Poll

Would You Do One Of These Trades For Kawhi Leonard?

Jaylen + Morris + Yabusele + Rozier + Nader + 2 Non-Kings/Grizzlies Picks FOR Kawhi
9 (16.1%)
Smart (S&T - 14M/Year - Counts As 7M In Trade) + Rozier + Morris + Nader + 2019 Grizzlies OR Kings Pick FOR Kawhi
21 (37.5%)
Kyrie Alone (A Swap)
5 (8.9%)
Kyrie + Morris FOR Kawhi + Mills
1 (1.8%)
None. I Wouldn't Make Any Of These Offers. Just Don't Bother.
20 (35.7%)

Total Members Voted: 56

Author Topic: Ainge Isn't Trading Jaylen For A Rental. Look At PG13 Saga Last Year (Poll)  (Read 3200 times)

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!
Last year, there were rumblings we could trade for George AND Sign Hayward to effectively have a Big 4 of Isaiah/Hayward/George/Horford.

But the main problem in that was that George was a rental and there was no guarantee he'd stay here after the 1 year, and so Ainge would not give up any premium assets for him I believe (at least that's what reports say). If he was willing to, then I think we would have gotten him (because at the time, NO ONE expected Oladipo to become what he did with IND). The logic was that it'd suck if we brought in George for one year (trading a premium asset or two) and then he bolts the next year to LAL. OKC currently could see that happening to them.

This isn't that much different from Kawhi who is a rental right now who very well could just bolt to LAL the year after.

Ainge IS NOT trading Jaylen Brown for a rental, period. If there was some way to do it with a Smart S&T, (rental) Morris + 2-3 Picks (or 1-2 picks + rental Rozier), then Ainge might do it. Otherwise, I don't think BOS makes much of an offer for Kawhi truthfully. We stand relatively pat which is perfectly fine by me (hopefully bringing back Smart, Baynes and drafting someone decent at #27).

IMO, best case scenario is him going to the Clippers. Maybe they offer #12, #13, Johnson, Beverley and Harris to get it done, and that's a pretty good package overall. That keeps him away from LAL and PHI.

And the poll with the 4 trade ideas above, those are probably the four only possible trades we could do for Kawhi (I'm assuming Horford, Hayward and Tatum are understandably untouchable in this, so...).
« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 12:05:08 PM by Phantom255x »
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I picked first one. It's the only one I see Spurs and DA both accepting with one change, I see no draft picks going to Spurs just the players.

Spurs get a young Star to help retool. What more can they ask for for a guy that wants out and can opt out? And I don't feel Ingram is better than Brown so nothing Lakers offer beats getting him.

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!
I picked first one. It's the only one I see Spurs and DA both accepting with one change, I see no draft picks going to Spurs just the players.

Spurs get a young Star to help retool. What more can they ask for for a guy that wants out and can opt out? And I don't feel Ingram is better than Brown so nothing Lakers offer beats getting him.

TP! Yep, but would you (Celtics/Celtics fan) actually propose that offer and be willing to do it?

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson

TP! Yep, but would you (Celtics/Celtics fan) actually propose that offer and be willing to do it?
The fans that wanted Big AL vote no. The fans that wanted KG vote yes.

Offline mqtcelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 236
Well, the poll as constructed leaves no choice but the Smart option, lol. There’s no way SA does that, though. I’d also do the first trade and it’s more realistic.

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512

Yeah but Brown put up multiple 30 point games in the playoffs as a 21 year old and can actually play D, something Al could never do. Brown’s ceiling is higher than Al’s was so it leaves me on the fence for this trade.

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
I think a rental would likely be the end result .

Jaylon , might give 75 % of Kawhi production by next year ,  at a fraction of the cost .

Is Kawhi upgrade a super max price worth it .

I believe Celtics can win with a Healthy Irving and their Kids

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson

Yeah but Brown put up multiple 30 point games in the playoffs as a 21 year old and can actually play D, something Al could never do. Brown’s ceiling is higher than Al’s was so it leaves me on the fence for this trade.
Idk about that if you remember what AL was when he was traded. A 16/9 player at 22 years old. He played okay defense for a young big at the time. Was $ in the post. He was also hitting a mid range jumper at a decent rate. And he had a few big games that were clutch. People were saying his floor was 20/10 guy ceiling 25/15. Injuries hurt Al.

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Different trade. Kawhi much better than George.

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
It’s easy to look at oladipo’s improbable stats last season and retroactively change your opinion of the Paul George trade, but keep in mind literally nobody expected that kind of leap from oladipo.  2018 Terry Rozier has more trade value than 2017 Oladipo.  Seriously.

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Different trade. Kawhi much better than George.
hes also much less healthy and/or has severe personality flaws.

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!
It’s easy to look at oladipo’s improbable stats last season and retroactively change your opinion of the Paul George trade, but keep in mind literally nobody expected that kind of leap from oladipo.  2018 Terry Rozier has more trade value than 2017 Oladipo.  Seriously.

Isn't that what I said?

Oladipo + Sabonis + Pick didn't look like a great offer at the time.

If Ainge wanted to he could have beat that IMO, but he chose not to as it was risky given his rental status. Didn't want to give up even just 1 premium asset (like a Nets Pick).

But it looks genius now.

Online blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1480
I think a rental would likely be the end result .

Jaylon , might give 75 % of Kawhi production by next year ,  at a fraction of the cost .

Is Kawhi upgrade a super max price worth it .

I believe Celtics can win with a Healthy Irving and their Kids

I don't like any of those trade options.  I agree that Jaylen can give you 75-80% of Kawhi this year at a much cheaper price.  At some point the merry go round needs to stop and you need to solidify the team.  We were one game from the finals this year without KI and GH.  I know that KL is a great player, but I wouldn't upset the apple cart at this point.   

I also worry about KL's attitude.  How did things get so bad for him in SA?  Why isn't he happy playing for one of the best organizations in sports?  It makes me wonder if that same attitude might creep up in Boston.  Even with trading brown we still have 4 other all star candidates next year.  Is KL going to be happy playing team ball in boston?  But maybe not, especially if the goal for him is to get to a bigger market and rake in the endorsement money.

Here in southern cal there have been tons of reports on the local news that Kawhi's preference is the lakers.  Laker fans down here think that they will be able to trade for him because that is where he wants to go.  Now that not be completely true, but if KL tells the potential teams flat out he isn't going to resign there why would any team move forward with the deal?  The player does have some control in this situation.  I would love to hear the full story from Pop himself and hear why things went south with KL.

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
The 2nd trade is the obvious choice. I will be greedy and push for the Grizz pick (and maybe the LAC '1st') instead of the SAC pick.

With that option, we don't need to worry about the contracts of Smart, Rozier, and Morris and we keep Jaylen and the SAC pick. Re-sign Baynes to ~$5M, use the tax payer MLE on a solid vet, and sign the best vet min players we can find and call it a day.

Offline bogg

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 51
The George trade maybe isn't a great example to use. If I'm remembering correctly reports at the time were that Ainge was planning on doubling back to Indiana in the event he DID sign Hayward, as he thought the only way to keep George would be to field a credible contender (and remember, this was pre-Kyrie). Supposedly Boston was floored that Indiana pulled the trigger as early as they did. If the Pacers wait two more weeks Paul George may have spent the last season in green (but it turned out good for them and for Boston, so whatever).