Author Topic: Philadelphia scares me...  (Read 5311 times)

Re: Philadelphia scares me...
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2018, 08:35:47 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
No way San  Antonio accepts that
It's a pretty good deal for San Antonio.

Kawhi is an expiring contract.  The kind of return they should be expecting is similar to what Indiana got for Paul George.

Granted, that Indiana deal became shockingly good in retrospect, because of how phenomenal Oladipo became, but that was a pretty big surprise. 

An elite prospect like Fultz + a top 10 pick + a solid starter in Covington is a pretty nice deal.  Philly only gives that up if they have assurance Kawhi re-signs.  That's where Kawhi has leverage... if he says he's only willing to re-sign in Los Angeles, he has a lot of power.

Fultz is a question mark. I don’t write him off yet, but last year happened. He is by far the biggest piece in that deal. If his value is anywhere from bust to star, how does SA value him?

I don’t think this package will do it because (1) somebody will offer better - Ingram and Kuzma and a pick is certainly better, in the eyes of almost any team; and (2) SA just got burned by a guy who walked for noninjury reasons - they won’t want another very unsure thing.

« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2018, 08:49:50 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
I think, Šarić, one of the draft stashes and 10th is fair offer. Kawhis value now is lower than what Kyries was last summer IMO and this one is surprisingly comparable.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2018, 08:55:30 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
I think, Šarić, one of the draft stashes and 10th is fair offer. Kawhis value now is lower than what Kyries was last summer IMO and this one is surprisingly comparable.

Whatever is fair in a vacuum, would you take that Philly package over Ingram, Kuzma, and a pick? I might take Ingram by himself over that Philly offer.

« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2018, 09:12:16 AM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Honestly I'm tired of hearing about Philly! They aren't better than us and Lebron is not going there end of story.

« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2018, 09:22:20 AM »

Offline celticinorlando

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 637
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Philly? Come on.

« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2018, 09:34:18 AM »

Offline Fireworks_Boom!

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57
Honestly I'm tired of hearing about Philly! They aren't better than us and Lebron is not going there end of story.

How can you be so certain LBJ isn't going there? The premise of my original post is that IF Lebron goes there, AND they attract Kawhi Leonard, they would be a scary team. That's a lot of IFs but superstars in this league are colluding to join forces to compete with GSW. One would have to imagine LBJ is thinking it through right now.

Think of it from this perspective:

I could to LA and build around myself, PG13 and KL but then we'd have a make shift team thereafter given many of their young talents would exit in the trade for KL.

Or I could go to Philly and have a team that is built from the ground up only needing 2 superstars to take it over the top. I see Philly as much more attractive option than LA if my intent is winning which call LBJ what you want, he likes to win.

« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2018, 09:47:13 AM »

Offline celticinorlando

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 637
  • MASTER OF PANIC

How can you be so certain LBJ isn't going there? The premise of my original post is that IF Lebron goes there, AND they attract Kawhi Leonard, they would be a scary team. That's a lot of IFs but superstars in this league are colluding to join forces to compete with GSW. One would have to imagine LBJ is thinking it through right now.

I could to LA and build around myself, PG13 and KL but then we'd have a make shift team thereafter given many of their young talents would exit in the trade for KL.

Or I could go to Philly and have a team that is built from the ground up only needing 2 superstars to take it over the top. I see Philly as much more attractive option than LA if my intent is winning which call LBJ what you want, he likes to win.

James wants to be the focal point. And according to D Wade who knows him James number one thing is lifestyle. Philly is no better than Cleveland there.

James wants to be in la

« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2018, 09:48:28 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Covington Fultz and the 10th pick?  That's crap compensation.  Fultz can't even shoot a JUMPSHOT!  He was DNPed the entire playoffs!  Covington is a journeyman, nothing special.

That offer does NOT beat a package of Jaylen Brown, Morris, Smart/Rozier etc. + the Kings pick plus additional firsts.

Celtics can beat the Phila package easily.

Trust me, Lebron is going to the Lakers with his buddy Paul George.  The nice thing about that is it ignites the Celts-Lakers rivalry.  And the even nicer thing is that it takes him out of the East.  Good luck getting out of the West Lebron!!

Phila doesn't scare me.  Who are they going to attract?  They are a bunch of puppies who suffered a 'gentleman sweep' at the hands of the C's.
Its better compensation than Indiana got for George, and the Kings got for Cousins and the Bulls got for Butler.  And the later two weren't even 1 year rentals.

We can certainly outbid the Sixers and Lakers but will we?   

Not really. In a re-draft Markannen would go ahead of Fultz and they received Lavine and Dunn too. That package is way superior to the Sixers one above.

« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2018, 09:55:30 AM »

Offline Fireworks_Boom!

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57
I don’t think this package will do it because (1) somebody will offer better - Ingram and Kuzma and a pick is certainly better, in the eyes of almost any team; and (2) SA just got burned by a guy who walked for noninjury reasons - they won’t want another very unsure thing.

I don't think LA offers this package.

« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2018, 10:14:25 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
Covington Fultz and the 10th pick?  That's crap compensation.  Fultz can't even shoot a JUMPSHOT!  He was DNPed the entire playoffs!  Covington is a journeyman, nothing special.

That offer does NOT beat a package of Jaylen Brown, Morris, Smart/Rozier etc. + the Kings pick plus additional firsts.

Trust me, Lebron is going to the Lakers with his buddy Paul George.  The nice thing about that is it ignites the Celts-Lakers rivalry.  And the even nicer thing is that it takes him out of the East.  Good luck getting out of the West Lebron!!

Phila doesn't scare me.  Who are they going to attract?  They are a bunch of puppies who suffered a 'gentleman sweep' at the hands of the C's.
Its better compensation than Indiana got for George, and the Kings got for Cousins and the Bulls got for Butler.  And the later two weren't even 1 year rentals.

Not really. In a re-draft Markannen would go ahead of Fultz and they received Lavine and Dunn too. That package is way superior to the Sixers one above.
You should judge the trade by merits of the trade at the time it was made.  Markkanen was the #7 pick not a projected star.  He had a good rookie season but not spectacular.  If Fultz shows decent shooting next season, he probably jumps back ahead of Markkanen, 

The trade was Butler and #16 for Lavine, Dunn and #7.  So Chicago didn't even get a pick.  They just moved up 9 spots to mid lottery.  Lavine is a great athlete with decent offense and lousy defense.  He was recovering from an ACL injury and heading into the last year of his rookie contract.  Dunn played like crap his rookie year and he was an old rookie.  Neither Lavine or Dunn had star potential.  That's not very good value.

I'd definitely prefer Fultz, #10 and Covington to that.   To top it off Butler had 2 years left on his contract not one.   

« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2018, 04:00:26 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
Another the sky is falling thread... Has there been an uptick in drama students on CelticsBlog recently?

If Kawhi gets moved it isn't going to be for peanuts. Kawhi is less of a flight risk than people think because next summer it'll be very hard for LA to have the cap room of they decide to bring in 2 max stars this summer. And he won't leave $50m on the table.

If he comes East I could see New York making a serious offer, for Philly to get him they'd have to significantly up the offer. Realistically you'd also have to eat a contract from SAS as well to take on Kawhi which makes it that much harder to keep the cap space for LeBron (who isn't going to choose Phila anyway)

« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2018, 05:35:56 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
Fultz is wierd

Embiid is a walking bowed legged injury waiting to happen

Simmons looks like he is not driven to be a winner ,  thus will he ever put in the work to shoot a jumper .  Is he really truely here for the sport or just the money firstand forever.

Covington looks peakd.

Brown ..is a dreamer

They need PG or Lebron to pull them up by the boot straps.

Celtics will spank their butts again with Irving full strenght.
Embiid is already the best center in the league and he hasn't played 100 games yet.  Simmons should have made the all-star game in his 1st season.  The Fultz saga is certainly weird but no reason to think his shooting won't improve. 

The Sixers won 52 games and finished with the 5th best overall record so they don't need Lebron or PG to pull them up by their boot straps.  They need one of them to make them a true contender.

An all-star is someone you'd want to sit down in favor of TJ freakin McConnell? Okay.  ;D

« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2018, 05:38:14 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699

The Lakers offer trumps the Sixers imho.

« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2018, 06:47:19 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323

Agree, they are a paper tiger.

« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2018, 08:29:52 AM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182

I'll give you one simple reason. Philly already has a point forward in Simmons they can't co-exist. Lebron wants the ball in his hands and make plays for shooters, Simmons can't shoot. So are they trading Simmons? If so then why go there to play with Embiid who could go down with a season ending injury at any moment? None of that makes sense, none of it.