Poll

Do you think Kahwi Leonard comes to Boston?

Yes
14 (15.9%)
No
74 (84.1%)

Total Members Voted: 88

Voting closed: June 29, 2018, 11:30:27 PM

Author Topic: Kawhi Leonard (Merged Threads)  (Read 119319 times)

Re: Kawhi Leonard (Merged Threads)
« Reply #510 on: June 24, 2018, 09:47:35 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
What if Philly trades for Kawhi with the thought it can bring LeBron with him through FA? That’s the only scary thought I have in this.

Btw listening to Brett Brown on the radio the other day he basically admitted the only reason they traded Mikal Bridges was for that Heat pick to potentially use in a trade for a star player.

They don’t need Lebron. Kawhi enough to make them dangerous.

« Reply #511 on: June 24, 2018, 09:57:59 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
If Brown makes a trade for Kawhi that only costs them Fultz, some of their Thursday night draftees, and picks, he’ll have earned himself the permanent GM job.  That’s normally not a good strategy, but it could work here since his primary GM job going forward would be to make sure that his stars, beginning with Kawhi, want to stay, and that’s a role more easily performed as a coach.

« Reply #512 on: June 24, 2018, 10:06:49 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
What if Philly trades for Kawhi with the thought it can bring LeBron with him through FA? That’s the only scary thought I have in this.

Btw listening to Brett Brown on the radio the other day he basically admitted the only reason they traded Mikal Bridges was for that Heat pick to potentially use in a trade for a star player.
Really like Coach Brown.  He's a good face for their franchise.  Comes across as honest and straightforward and open.  I'd think they'd wait until free agency to discuss the possibilities with Lebron before making a move on Kawhi or anyone else.   

The 2021 draft is when the one and done rule may be gone so that draft could have a bunch more talent in it.  So an unprotected 2021 pick is a very good asset to have whether you trade it or end up using it. 

« Reply #513 on: June 24, 2018, 10:21:52 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
The Sixers do have one big advantage in regards to Kawhi.  The doctor that Kawhi is using for this injury also heads up the Sixers medical department.  So they should have the best info on Kawhi's medical situation and Kawhi should be comfortable with the medical care he'd get with the Sixers. 

« Reply #514 on: June 24, 2018, 10:35:24 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

Getting Lebron may actually be a negative for Kawhi assuming that he's looking to get a bit more media attention and a big shoe deal.  Kawhi, Simmons and Embiid would be billed as a big 3.  If they get Lebron, most of the media attention would be on Lebron. 

Although trading for Kawhi would cost them significant assets, it would help them because he's only making 20M rather than the 30M (George) or 35M (Lebron, Paul) that top free agents would cost.  That savings should allow them to retain Redick.  If they get a Max free agent, they probably can't offer Redick more than the room exception (~5M). 

« Reply #515 on: June 24, 2018, 12:21:05 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

Getting Lebron may actually be a negative for Kawhi assuming that he's looking to get a bit more media attention and a big shoe deal.  Kawhi, Simmons and Embiid would be billed as a big 3.  If they get Lebron, most of the media attention would be on Lebron. 

Although trading for Kawhi would cost them significant assets, it would help them because he's only making 20M rather than the 30M (George) or 35M (Lebron, Paul) that top free agents would cost.  That savings should allow them to retain Redick.  If they get a Max free agent, they probably can't offer Redick more than the room exception (~5M).

Agree, Tazz. And the  moves they made on draft night (picking up that Miami pick in trade of picks with AZ) suggest that is what they are planning to do: Go after KL.  Always thought Lebron was a bad fit there, despite his recent leaks to press that he wants to become more of an off ball player. Yeah right.

« Reply #516 on: June 24, 2018, 12:50:42 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 866
  • GOT IT!!!

Not dangerous enough to beat a healthy C’s team in my eyes.

« Reply #517 on: June 24, 2018, 12:59:34 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
The Sixers do have one big advantage in regards to Kawhi.  The doctor that Kawhi is using for this injury also heads up the Sixers medical department.  So they should have the best info on Kawhi's medical situation and Kawhi should be comfortable with the medical care he'd get with the Sixers.

I think the Sixers picked that Heat pick directly for a Kawhi trade.

