I'm the Spurs, I'd rather lose Kawhi for nothing in FA than get fleeced by Danny in such humiliating fashion.

« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2018, 11:19:24 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
What a terrible trade...

This is quite frankly irrelevant. It doesn't matter if people are hesitant for this or that reason. His value doesn't drop below a certain point. If people aren't willing to meet at least the minimum that price then just accept there is no trade, stop making ridiculous trade threads.

Maybe if Pop had been sitting on the beach for a week drinking himself into a drunken stupor. Otherwise, no sane person makes that deal.

The above post is correct. It is going to cost Jaylen Brown - I have no interest in trading Tatum for anyone - and probably key picks, and if you don't want to give that up, fine. We're not getting Leonard. These ridiculous trade proposals have no legitimacy whatsoever.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2018, 11:44:18 AM »

Offline Bucketgetter

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 11

So he wants the fame, fortune, and status that comes with being "the man", albeit with none of the responsibility ::). Interesting...
Not at all actually. He already has the responsibility and status, and he's leaving a boatload of money on the table by rejecting the supermax. The only one you got right out of the 4 is the "fame" part in terms of being in a bigger market and building his brand or whatever.
CB Mock Deadline - Minnesota Timberwolves
Kemba Walker / Tyus Jones / Aaron Brooks
Jimmy Butler / Jamal Crawford / Treveon Graham
Rodney Hood / Nic Batum / Marcus Georges Hunt
Taj Gibson / Nemanja Bjelica / Jonas Jerebko
KAT / Derrick Favors / Cole Aldrich
Picks - 2018 CHA 1st (Lotto protected), none out

« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2018, 12:26:49 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji

Not at all actually. He already has the responsibility and status, and he's leaving a boatload of money on the table by rejecting the supermax. The only one you got right out of the 4 is the "fame" part in terms of being in a bigger market and building his brand or whatever.

I'm just going off of the quote, man :-\.