Author Topic: An attractive package Poppovich might like  (Read 5700 times)

An attractive package Poppovich might like
« on: June 17, 2018, 12:40:32 PM »

Offline Fireworks_Boom!

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57
Deal Breakdown:

Celtics receive Kawhi Leonard + Pick 18

Spurs receive Marcus Smart (resigned @ $14m per) + Marcus Morris + Daniel Theis + Pick 27 + Future 1st (LAC/MEM/SAC)

Summary:

Celtics get Leonard/Move up 9 picks in 2018 draft (Target: Mitchell Robinson)

Spurs get Smart/Morris/Theis/Move down 9 picks in 2018 draft/Future potential lottery pick

Pops gets a solid cost-controlled Euro player + a defensive ball-handler or off-ball starter quality player in Smart to pair with Murray + a 6th man solid defensive rotation player in Marcus Morris. That is a very good return for Leonard.

From Celtics standpoint, while difficult to lose the bargain of Theis, it preserves our team in terms of losing Jaylen Brown (Tatum has obviously reached no trade status and IMO JB has too).

End Result (both teams):

Celtics
Irving
Leonard
Hayward
Tatum
Horford

Bench: Brown, Rozier, Ojeleye, Yabusele, Nader, Baynes (resigned), Larkin (resigned), Bird (resigned), Mitchell Robinson (Pick 18)

Spurs
Murray
Smart
Gay
Aldridge
Gasol

Bench: Morris, Theis, Ginobili, Mills, etc.

Re: An attractive package Poppovich might like
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2018, 12:42:31 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307
I'm sure the SAS would rather just take Ingram.

Popovich is likely heading into his last season. He's not making the call on this trade.

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2018, 12:54:44 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Theis will be expiring, and Smart + Murray might be the worst shooting backcourt in the NBA. Spurs agreeing to move down 9 spots in 2018 draft doesn't make sense.

One of SAC or MEM isn't really enough, Spurs can do better IMO

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2018, 12:56:13 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 413
I do that trade..
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2018, 01:18:33 PM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88
I'm sure the SAS would rather just take Ingram.

Popovich is likely heading into his last season. He's not making the call on this trade.
Spurs won't trade kawhi to lakers, you can take it to the bank

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2018, 01:49:41 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
What a terrible trade...

Why in the world would Pop even sniff at that offer?

And why do users here seriously think that the Spurs would give up Kawhi Leonard without either Jaylen Brown, or Kings pick as the starting point or without offering either one?

Like seriously, can we stop being delusional? This isn't NBA 2K18 with trade override.

Pop is going to retire soon.

He's going to want 3 things for the franchise.

1) Great prospects with high potential/ceiling. Either Rozier, or Brown fits that criteria.

2) Buford and Ainge have a great relationship. Rarely does Ainge ever lowball his good friends/close acquaintances. Look at what McHale received for KG. Clearly KG is still the best player, but he got players that were considered heavily regarded.

3) Picks/assets. The Spurs are most likely going to have to entirely re-build. I see Gasol/LMA being sent out in a year or two. I think if Leonard is gone, Parker might stay. So they'll try one more futile playoff push to send them on their way, and then let them retire.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2018, 01:53:02 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!
What a terrible trade...

And why do users here seriously think that the Spurs would give up Kawhi Leonard without either Jaylen Brown, or Kings pick as the starting point or without offering either one?

Like seriously, can we stop being delusional? This isn't NBA 2K18 with trade override.

Because Kawhi is a rental who's pretty much made it known he prefers Clippers/Knicks/Lakers.

So of course folks will hesitate to give up Jaylen Brown or a Kings Pick for a guy who could easily just bolt a year later to the Lakers, and if that happened then who would really look delusional?  :P

Now I'd consider it, but ultimately I'll trust CBS & Ainge's judgement.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2018, 02:01:51 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
What a terrible trade...

