Author Topic: Report: Baynes expected to re-sign  (Read 9010 times)

Re: Report: Baynes expected to re-sign
« Reply #75 on: July 01, 2018, 07:30:27 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Phoenix just paid Ariza, Dallas is going to pay Jordan. Don’t know what Indy will do, but is the market for Smart already drying up??

Probably. There wasn't a lot of free cap to go around to start with and people here are over-valuing Smart. Teams have the leverage this off-season.

I can still squeeze Smart into a 4 year $39.4 MM contract and still be under the luxury tax by a sliver after stretching Nader, letting Monroe walk, signing Bird at his QO, and keeping Morris. He should take it if offered rather than the QO and the risk attached thereto.
w

At that number Smart should take the QO.

Smart should take a 4 year 40 million deal if it's offered with his injury history and the way the cash is disappearing...

Cash will be flush next year.  Probably triple the teams will have cap space, if not more, and he won’t be restricted.  Additional teams will have the full MLE, and even that will come out near 4/$40 mil.

Could he take 3-4 years at 10mm per with player option after each year? Seems like he gets security in case of injury, and also leaves his options open. Plus his contract could still be traded, although better if no option until after two years.

« Reply #76 on: July 01, 2018, 07:34:21 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Phoenix just paid Ariza, Dallas is going to pay Jordan. Don’t know what Indy will do, but is the market for Smart already drying up??

Probably. There wasn't a lot of free cap to go around to start with and people here are over-valuing Smart. Teams have the leverage this off-season.

I can still squeeze Smart into a 4 year $39.4 MM contract and still be under the luxury tax by a sliver after stretching Nader, letting Monroe walk, signing Bird at his QO, and keeping Morris. He should take it if offered rather than the QO and the risk attached thereto.
w

At that number Smart should take the QO.

Smart should take a 4 year 40 million deal if it's offered with his injury history and the way the cash is disappearing...

Cash will be flush next year.  Probably triple the teams will have cap space, if not more, and he won’t be restricted.  Additional teams will have the full MLE, and even that will come out near 4/$40 mil.

That's not what I'm seeing. I'm see more money in next year's FA than this year, but I'm also guessing more players will take the route you are suggesting Smart should take, which means there will be more players.

« Reply #77 on: July 01, 2018, 08:50:27 AM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Baynes is BACK!!!  And I love it!  5/11 is a super reasonable deal.  Sure he can opt out next season when the cap goes up.  But the most important part is that he is back for next season.  This gives Wiliams time to develop without pressure of having to step up into a starting role right away.

A big tough defender like Baynes gave us valuable minutes next season and is important to have in that back pocket for the playoffs.

« Reply #78 on: July 01, 2018, 09:07:32 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
We have a good that can go mano-a-mano with the league big guys of the league in Baynes and it is a sensible signing.

« Reply #79 on: July 01, 2018, 09:28:42 AM »

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 150
Great find Danny....never expected either Aron or Marcus Morris to be that good. Kudos to his assistants/scouting crew. I imagine they did their due diligence in convincing Danny to sign them. 
« Last Edit: July 01, 2018, 10:03:15 AM by Alleyoopster »

« Reply #80 on: July 01, 2018, 02:01:46 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 996
Baynes really wanted to be back in Boston, therefore made negotiating very easy for both parties.

Although did the Celtics overpay him? 2-year/$11M deal, thoughts?

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #81 on: July 01, 2018, 02:07:24 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
Baynes really wanted to be back in Boston, therefore made negotiating very easy for both parties.

It was the least they could re-sign him for (and it's a $10.6MM deal actually.)

« Reply #82 on: July 01, 2018, 02:28:14 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

The least was the minimum...

« Reply #83 on: July 01, 2018, 02:55:40 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182

Are you kidding?  For a veteran player who can easily be in your top 10 playoff rotation, that's a great deal for Baynes. 

Look at Marcus asking for 12-14m per.  If we signed him for 10m per year that would be considered a bargain.  Most likely, unless we do a sign and trade, Marcus takes the risk of playing out this upcoming season on the Qualifying Offer and then hoping to score big in free agency next year.

« Reply #84 on: July 01, 2018, 04:31:29 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501

Yes, it was and the heat here is frying my brain.

« Reply #85 on: July 01, 2018, 04:43:21 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
We have a good that can go mano-a-mano with the league big guys of the league in Baynes and it is a sensible signing.

I'm glad he's here to teach Williams how to play as a big man in the modern league, too.  Williams is a bit smaller but could easily develop a more athletic and hopefully better version of Baynes' game.

« Reply #86 on: July 01, 2018, 11:32:08 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618

This is a pretty amazing deal no? One of the leagues best defensive bigs for less than 5% of the cap?!?! :o
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #87 on: July 02, 2018, 02:33:50 PM »

Offline Miranda-Kerr

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 13
  • MEAN GREEN MONSTAR TEAM

This is a pretty amazing deal no? One of the leagues best defensive bigs for less than 5% of the cap?!?! :o

When you put it like that you can't complain

If his 3 pt % from the playoffs continue into next season it will be a real bargain