Poll

Are you becoming more liberal over time or more conservative? Or more moderate?

Liberal
5 (19.2%)
Moderate
7 (26.9%)
Conservative
7 (26.9%)
All three at the same time.
4 (15.4%)
Some other combination
3 (11.5%)

Total Members Voted: 26

Author Topic: Are you becoming more liberal over time or more conservative? Or more moderate?  (Read 580 times)

Offline eja117

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1235
I suppose I'm becoming all three at the same time. Perhaps it appears one way or the other due to such polar extremes in society these days.  I guess I'm just a tad sad today due to various issues.

Offline slamtheking

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 8860
more liberal on social issues.  age and experience has exposed me to more people and more viewpoints than when I was younger and thought I knew a lot about what's going on.  I've come to realize there's more views on issues than just my own (which was fairly conservative growing up)

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 810
Historically people grow more conservative as the get older
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1342
As odd as it sounds (I think) to be growing more moderate, I think thatís where I am.  I am not a fan of either of the two major political parties,and not a fan of libertarianism either.  I think sometimes more government is needed and sometimes less is needed. I think sometimes itís a good idea to let things play out in the ďmarketplaceĒ and sometimes the marketplace needs to be regulated based on values and common good.  I believe the economic pendulum shifts left and right over time and that striking the right balance depending on circumstances, rather than political or economic ideology, should drive decision-making most of the time.

Offline eja117

• Dennis Johnson
Not the Supreme Court, for whatever that's worth. They tend to get more liberal

Offline eja117

• Dennis Johnson
As odd as it sounds (I think) to be growing more moderate, I think thatís where I am.  I am not a fan of either of the two major political parties,and not a fan of libertarianism either.  I think sometimes more government is needed and sometimes less is needed. I think sometimes itís a good idea to let things play out in the ďmarketplaceĒ and sometimes the marketplace needs to be regulated based on values and common good.  I believe the economic pendulum shifts left and right over time and that striking the right balance depending on circumstances, rather than political or economic ideology, should drive decision-making most of the time.
I am eja and I approve this message

Offline jambr380

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 877

Yeah, people tend to make more money as they get older and like to think they are now in a class that all of those 'other' people aren't. While I generally agree that people should be able to take care of themselves, and get frustrated when I see people gaming the system; as the richest country in the world, I do believe that we do need a system in place. Both parties totally waste tax dollars - I think I just agree a little more with how the Democrats do it.

Also, technology and changing trends can frustrate older people. It is so easy to stay in the know when you are younger and even easier to get stuck in your ways as you age.

Personally, I came from a fairly conservative, but not religious, family. I am 38 now, gay, punk, and have had quite a bit of luck in [my own] business since joining CB back in '04. I think I more hate people who put on an air of superiority than those who can't get out of their own way. Everybody who has made it has had something given to them to some extent.

Offline Emmette Bryant

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 173
I'm a wishy washy centrist. I'm probably more uncomfortable with reactionary right wing rhetoric than from the far left.

edit: I would guess I'm one of the older members of this forum. I have probably drifted a little to the left as I've gotten older.

Offline Celtics4ever

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1038
I think the antics of the left and the right and their zombie followers who blindly live in echo chambers are making me want to participate less and less in politics.   I try to vote for a good man or good woman, that was not an option last election.

I have to confess, though, the amount of rear end hurt that folks had when Pres Obama did this or Pres. Trump did that is very amusing to me.  It's Snowflake Nation most of the time as I see it.  Whoever is not in power whines about who is and demonizes the other side.  Sad, amusing and all too predictable...

I was pretty moderate, I believe in voting for whom ever is best.   I can be liberal on social issues and conservative on military and financial issues, which I know does not make most sense.   But I think if I am truly honest, I am becoming more conservative slightly.  I am tired of being demonized because I am white male whose ancestors fought for the Union Army.  It's not Pres. Trump or the GOP that sway me but rather I am not an anathema to them.  Some of the liberal postions on antifa and blatant almost open move to communism is something that I do not embrace.   I like the moderates of both parties but they are a dying breed.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2018, 09:20:09 PM by Celtics4ever »

Offline eja117

• Dennis Johnson
Ironically I think I've gotten more conservative on social issues and more liberal on fiscal issues in terms of public goods and the need for some regulation.

Online BringToughnessBack

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 323

Perfectly stated...I agreeó-We are One good indie candidate away from a major shift in leadership as well.

Offline hwangjini_1

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1617
  • bammokja
You betray a narrow political bias with your question. The US has one of the smallest political spectrums of all industrialized nations. There are far, far more choices than those held forth by the US.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy ó not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

Offline smokeablount

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 100
  • When my account was born, Mark Blount was our C :(
You betray a narrow political bias with your question. The US has one of the smallest political spectrums of all industrialized nations. There are far, far more choices than those held forth by the US.

Let me know next time you post about the Celtics, so I can condescendingly tell you that your opinion betrays a narrow knowledge of basketball because there are other teams in the NBA and other leagues in the world.
Give us this pick, Almighty Red
And forgive us our tanking
As we forgive those who tanked against us
And lead us not into the lottery
But deliver us from losing

-Sexyscottish

Online mqtcelticsfan

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 191
I think Iím every bit as liberal as Iíve always been, but Iíve grown more interested in connecting with other people as Iíve aged, particularly in the Trump Era. The me of 8 years ago would have written all Trump supporters off as a basket of deplorables, but Iíve grown up. Now I want to understand the other side and think critically about my own views and the views of people I support.

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 178
If you are young and not liberal - then you have no heart.

If you are old and not conservative - then you have no mind.

However, If you are older still and not moderate - then you have no soul.*

* Last line to this old saying credited to none other than this proud member of Celtics Blog.                             
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett