Author Topic: Why Kawhi Leonard...we already have him  (Read 22127 times)

Re: Why Kawhi Leonard...we already have him
« Reply #90 on: June 16, 2018, 04:32:01 PM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
We have to ask ourselves if Kawhi was playing in the 7th game vs the Cavs this year and not Brown would he have been better for us?

I think Ainge knows he needs his defense on Bron, KD and Harden...while getting 20 himself.

Can Brown do that? I think he can he's not there yet.

As a 21 year old, Brown averaged 18 points and 5 rebounds, while defending the other team's best player. He also had a bum hamstring.

As a 21 year old, Leonard averaged 14 points and 9 rebounds, while defending the other team's best player.

As a 22 year old, Leonard averaged 14 points and 7 rebounds, while defending the other team's best player. This run included a 4 point game, a 7 point game, and a 6 point game. It also included two 9 point games in the finals.

As a 23 year old, the Spurs were eliminated by the Clippers in the first round of the playoffs. Leonard had 12 points and 13 points in games 6 and 7, both of which were losses.

The concept that, because Brown struggled in game 7, it means his ceiling isn't as high as Leonard, is flawed.

We're not trading for Kawhi at 21, 22, or 23. If Kawhi is healthy, he is better than Brown, and any reasonable expectation of what Brown turns into. I have high hopes for Brown, but Leonard is a two time DPOY and MVP candidate

Disagree but neither of us will say anything new and neither of us will convince the other.

The argument that was made (and has been made in other places) was regarding Jaylen's upside due to his poor last game. That argument is flawed. That was my only point.

No, your premise is flawed. I said that last game vs Cavs because ultimately that's what all this boils down too. Getting Kawhi now is what's important. We know Brown will eventually get better but how much is the question.

In order for Ainge to regret this trade Brown would have to be the DPOY multiple times, and be a top 5 player in the league within 5 years. Is that possible?
Of course its possible that Brown could be that good, but your point is that the odds are that he won't.

I would say that Jaylen's odds of becoming an occasional all star are about 25%
His odds of being Paul George good are about 50%
His odds of being top 5 good are about 25%

Jaylen has a huge upside.

You are also ignoring the very real possibility that Kawhi Leonard doesn't have problems going forward. Last year was disturbing on several levels. It is hardly a sure bet that he comes back as if nothing had happened. There is a very real possibility that Jaylen is the better player in a year or two.

« Reply #91 on: June 16, 2018, 05:20:05 PM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 125
We have to ask ourselves if Kawhi was playing in the 7th game vs the Cavs this year and not Brown would he have been better for us?

I think Ainge knows he needs his defense on Bron, KD and Harden...while getting 20 himself.

As a 21 year old, Brown averaged 18 points and 5 rebounds, while defending the other team's best player. He also had a bum hamstring.

As a 21 year old, Leonard averaged 14 points and 9 rebounds, while defending the other team's best player.

As a 22 year old, Leonard averaged 14 points and 7 rebounds, while defending the other team's best player. This run included a 4 point game, a 7 point game, and a 6 point game. It also included two 9 point games in the finals.

As a 23 year old, the Spurs were eliminated by the Clippers in the first round of the playoffs. Leonard had 12 points and 13 points in games 6 and 7, both of which were losses.

The concept that, because Brown struggled in game 7, it means his ceiling isn't as high as Leonard, is flawed.

We're not trading for Kawhi at 21, 22, or 23. If Kawhi is healthy, he is better than Brown, and any reasonable expectation of what Brown turns into. I have high hopes for Brown, but Leonard is a two time DPOY and MVP candidate

Disagree but neither of us will say anything new and neither of us will convince the other.

The argument that was made (and has been made in other places) was regarding Jaylen's upside due to his poor last game. That argument is flawed. That was my only point.

No, your premise is flawed. I said that last game vs Cavs because ultimately that's what all this boils down too. Getting Kawhi now is what's important. We know Brown will eventually get better but how much is the question.

In order for Ainge to regret this trade Brown would have to be the DPOY multiple times, and be a top 5 player in the league within 5 years. Is that possible?
Of course its possible that Brown could be that good, but your point is that the odds are that he won't.

You are also ignoring the very real possibility that Kawhi Leonard doesn't have problems going forward. Last year was disturbing on several levels. It is hardly a sure bet that he comes back as if nothing had happened. There is a very real possibility that Jaylen is the better player in a year or two.

No I'm not saying that but to become a multiple DPOY and top 5 player just isn't something that many players achieve but they can still be very good players.

I'm not sure where your odds came from but...ok

Keep in mind, guys that leave Stevens system fall into a NBA black hole and guys that come here look like totally different players.

« Reply #92 on: June 16, 2018, 05:40:22 PM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
The odds were purely my opinion, and I agree that peak Kawhi (so far) was near MVP level.

San Antonio isn't a black hole. They have a pretty good track record of getting the best out of players too. T

« Reply #93 on: June 16, 2018, 05:51:39 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
What if Leonard has peaked? What if, when he is on a team with other all-star players, he only averages 18, 6, and 2 with all-nba level defense? What if his athleticism is waning as fast as Gerald Wallace's did at the same age?

Cuz that is how I view Leonard moving forward. Brown is almost that already, and has another 6-10 years of peak athleticism and development to his game.

« Reply #94 on: June 16, 2018, 06:02:32 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

you are basically saying there is a 75% chance brown ends up Paul George at the least. 

That’s wildly optimistic.  The most likely scenario, by far, is that he peaks out as a fringe star that never makes an allstar team.

Brown might end up terrific, but his ceiling is stil lower than prime kawhi.  Best case scenario he ends up like jimmy butler.

« Reply #95 on: June 16, 2018, 06:57:31 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549

you are basically saying there is a 75% chance brown ends up Paul George at the least. 

That’s wildly optimistic.  The most likely scenario, by far, is that he peaks out as a fringe star that never makes an allstar team.

Brown might end up terrific, but his ceiling is stil lower than prime kawhi.  Best case scenario he ends up like jimmy butler.

I just dont know how anybody can make such a definite statement about his potential. He is already better or comparable to Butler, George, Kawhi, Hayward at age 21. Given that all those guys became all stars or better the statement thay Brown is bery unlikely to be that good seems obviously flawed
Now I agree that Brown is unlikely to be as good as Kawhi, but given thay Kawhi made that leap in a similar situation (hard worker, raw talent lacking skills, good coach, winning team) its not impossible.

And he doesnt need to reach peak Kawhi for us to regret a deal. Maybe he is just a Paul George level, his is still younger. cheaper, healthier and for all those reasons it could end up a bad trade. Im not saying u dont do it, but we have to be award it could go bad.

« Reply #96 on: June 16, 2018, 07:11:59 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823

Or maybe, Ainge regrets this trade if Kawhi still has a bad wheel. Why is there so much confidence on this board that he’s fine? Obviously, I don’t know that he has a problem but it’s hardly crazy to wonder. He’s played about five games of regular season basketball since he landed on Zaza Pachulia’s  foot in 2017.  Who knows what he is? And don’t forget – he ended the season early in 2012 with an injury to his other knee.

It might make sense to trade for him, if the Celtics can be confident in us and his health. But I think all these trades need to be contingent on some basic facts none of us has.

« Reply #97 on: June 16, 2018, 07:26:12 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
You don't want Kawhi , with both Lebron and PG on the Lakers .....thats a problem

I hoping Spurs can find a place for him anywhere but LA

Spurs hate Lakers as bad or worse than Boston

I rather keep Brown and Kawhi go anywhere but Lakers

« Reply #98 on: June 16, 2018, 08:32:21 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 722
I just don't see why people are so hopeful of landing him. I feel like we have a younger version of him in the making in Jaylen Brown on a cost controlled contract and someone who is healthy. Obviously, you can argue KL is better but is he 4-6x better? And isn';t JB on the same career trajectory as KL? Will he ever reach the height of KL? No one can tell. But I'm willing to bet on it. He has athleticism through the roof and his work ethic and drive to be the best matches his athleticism level.

I just don't see why people are so hell bent on getting KL. Look close at the stats:

Kawhi Leonard
Age 20: 7.9ppg/5.1rpg in 24mpg
Age 21: 11.9ppg/6.0rpg in 31mpg
Age 22: 12.8ppg/6.2rpg in 29mpg
Age 23: 16.5ppg/7.2rpg in 32mpg
Age 24: 21.2ppg/ 6.8rpg in 33mpg
Age 25: 25.5ppg/5.8rpg in 33mpg

Jaylen Brown
Age 20: 6.6ppg/3rpg in 17mpg
Age 21: 14.5ppg/5rpg in 31mpg

It's arguable, JB has developed even quicker than KL as he is already nearly matching Season 4 output in his 2nd season.

I am absolutely NOT hell-bent on acquiring Leonard. Don't trade our young, very talented players away for a guy that doesn't even want to be here. I'm sick of hearing about Leonard wants to play for the Lakers and Kyrie wants to be a Knick. If they are not begging to be a Celtic, I don't want them. Our young guys seem quite content to play here, long-term.

I am praying that Danny and his Trader Ego can stay patient and keep the very good team that we have now. If healthy, I say they are the biggest threat in the league to Golden State.

Why he wants to trade when he already has the players he needs is a continual frustration for this Celtic fan.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #99 on: June 16, 2018, 09:43:31 PM »

Offline CF033

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74

No one has any clue what Jaylen Brown's ceiling is or what his best case scenario is.

« Reply #100 on: June 16, 2018, 10:12:57 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

I just dont know how anybody can make such a definite statement about his potential. He is already better or comparable to Butler, George, Kawhi, Hayward at age 21. Given that all those guys became all stars or better the statement thay Brown is bery unlikely to be that good seems obviously flawed
Now I agree that Brown is unlikely to be as good as Kawhi, but given thay Kawhi made that leap in a similar situation (hard worker, raw talent lacking skills, good coach, winning team) its not impossible.

And he doesnt need to reach peak Kawhi for us to regret a deal. Maybe he is just a Paul George level, his is still younger. cheaper, healthier and for all those reasons it could end up a bad trade. Im not saying u dont do it, but we have to be award it could go bad.
hes also the same level of Michael Beasley and Jeff green during their 2nd seasons.  I’m optimistic about Brown’s future too, but calm down.  Stop using exceptions to prove he’s a future star. Plenty of young players averaged 14 points in their 2nd year and didn’t become stars.  Brown more than likely will peak out as a fringe star.  His game is still pretty limited.  It’s possible, but not likely he ends up as good as Paul George.

« Reply #101 on: June 16, 2018, 10:19:09 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

No one has any clue what Jaylen Brown's ceiling is or what his best case scenario is.
lots of players had high ceilings they never reached.  His highest possible ceiling is probably jimmy butler. A mid-level expectation for him is probably André Iguodala.  Still a solid chance he ends up worse.

« Reply #102 on: June 16, 2018, 10:24:18 PM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 125
Folks, we can't forget that Brown was the first or second option on a team that lost it's two best players...Ainge probably realizes that. Ainge contacts the Spurs at the deadline about Kawhi becuase he doesn't expect Tatum to play like a 10 yr vet in the playoffs.

Now when Kyrie and Hayward come back with Horford and Tatum, where is Brown on the food chain?? He's not getting more shots than 3 of the 4. However, we'll need someone to defend while Kyrie and Hayward can get buckets.

I don't mind keeping Brown but remember no one wanted to give up IT until Kyrie came available.

« Reply #103 on: June 16, 2018, 10:38:11 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
Folks, we can't forget that Brown was the first or second option on a team that lost it's two best players...Ainge probably realizes that. Ainge contacts the Spurs at the deadline about Kawhi becuase he doesn't expect Tatum to play like a 10 yr vet in the playoffs.

Now when Kyrie and Hayward come back with Horford and Tatum, where is Brown on the food chain?? He's not getting more shots than 3 of the 4. However, we'll need someone to defend while Kyrie and Hayward can get buckets.

I don't mind keeping Brown but remember no one wanted to give up IT until Kyrie came available.
brown will be 4th option if everyone is healthy.  Maybe 6th man

« Reply #104 on: June 16, 2018, 10:52:30 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

lots of players had high ceilings they never reached.  His highest possible ceiling is probably jimmy butler. A mid-level expectation for him is probably André Iguodala.  Still a solid chance he ends up worse.
What are you actually basing these projections on? He doesn’t play like Jimmy Butler nor Iguodala
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)