Author Topic: Source: Celtics believe Kyrie remains happy in Boston, wants to stay long term  (Read 5745 times)

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
The Boston Celtics believe Kyrie Irving is happy being with their franchise, according to a league source.

The source also contends that Irving wants to be with the franchise long-term though they did acknowledges there are no certainties.

Irving revealed that he won't sign an extension with the Celtics before becoming a free agent in 2019 as it is financially advantageous for him to wait.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/celtics/2018/06/15/yes-celtics-would-interested-kawhi-leonard-hits-market/WQ5TfNyaTjbfD8nk7vmEBP/story.html

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
Listening to the Bill Simmons pod cast it seems that way. He really talked up "his" teammates and Stevens. And how he said that he wants to get some pick up games going this summer. Then there was one interview were they tried to get him to commit, but he didn't, and the follow up question was "do you like playing in Boston?". With a big grin he said yes. And he didn't even hesitate.

Listing to him the last couple days I believe he likes it here. It's either that, he's a liar and a [dang] good actor, and should get an oscar for Uncle Drew. :P

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 722
Well Kyrie, if you like it here so much, then start acting like it.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
How has he not been acting like it.

He is literally saying that he likes it, and displaying all signs of that being the case
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge

He is literally saying that he likes it, and displaying all signs of that being the case
I think what he means is he wants a public verbal commitment from kyrie saying he wants to be here long term

I dont see anything wrong with that

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

I think what he means is he wants a public verbal commitment from kyrie saying he wants to be here long term

Considering the things he says about Kyrie I’m fairly confident that wouldn’t satisfy him, lol
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge

Considering the things he says about Kyrie I’m fairly confident that wouldn’t satisfy him, lol
Lol

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
I mean if you're an impending free agent, take advantage of your time lol. No need to commit now. Commit and sign an extension at the end of next season.

If you're traded by Trader Danny, then you're traded by Trader Danny. NBA is a business at the end of the day!

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

Why should he commit long-term, especially right now?  I like Kyrie and hope he stay long-term, but I wouldn't expect him to say something he may regret.  Where is the same commitment from the Celtics FO?

Offline bellerephon

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 52
We all understand that Kyrie shouldn’t sign an extension now. I think people would like to hear him state clearly that he wants to stay in Boston and hopes to get a deal done when the time is right. He can say that it’s a business and nothing is for sure but that is his hope. Of course Kyrie does things his own way and I read nothing into the fact that he has not said this. The earlier report about him maybe not resigning was largely baseless speculation rising from things he supposedly said to teammates before he left the Cavs. I think the Celtics have a normal amount of concern that any team with a high profile free agent would have. Likewise Kyrie should be a bit concerned about what trader Dan might do.

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
The narrative either way would have been negative. If he signed a team-friendly deal now, people would have questioned whether he signed because of health concerns. If he waits, people question his loyalty to the Cs.

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
Listening to the Bill Simmons pod cast it seems that way. He really talked up "his" teammates and Stevens. And how he said that he wants to get some pick up games going this summer. Then there was one interview were they tried to get him to commit, but he didn't, and the follow up question was "do you like playing in Boston?". With a big grin he said yes. And he didn't even hesitate.

Listing to him the last couple days I believe he likes it here. It's either that, he's a liar and a [dang] good actor, and should get an oscar for Uncle Drew. :P

Seems like a win-win for Boston, either he resigns here for the max at the end of his contract or he gets injured playing on an already suspect knee and they either don't resign him or are able to get him at a sizable discount due to injury.  Either way he's playing this season for a big contract and has every incentive to go all out on the court.

Offline celticinorlando

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 637
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Kyrie might have already worked things out with management about signing a new deal with Boston.

We have no idea what is going on behind the scenes.

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417

What exactly is he suppose to do to convince you he likes it here?

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804

What exactly is he suppose to do to convince you he likes it here?

Go to JT's level of getting a Lucky tattoo or nothing!

Lol I can't! 🤣

It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)