Because Kawhi is a rental who's pretty much made it known he prefers Clippers/Knicks/Lakers.

So of course folks will hesitate to give up Jaylen Brown or a Kings Pick for a guy who could easily just bolt a year later to the Lakers, and if that happened then who would really look delusional?  :P

Wasn't Kyrie Irving the same case?

Winning changes attitudes. Leonard would also love it here in Boston... He would beloved. He craves attention? Well, every Boston fan is going to stop him in the streets until his head spins and goes numb from the amount of attention and love he's gonna receive. Everyone that has come to Boston has generally 75% of the time enjoyed their stay.

Also Leonard could definitely sell sneakers in BOS, if that is one of his major concerns.

And that is the risk you have to take... This isn't Paul George, DeMarcus Cousins... This is Kawhi freakin' Leonard. A MVP type of player that can literally make any terrible team a playoff team on his defense/2 way versatility alone.

At the end of the day, anything Ainge does, I have 100% faith in him.

I exploded from my seat when Fultz was traded, and was upset when Isaiah was shipped out.

But regardless of whether or not we get Kawhi, our team is still great.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2018, 02:19:38 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!
What a terrible trade...

Winning changes attitudes. Leonard would also love it here in Boston... He would beloved. He craves attention? Well, every Boston fan is going to stop him in the streets until his head spins and goes numb from the amount of attention and love he's gonna receive. Everyone that has come to Boston has generally 75% of the time enjoyed their stay.

Also Leonard could definitely sell sneakers in BOS, if that is one of his major concerns.

And that is the risk you have to take... This isn't Paul George, DeMarcus Cousins... This is Kawhi freakin' Leonard. A MVP type of player that can literally make any terrible team a playoff team on his defense/2 way versatility alone.

I exploded from my seat when Fultz was traded, and was upset when Isaiah was shipped out.

Agree with most of what you say, but it was a little less risky with Kyrie because he had 2 years left on his deal (not 1 at the time). Likewise, I think if Ainge really wanted George, he could have gotten him since at the time, OKC's offer didn't look great, but Ainge didn't want to give up any premium asset(s) for a rental. Might be the same case with Kawhi. That said, I honestly don't know anymore what Kawhi wants, what truly happened between him and the Spurs, etc. lol.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2018, 02:36:40 PM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
What a terrible trade...

This is quite frankly irrelevant. It doesn't matter if people are hesitant for this or that reason. His value doesn't drop below a certain point. If people aren't willing to meet at least the minimum that price then just accept there is no trade, stop making ridiculous trade threads.

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2018, 02:43:11 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

If we trade for him Brown is gone. So instead of Morris in your trade replace him with Brown and it's a done deal. Don't wanna give up on Brown yet, but to win the title you have to consider it.

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2018, 02:44:33 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 413
Spurs wont deal with the Lakers for anyone
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2018, 02:49:03 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
More I think about it, can’t include Brown, unless Leonard agrees to at least a one year extension which won’t happen. Your proposal at least has to include Rozier and nix getting their draft pick so if nothing else will force Lakers to give a reasonable offer.

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2018, 02:49:51 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

Is this team worth it with no Brown or Smart

Horford
Hayward
Tatum
Kawhi
Irving

With A Rozier, Morris, Baynes bench

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2018, 02:53:10 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 996
What a terrible trade...

Agree with most of what you say, but it was a little less risky with Kyrie because he had 2 years left on his deal (not 1 at the time). Likewise, I think if Ainge really wanted George, he could have gotten him since at the time, OKC's offer didn't look great, but Ainge didn't want to give up any premium asset(s) for a rental. Might be the same case with Kawhi. That said, I honestly don't know anymore what Kawhi wants, what truly happened between him and the Spurs, etc. lol.

Don't forget the type of package Ainge dealt for Kyrie. An injured IT4, Jae Crowder, Ante Zizic, a BKN 2018 (that turned out to become the #8 pick) pick, and a second-round pick.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)