Author Topic: Why Kawhi Leonard...we already have him  (Read 22479 times)

Re: Why Kawhi Leonard...we already have him
« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2018, 03:42:04 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I think if we trade anyone for Kawhi, it will be Kyrie and I honestly doubt even that happens.   We don't know how healthy he is and his best year was two years ago.

« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2018, 03:42:09 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
Simple trade would be Kyrie for Kawhi. Both are pending FA and salaries probably match...both coming off injury.

Rozier has proved he can handle starting.
Why would you do that? The plan would be to lock up Kyrie/Kawhi long term and be a force for years to come. Those guys would have the best shot at knocking out the Warriors too. I’m all in on Kawhi.
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2018, 03:43:00 PM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 659
  • MASTER OF PANIC
At least this kills the Lebron to boston rumors..for now
but not really.  The fans who believe kyrie and Lebron hate each other will just imagine trading kyrie for kawhi and then Horford for Lebron

If Ainge does all of that...he is just in a lab creating Frankenstein. That would be crazy..but I could see it going down.

« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2018, 03:46:10 PM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219
I'm not sure I know of another player that gets his shot blocked as much as he does.

Blocked by Korver, too. That alone has me second-guessing his athleticism, lol.

I would rather trade Kyrie for Leonard, still. Smart/Rozier, Brown, Leonard, Tatum, Horford would be a dominant defense.
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #34 on: June 15, 2018, 03:48:51 PM »

Offline CF033

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74
Just say no to LeBron
Just say no to Kawhi

Let's not risk future pieces for guys who may not even want to stick around long term.

We have the chance to build a team that will win for years to come, no need for instant gratification. Let's keep the current team as-is.

« Reply #35 on: June 15, 2018, 03:51:26 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 743
I worry about Kawhi. The situation in San Antonio is just so strange. It sounds like maybe he's listening to some people he shouldn't be which can make everything more complicated going forward.

On top of that, after 7 seasons, Kawhi has missed about 30% of his games with injuries, including this mysterious hamstring injury that was allegedly fixed a few years ago but... wasn't.

If I didn't already think the Celtics were a championship team, I would absolutely take the risk on Kawhi. But I think the Celtics team we have now can win a championship this season. With that in mind, the risk is a little too much for me. I want to see what the group we have now can do.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #36 on: June 15, 2018, 04:13:13 PM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 125
Well if something is going down, I suspect it will be on draft night.

Sounds like the Celtics have monitored his situation for awhile. At some point Ainge has to stabilize this roster and can't keep looking at the next pretty girl that comes along.

« Reply #37 on: June 15, 2018, 04:13:52 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1479
I worry about Kawhi. The situation in San Antonio is just so strange. It sounds like maybe he's listening to some people he shouldn't be which can make everything more complicated going forward.

On top of that, after 7 seasons, Kawhi has missed about 30% of his games with injuries, including this mysterious hamstring injury that was allegedly fixed a few years ago but... wasn't.

If I didn't already think the Celtics were a championship team, I would absolutely take the risk on Kawhi. But I think the Celtics team we have now can win a championship this season. With that in mind, the risk is a little too much for me. I want to see what the group we have now can do.

I agree the Kawhi thing and the Spurs is really odd.  He is supposed to be a pretty decent guy, the Spurs are one of the best organizations in all of pro sports.  What happened to get to this point?  If I am DA that is a question I want answered

« Reply #38 on: June 15, 2018, 04:16:24 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1479
I'm not sure I know of another player that gets his shot blocked as much as he does.

Blocked by Korver, too. That alone has me second-guessing his athleticism, lol.

I would rather trade Kyrie for Leonard, still. Smart/Rozier, Brown, Leonard, Tatum, Horford would be a dominant defense.

Is there any way that G. Hayward could handle a point forward type position?  Is he a good enough ball handler?

Hayward - Brown - Leonard - Tatum - Horford would be a scary lineup for the rest of the nba if one of those guys could run the show.

« Reply #39 on: June 15, 2018, 04:19:07 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 915
We are NOT trading Brown in a Leonard move. We just aren't.

