Poll

Do you think Kahwi Leonard comes to Boston?

Yes
14 (15.9%)
No
74 (84.1%)

Total Members Voted: 88

Voting closed: June 29, 2018, 11:30:27 PM

Author Topic: Kawhi Leonard (Merged Threads)  (Read 121099 times)

Re: Kawhi Leonard (Merged Threads)
« Reply #585 on: June 27, 2018, 04:23:37 PM »

Offline Celts Fan 508

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54
I’m surprised that GS hasn’t gotten into the Kawhi sweepstakes, Leonard for Thompson  would work for both teams
2019 historical draft.  Pick 12

Tim Duncan, Oscar Robertson, Elgin Baylor, Scottie Pippen, Willis Reed, Mitch Richmond, Sam Jones, Dan Majerle, Bob Cousy, Rasheed Wallace, Shawn Kemp, Marcus Camby

« Reply #586 on: June 27, 2018, 04:45:32 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I’m surprised that GS hasn’t gotten into the Kawhi sweepstakes, Leonard for Thompson  would work for both teams
Kawhi needs the ball a lot more than Klay. Also the chemistry hit would be rough and Klay has so far shown every sign of wanting to sign his next contract with the Warriors, Kawhi has stated he wants to play for the Lakers.

« Reply #587 on: June 27, 2018, 05:11:35 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033

GS would hang up the phone. Klay is an All-Star talent already perfectly integrated into their championship squad. Kawhi is a rental with locker room and health issues. They are both flight risks post-trade.

In a vacuum Kawhi has a higher ceiling, but I can't see this happening.

« Reply #588 on: June 27, 2018, 05:29:27 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2953
  • On To Banner 18!
Honestly, in reference to the ESPN article thread I posted (now merged here), I'm actually shocked there isn't much buzz on PHI or HOU getting James. Those were like the "favorites" to land him yet we've only heard he doesn't like Houston and nothing about PHI lol.

I am personally not really surprised he is not interested in philly (and the odds of them getting him have steadily dropped on the markets since the season ended). Despite our resident phanatics here (or tazzanatics) they still have a lot to prove. I think they would be a lot more appealing next offseason if they can have a deeper postseason run than a gentleman's sweet in the second round and show something out of fultz.

Off topic, but did LarBrd33's "contract" end? Where's he been?  :P
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #589 on: June 27, 2018, 05:33:04 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Honestly, in reference to the ESPN article thread I posted (now merged here), I'm actually shocked there isn't much buzz on PHI or HOU getting James. Those were like the "favorites" to land him yet we've only heard he doesn't like Houston and nothing about PHI lol.

I am personally not really surprised he is not interested in philly (and the odds of them getting him have steadily dropped on the markets since the season ended). Despite our resident phanatics here (or tazzanatics) they still have a lot to prove. I think they would be a lot more appealing next offseason if they can have a deeper postseason run than a gentleman's sweet in the second round and show something out of fultz.

Off topic, but did LarBrd33's "contract" end? Where's he been?  :P

must have finished  his troll and returned to his 76 ers brethren.

« Reply #590 on: June 27, 2018, 06:00:08 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!
Whoa. I read this on Reddit but is it true that if the Spurs keep Kawhi and he doesn't report to the team for like the first 30 days the next season, they don't have to pay him? And if the Spurs convince the league that Kawhi is faking an injury to refuse to play, that he can even have his FA rights revoked?  :o

Remember, Kawhi's camp announced that he's healthy, so that argument would ultimately work in the Spurs favor. I think this was something that was also brought up last year involving Irving when he supposedly threatened the Cavaliers with "knee surgery" if they kept him.

If that's true, then the Spurs might actually have some leverage here. Also this would look really bad for Kawhi especially if he loses on $$$ and potentially FA rights as well. He'd also have missed like 1.5-2 years of playing time in the NBA.

« Reply #591 on: June 27, 2018, 06:05:09 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834

GS would hang up the phone. Klay is an All-Star talent already perfectly integrated into their championship squad. Kawhi is a rental with locker room and health issues. They are both flight risks post-trade.

Disagree, I think GSW would jump on that trade if salaries worked.  Isn't Klay a FA as well after this coming season?

« Reply #592 on: June 27, 2018, 06:08:10 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Whoa. I read this on Reddit but is it true that if the Spurs keep Kawhi and he doesn't report to the team for like the first 30 days the next season, they don't have to pay him? And if the Spurs convince the league that Kawhi is faking an injury to refuse to play, that he can even have his FA rights revoked?  :o

Remember, Kawhi's camp announced that he's healthy, so that argument would ultimately work in the Spurs favor. I think this was something that was also brought up last year involving Irving when he supposedly threatened the Cavaliers with "knee surgery" if they kept him.

If that's true, then the Spurs might actually have some leverage here. Also this would look really bad for Kawhi especially if he loses on $$$ and potentially FA rights as well. He'd also have missed like 1.5-2 years of playing time in the NBA.

Seriously doubt the league would revoke his rights as FA; KL would just report to the team, but refuse to play in games.  To the point they'd tell him not to show up.  I doubt it will  come down to this anyhow; one side will blink before it does.

« Reply #593 on: June 27, 2018, 06:11:42 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff

Disagree, I think GSW would jump on that trade if salaries worked.  Isn't Klay a FA as well after this coming season?

Yeah they both are... I just don't think you trade one of your Big 3 from an all-time great multiple championship team, for 1 year of a player with multiple question marks.

Shooting gets worse (Kawhi is good from outside, but he's no Klay), roster is less balanced at the guard spot, and you don't really know if Kawhi is healthy.

Roll back the clock 1-2 years and I think GS would have totally done it (but San Antonio wouldn't have).

« Reply #594 on: June 27, 2018, 06:12:18 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Yes, but he has suggested he doesn’t need a max contract next year to resign in Golden State, whereas a max still might not keep Kawhi.

« Reply #595 on: June 27, 2018, 06:21:55 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!

Seriously doubt the league would revoke his rights as FA; KL would just report to the team, but refuse to play in games.  To the point they'd tell him not to show up.  I doubt it will  come down to this anyhow; one side will blink before it does.

We'll see. This whole thing makes Kawhi look really bad though. Also you wonder, wherever he goes (BOS, PHI, LAL, LAC, etc.), will he even be the same Kawhi we've seen the last 3-4 years?

« Reply #596 on: June 27, 2018, 06:30:44 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
I wouldn't touch Kawhi, given all the stuff he's got going on in SA.

Next!
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #597 on: June 27, 2018, 06:38:59 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998

More like the Spurs would hang up. Klay Thompson would be nothing without Curry and Durant.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #598 on: June 27, 2018, 06:41:49 PM »

Online scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 176

More like the Spurs would hang up. Klay Thompson would be nothing without Curry and Durant.

Couldnt disagree more...klay thompson would be better then any other scenario I've heard for kawhi...guy is a baller and would be an all time great shooter anywhere he goes

« Reply #599 on: June 27, 2018, 06:51:07 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff

You mean like when GS averaged 70 wins the two years before Durant with Klay as their 2nd best player?

He's one of the best shooters of all time and a plus defender. C'mon now.