« Reply #518 on: June 24, 2018, 01:01:47 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
Nothing like seeing people constantly slobber all over a team you just knocked out of the playoffs in 5 games
« Last Edit: June 24, 2018, 01:13:24 PM by celticsclay »

« Reply #519 on: June 24, 2018, 01:24:45 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
Nothing like seeing people constantly slobber all over a team you just knocked out of the playoffs in 5 games

Yeah its funny people reacting to Philly possibly getting Leonard and freaking out. But we're getting Irving and Hayward, and who knows what Williams might be able to provide on the defensive end against Embiid.  Williams not being ready this season is worst case right now. LOL

« Reply #520 on: June 24, 2018, 10:26:36 PM »

Offline nebist

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 67
Now that the draft has passed and nobody made a top 5 pick available for Kawhi, I’m wondering what the eventual compensation will look like for him. The last couple of stars to move (George, Cousins) did not get as big a return as people originally thought they would. And while Kawhi is a better player, he is certainly not without injury and character question issues.

So while I didn’t think it would be possible before the draft, I now wonder if the Spurs will fetch a better package than this one from the Celtics:
Rozier
Morris
Williams
Smart (signed between 10-12 mil)
SAC Pick
LAC or BOS Pick

Do you all think the Spurs will end up with a better or worse package than that in the end?

And how does that package compare to the following.
LAL: Ingram/Kuzma/Deng/1 first
LAC: Harris/Beverly/2 firsts
PHI: Fultz/Covington/Saric/1 first

« Reply #521 on: June 24, 2018, 11:35:36 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 722
Now that the draft has passed and nobody made a top 5 pick available for Kawhi, I’m wondering what the eventual compensation will look like for him. The last couple of stars to move (George, Cousins) did not get as big a return as people originally thought they would. And while Kawhi is a better player, he is certainly not without injury and character question issues.

So while I didn’t think it would be possible before the draft, I now wonder if the Spurs will fetch a better package than this one from the Celtics:
Rozier
Morris
Williams
Smart (signed between 10-12 mil)
SAC Pick
LAC or BOS Pick

Do you all think the Spurs will end up with a better or worse package than that in the end?

And how does that package compare to the following.
LAL: Ingram/Kuzma/Deng/1 first
LAC: Harris/Beverly/2 firsts
PHI: Fultz/Covington/Saric/1 first

I don't care if we could trade Larkin for Leonard straight up  - I want no part of this guy. We already got one shaky character and I don't want another.

Danny, Please Keep Away and stay with the team you worked so hard to build - We could destroy all this progress with one bad move.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #522 on: June 24, 2018, 11:43:50 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
ESPN story in which Bruce Bowen comments on how Kawhi Leonard has conducted himself poorly this season:

"As a player, if I'm a leader of a team, my team goes on the road in the playoffs, I'm with my guys," Bowen said in reference to Leonard's absence. "Because that's what it's all about. It's about camaraderie. It's about fellowship. It's a brotherhood. When that didn't happen, it's all kinds of sirens and alarm signals that says to me, 'Is this person fully vested?' ... I don't want to take on a player who's not willing to support his guys during the course of their time needing him."
« Last Edit: June 24, 2018, 11:52:10 PM by tenn_smoothie »

« Reply #523 on: June 25, 2018, 12:33:32 AM »

Online GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
ESPN story in which Bruce Bowen comments on how Kawhi Leonard has conducted himself poorly this season:

"As a player, if I'm a leader of a team, my team goes on the road in the playoffs, I'm with my guys," Bowen said in reference to Leonard's absence. "Because that's what it's all about. It's about camaraderie. It's about fellowship. It's a brotherhood. When that didn't happen, it's all kinds of sirens and alarm signals that says to me, 'Is this person fully vested?' ... I don't want to take on a player who's not willing to support his guys during the course of their time needing him."

I think he knew long before their meeting that he never wanted to play for the Spurs again.

It’s not that different than Kyrie last year not talking to teammates for days then threatening surgery to miss entire season.

Maybe a change of scenery will do him good.

Just wonder how he can go to LAL if they land LeBron this summer with another star. Will they only be able to do a sign and trade? Or will he look to go to the Clippers? Will they have the space?
« Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 04:26:25 PM by GreenEnvy »
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #524 on: June 25, 2018, 12:46:48 AM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
You are correct - Not all that different from Irving.

All reports are that he is in love with the Lakers and if they don't want to wait on him, they will have to pay. I'm sure the Celts could outbid them, but I don't want to give up all those players that have been contributors to our success this season. Plus, it appears Leonard would have no problem playing somewhere this season and then bolting for LA next summer. We would be left with no Kawhi and 4-5 important players that we have now.

Hope Danny sits on his hands a bit and keeps some players around for more than a couple of seasons. We are building a title team that will be competitive for a decade - so let them develop and build some loyalty and chemistry in the process.