Look, Danny is the most cap-focused GM in basketball. Trading a talented young guy for a guy on the verge of a huge contract would be inconsistent with everything he's done over the past several years.

Mike

« Reply #40 on: June 15, 2018, 04:32:17 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
We are NOT trading Brown in a Leonard move. We just aren't.

Look, Danny is the most cap-focused GM in basketball. Trading a talented young guy for a guy on the verge of a huge contract would be inconsistent with everything he's done over the past several years.

Mike

Brown is due a huge contact (not quite as huge but still large) only one season later than Kawhi.

Danny is championship-level player focused.  The cap focus is a means to an end — that end being guys like Hayward, Horford, Kyrie, and perhaps Kawhi.  If Ainge thinks that Kawhi is more championship-caliber than Jaylen (which, unless you have serious reservations about his health, is true), then yes, Brown will he traded and Danny won’t blink an eye.

There’s a price that’s too high for Ainge, but it isn’t Jaylen.  Not clear if Tatum would be a price too high.

« Reply #41 on: June 15, 2018, 04:36:32 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527

I agree the Kawhi thing and the Spurs is really odd.  He is supposed to be a pretty decent guy, the Spurs are one of the best organizations in all of pro sports.  What happened to get to this point?  If I am DA that is a question I want answered

Agreed. Aldridge had problems too and demanded a trade last summer too, strange...

« Reply #42 on: June 15, 2018, 04:37:22 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Love Jaylen, but doubt he is destined to reach Kawhi's level of greatness.  Kawhi is the Lebron (and hopefully, Durant) anti-dote. 

« Reply #43 on: June 15, 2018, 04:43:34 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Kawhi and Jimmy Butler are a couple rare exceptions.  Generally, NBA superstars reach that level before age 23.  Go back and look at guys like Durant, Anthony Davis, Kobe, LeBron, etc and you'll see all of them more or less reach their superstar stat output by age 21.  That's why you should prepare yourself for Tatum (a true superstar prospect) to reach that level as early as next season.

With Kawhi and JImmy, they had uniquely weird developmental paths where they slowly improved over the course of 5 seasons getting to their "star" level at age 25. 

That's not really typical. 

So I understand how you can look at someone like Jaylen's current trajectory and say "oh, he's on path to be the next Jimmy Butler in a few more years."  To be clear, I was actually on board with the Jaylen Brown pick on day 1 and said I hoped he could be Jimmy Butler in 5 years, so I'm not totally dismissing that concept.  But I think we need to be careful about not setting our expectations too high.   

Jaylen Brown 2nd year:  14.5 points, 4.9 rebounds, 1.6 assists, 1 steal with 46.5%/39.5%/64.4% shooting.

Jeff Green 2nd year: 16.5 points, 6.7 rebounds, 2 assists, 1 steal with 44.6%/38.9%/78.8% shooting.

If you were to back a decade and ask me about Jeff Green, I would have told you he was on a path to stardom and could probably be the best player on a team if they didn't already have the phenom Durant.  Green was a similar player.  Decent shot, strong defender, super athletic, explosive, limited offensive skill set. 

I remember getting a glimpse into how good Jeff Green could be during Feburary of his 2nd season when he put up averages of 20.5 points, 9.5 rebounds, 2.7 assists with 45.7%/40.5%/79% shooting.  That was a whole month of Green looking like an all-star during his 2nd season.

In a lot of ways Tatum/Brown reminded me a TON of Durant/Green this season. 

For what it's worth, I think Green was poorly developed.  He played out of position early on (before it was trendy) and SEA/OKC didn't have the supporting talent, coaching and environment for him to blossom the same way Brown can.  Also, Green always seemed a little checked out.  Brown seems motivated and hungry to go beyond Green's ceiling.   

But just because he's improved doesn't mean he's a guarantee to continue improving.

« Reply #44 on: June 15, 2018, 04:47:51 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I would spend the next twenty minutes of my life showing you how stupid it is to compare young Jeff Green to Jaylen Brown, but life is too short even for twenty minutes.

I'll just say, either you don't really believe that take or you haven't thought about the context of those stats much at all.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain