Poll

Do you think Kahwi Leonard comes to Boston?

Yes
14 (15.9%)
No
74 (84.1%)

Total Members Voted: 88

Voting closed: June 29, 2018, 11:30:27 PM

Author Topic: Kawhi Leonard (Merged Threads)  (Read 119391 times)

Re: Kawhi Leonard (Merged Threads)
« Reply #1050 on: July 12, 2018, 03:12:21 PM »

Offline Timdawgg

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 623
A winner is someone who recognizes his God-given talents, works his tail off to develop them into skills, and uses these skills to accomplish his goals.

Push yourself again and again. Don't give an inch until the final buzzer sounds.

Larry Bird

« Reply #1051 on: July 12, 2018, 03:19:35 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
Vegas now favors Raptors as his landing spot.
Sure is:

https://fastbreakdaily.com/2018/07/12/leonard-toronto/

Wow I was starting to think Philly could get him, but they have the same odds as us. Are they really going to roll the dice on getting him or butler next offseason with a million teams having cap space?

« Reply #1052 on: July 12, 2018, 03:34:03 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Sure is:

Wow I was starting to think Philly could get him, but they have the same odds as us. Are they really going to roll the dice on getting him or butler next offseason with a million teams having cap space?
Sometimes teams are better off not trading the farm for a player.  Sometimes they should.  I really don't know what Philly should do.  Adding Leonard makes them a true contender, and maybe even the favorite in the East, but if he leaves them then they have killed their real title chances at any point past next season.  So they are in a tough spot.  The Lakers though should absolutely pony up to get him otherwise they waste one of the few seasons of Lebron's prime that he has left.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #1053 on: July 12, 2018, 03:39:00 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
Sure is:

Sometimes teams are better off not trading the farm for a player.  Sometimes they should.  I really don't know what Philly should do.  Adding Leonard makes them a true contender, and maybe even the favorite in the East, but if he leaves them then they have killed their real title chances at any point past next season.  So they are in a tough spot.  The Lakers though should absolutely pony up to get him otherwise they waste one of the few seasons of Lebron's prime that he has left.

If the price is Covington and Saric and draft picks does that really ruin their future title chances? Can't they still sign the same guys next summer if they lose Leonard? They would still have the same space?

« Reply #1054 on: July 12, 2018, 03:43:17 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
every year passes Lewhiners drawing power diminishes.

Go ahead Kawhi ...sit out a year ,  lose millions ......is LA really worth that to join he cry baby

« Reply #1055 on: July 12, 2018, 03:47:30 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 306
Sure is:

If the price is Covington and Saric and draft picks does that really ruin their future title chances? Can't they still sign the same guys next summer if they lose Leonard? They would still have the same space?
No, they're not FA's next offseason. Though they'd have the space to sign a max player.

« Reply #1056 on: July 12, 2018, 03:49:34 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
If you were to have asked me a year ago today, who I thought was the one player in the league that just wanted to play basketball and could care less about any drama, I wouldn't have hesitated to say Kawhi. Fast forward to today, and he seems radioactive and completely untrustworthy. I can't remember the last top five player in any sport, devaluating themselves so quickly.

I think he knows/believes that he will receive a max contract next off season. It seems to me, that he is focused on doing anything he can to lower his trade value and decreasing the return for the Spurs. He must really have it out to hurt this Spurs team.

« Reply #1057 on: July 12, 2018, 04:13:56 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25635
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
If you were to have asked me a year ago today, who I thought was the one player in the league that just wanted to play basketball and could care less about any drama, I wouldn't have hesitated to say Kawhi. Fast forward to today, and he seems radioactive and completely untrustworthy. I can't remember the last top five player in any sport, devaluating themselves so quickly.

I think he knows/believes that he will receive a max contract next off season. It seems to me, that he is focused on doing anything he can to lower his trade value and decreasing the return for the Spurs. He must really have it out to hurt this Spurs team.

It’s just a terrible strategy, too. Why not sign the supermax, then demand the trade next off-season.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #1058 on: July 12, 2018, 04:17:25 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

It’s just a terrible strategy, too. Why not sign the supermax, then demand the trade next off-season.
Yeah, it should be interesting to see just how many tens of millions of dollars Kawhi cost himself by handling things the way he did.

« Reply #1059 on: July 12, 2018, 04:17:47 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

I am wondering what his health status is myself

« Reply #1060 on: July 12, 2018, 04:26:28 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512

I guess the only thing with a super max deal it makes it tougher to match salaries in a trade unless if you are trading with a team that has cap space.

« Reply #1061 on: July 12, 2018, 05:50:55 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

There is no indication the Spurs ever offered him supermax.  If they did, there'd have to be significant injury protection.  Assuming he qualifies, they can always offer him supermax next offseason. 

Kawhi to Siberia
« Reply #1062 on: July 18, 2018, 04:41:45 PM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
Imagine the Spurs sending him to a cold out of the country Eastern team and that has higher taxes.Gotta love the destination as far from California as you can get.New coach and a dismembered team.He can't sit out or he loses free agent status.
DeRozan made sure he doesn't trust management.
For a quiet guy, he is in the center of a toxic situation and risks the hatred of Raptors fans and the constant media attention-not the good kind.
Pops has got to be in hysterics.
The higher Canadian tax situation is the cherry on top.

Re: Kawhi to Siberia
« Reply #1063 on: July 18, 2018, 04:49:18 PM »

Online Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Boston is farther away from San Antonio than Toronto, and just as cold.  In basketball terms, the only thing that mattered was that the trading team was in the EC.

Re: Kawhi to Siberia
« Reply #1064 on: July 18, 2018, 04:55:40 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Spurs got a great return for a guy on an expiring contract who sat out more than a year and made it clear he not only wants out, but want to go to LA.

Derozan, Poeltl, and a protected 1st is an awesome return.