Author Topic: Grizzlies Believe Return To Playoffs/Possible trade #4 & Parsons(merged threads)  (Read 8607 times)

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
https://www.commercialappeal.com/story/sports/nba/grizzlies/2018/06/12/grizzlies-owner-robert-pera-expects-team-win-50-plus-games/695852002/

The Memphis Grizzlies have no plans to engage in a rebuild entering this offseason. The Grizzlies will keep Marc Gasol and Mike Conley in hopes of returning to the playoffs.

“Assuming Marc (Gasol) and Mike (Conley) come back healthy, I think we have a couple of surrounding pieces that are younger players that are going to make a positive impact,” Robert Pera said. “We’ll get another good player in this draft. I see no reason why we can’t return to being a 50-win plus team.”

Pera blamed the issues the Grizzlies faced last season upon injuries.

“In the NBA there are some things you can control; there are some things you can’t control,” Pera said. “There’s some luck and chance involved, too. This year injuries set us back. … If we’re healthy, I expect us to be very competitive.”

Pera plans on taking a more active role as owner moving forward.

“I’d like to put my stamp on the team more now that the ownership situation is resolved,” Pera said. “I’d like to apply some of the skills that made my company, Ubiquiti, successful. I also realize it’s a little bit different. With my company, I can make all the decisions on the long-term (vision). I can be kind of a dictator. With the team, there’s more elements than just the long-term picture. You have to have some transparency with the fans. … How you handle the media and the fans are almost as important as the long-term goals. It took me some time to find my bearings the last several years.”
« Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 05:40:09 AM by nickagneta »

Re: Grizzlies Believe They Can Return To Playoffs In 18-19
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2018, 01:51:46 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
https://www.commercialappeal.com/story/sports/nba/grizzlies/2018/06/12/grizzlies-owner-robert-pera-expects-team-win-50-plus-games/695852002/

The Memphis Grizzlies have no plans to engage in a rebuild entering this offseason. The Grizzlies will keep Marc Gasol and Mike Conley in hopes of returning to the playoffs.

“Assuming Marc (Gasol) and Mike (Conley) come back healthy, I think we have a couple of surrounding pieces that are younger players that are going to make a positive impact,” Robert Pera said. “We’ll get another good player in this draft. I see no reason why we can’t return to being a 50-win plus team.”

Pera blamed the issues the Grizzlies faced last season upon injuries.

“In the NBA there are some things you can control; there are some things you can’t control,” Pera said. “There’s some luck and chance involved, too. This year injuries set us back. … If we’re healthy, I expect us to be very competitive.”

Pera plans on taking a more active role as owner moving forward.

“I’d like to put my stamp on the team more now that the ownership situation is resolved,” Pera said. “I’d like to apply some of the skills that made my company, Ubiquiti, successful. I also realize it’s a little bit different. With my company, I can make all the decisions on the long-term (vision). I can be kind of a dictator. With the team, there’s more elements than just the long-term picture. You have to have some transparency with the fans. … How you handle the media and the fans are almost as important as the long-term goals. It took me some time to find my bearings the last several years.”

I think they can compete for the playoffs, 50 wins seems a little ridiculous (though it took 47 to get in last year). The bottom of the west is so competitive they could be quite good and still miss out. If this is their goal, shouldn't they trade their draft pick for a win now player (it is a weird goal)

Tough to see how who they can knock out also..

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2018, 02:06:51 AM »

Offline nostar

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
Not seeing it. Gasol took a step back defensively last year. Conley isn't a superstar and whoever they get at 4 probably isn't going to be an immediate contributor (maybe Doncic). As a small market they need to bottom out for stars under years of team control.

I hope they do complete this year so their pick rolls over to 2020 for us. Less protection and hopefully a better draft class when both Gasol and Conley are aging out.

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2018, 02:20:53 AM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
Conley, Gasol, JaMychal Green and (potential) instant impact from someone like Doncic, Jaren Jackson or Marvin Bagley isn't a bad start, but they'll still need guys like Ben McLemore and Wayne Selden to make serious contributions if they want to sniff the playoffs in the west. That's a lot of IFs.

Of course it's a bit of a middling waste... the window is shut on coming out of the west with Conley and Gasol and $24M worth of Chandler Parsons' corpse.

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2018, 02:29:09 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
I don't see it. Who are they pushing out of the playoffs? Denver had 46 wins and didn't make the playoffs and I don't think the Grizz will be as good as Denver this year. I think the Grizz end up at the back of the lotto at like 12.

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2018, 02:52:26 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
Let's hope they carry that belief still at the trade deadline. Sooo frustrating that we will have potentially 4 first round picks in (arguably - feel free to argue) the weakest draft since 2013..
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2018, 03:12:20 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Let's hope they carry that belief still at the trade deadline. Sooo frustrating that we will have potentially 4 first round picks in (arguably - feel free to argue) the weakest draft since 2013..
who decided it was a weak draft? And how did that strong draft of 2014 work out? Wiggins , parker, exum, randle vonleh stauskas, mcdermott, payton? Where are these people ?

http://slammagazine.wikia.com/wiki/SLAM_182?file=SLAM182.jpg
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 03:27:38 AM by CelticsElite »

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2018, 03:27:11 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Doubtful
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2018, 06:04:46 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Not seeing it. Gasol took a step back defensively last year. Conley isn't a superstar and whoever they get at 4 probably isn't going to be an immediate contributor (maybe Doncic). As a small market they need to bottom out for stars under years of team control.

I hope they do complete this year so their pick rolls over to 2020 for us. Less protection and hopefully a better draft class when both Gasol and Conley are aging out.
Well, at least there was one piece of useful information in this thread.

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2018, 06:15:29 AM »

Offline Rakulp

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 78
Denial isn't just a river in....ah heck, forget it...too easy.

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2018, 06:42:48 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
I believe I can fly
I believe I can touch the sky
I think about it every night and day (Night and day)
Spread my wings and fly away
I believe I can soar
I see me running through that open door
I believe I can fly
I believe I can fly
I believe I can fly hoo

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2018, 07:00:58 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
Tyreke Evans was a big part of their team last year.  It will be interesting to see if he returns.

I hope they are bottom 8 in the league so that pick owed to us rolls over to next year.

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2018, 07:06:14 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
This is what we call trying to sell season tickets.  No more, no less.

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2018, 07:51:42 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
who decided it was a weak draft? And how did that strong draft of 2014 work out? Wiggins , parker, exum, randle vonleh stauskas, mcdermott, payton? Where are these people ?

I think that was always billed as a top heavy draft. I forget though.. but yeah fine, drafts can fail to live up to/exceed the hype...
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2018, 08:10:23 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

I think that was always billed as a top heavy draft. I forget though.. but yeah fine, drafts can fail to live up to/exceed the hype...
It was Wiggins, Parker, and Embiid and then a bunch of mid tier at best prospects.  Parker keeps blowing out his knees.  Embiid obviously looks like a real star.  Wiggins, the supposed good defender but poor offensive player, has been the exact opposite of what he was projected (which is just very strange). 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip