Author Topic: Grizzlies Believe Return To Playoffs/Possible trade #4 & Parsons(merged threads)  (Read 8616 times)

Re: Grizzlies Believe They Can Return To Playoffs In 18-19
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2018, 04:07:06 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Meanwhile, there’s a report from The Athletic that the Grizzlies would give up #4 to dump Chandler Parsons (owed $49 million over two years).  This would give them ~$20 million in cap space if they found a taker, but at a heavy cost.

I find it interesting from the Memphis angle, but also the Lakers angle and how difficult it will be to move Luol Deng ($37 million over two years).

Also, Chandler Parsons agent is amazing.

What? They would give up the 4th pick to get rid of Parsons? That's a terrible move.

Maybe they use his contract to balance a deal for a superstar on a team that is going into rebuild mode?

No, I don’t think that’s the play here.  I’ve seen that Deng’s deal, which is $6 million less per year, should cost the Lakers 2 1sts to move.  This pricing seems to be in the same vein.  Maybe they could get a late 1st back, but definitely not a star player.

Lakers situation is different. They want to bring in FA. Grizzlies are a small market team with aging stars, and no clear focus on contending or rebuilding. They should just wait out Parsons contract, and pray he gains some semblance of value as a expiring contract.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2018, 04:12:35 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Meanwhile, there’s a report from The Athletic that the Grizzlies would give up #4 to dump Chandler Parsons (owed $49 million over two years).  This would give them ~$20 million in cap space if they found a taker, but at a heavy cost.

I find it interesting from the Memphis angle, but also the Lakers angle and how difficult it will be to move Luol Deng ($37 million over two years).

What? They would give up the 4th pick to get rid of Parsons? That's a terrible move.

Maybe they use his contract to balance a deal for a superstar on a team that is going into rebuild mode?

No, I don’t think that’s the play here.  I’ve seen that Deng’s deal, which is $6 million less per year, should cost the Lakers 2 1sts to move.  This pricing seems to be in the same vein.  Maybe they could get a late 1st back, but definitely not a star player.

Lakers situation is different. They want to bring in FA. Grizzlies are a small market team with aging stars, and no clear focus on contending or rebuilding. They should just wait out Parsons contract, and pray he gains some semblance of value as a expiring contract.

I don’t disagree.  I’m just saying I don’t think Parsons and #4 brings back a valuable player.

« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2018, 04:14:44 PM »

Offline MattyIce

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 740
z

« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2018, 04:18:39 PM »

Offline MattyIce

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 740

I don’t disagree.  I’m just saying I don’t think Parsons and #4 brings back a valuable player.

if lebron leaves could they get Love?

« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2018, 04:25:05 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

the problem is, Cleveland would almost certainly want the pick before the draft, which means they would have to make that move before the draft.  Now maybe if James opts in and tells them he wants to be traded, they might have enough time to do that, but I'm not sure the Cavs would want Parsons, 4 for Love as they have talked about not immediately tanking if James leaves (since they have such high salary constraints next year anyway). 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2018, 04:28:37 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Chris Wallace.... not surprised!  ::)

« Reply #36 on: June 14, 2018, 04:36:18 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150

You have to give something to unload Parsons at this point.

« Reply #37 on: June 14, 2018, 05:22:13 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
I don’t think there is any real shot of them making the playoffs.  They will get Conley back, but there is a great chance they lose Evans who averaged 19.4 PPG.  Gasol is creeping up in age at 33.

The question for me is will they be bad enough to remain in the bottom 8 teams in the league.  They will be competing with the Mavs, Kings, Lakers (if they strike out in FA), Suns, Hawks, Bulls, Nets, Magic, Knicks (with Porzingas hurt), maybe Cavs if Lebron leaves and Love is then traded, maybe teams like the Clippers, Jazz, Pistons, or Hornets take a step back.

I realize I just mentioned almost half the league haha so it’s going to be interesting to see what happens.

« Reply #38 on: June 14, 2018, 06:43:12 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
I posted this in another thread, but does anyone think the Clippers are the dark horse to get the 4th pick?

I have a feeling the Clippers will package some of their picks to move up... Would the Clippers and Grizzlies bite on the 4th pick for Parsons in exchange for Tobias Harris and Patrick Beverly and picks #12 and #13?

It would suck to eat Parsons contract, but if they are out of the running for the LeBron sweepstakes, and would allow them to rebuild considering DeAndre Jordan isn't going to sign with that team. It gives them the potential to draft a franchise player, and they could re-sign Rivers/Bradley as a young core to move forward with.

Grizzlies do it, because it gives them flexbility to upgrade positions based on 12/13th pick along with getting Beverly a defensive minded PG for backup, or to start alongside with Conley, and Harris could be slotted at their forward spot.

http://tradenba.com/trades/BJJtwY6gm
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #39 on: June 14, 2018, 06:47:12 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I posted this in another thread, but does anyone think the Clippers are the dark horse to get the 4th pick?

I have a feeling the Clippers will package some of their picks to move up... Would the Clippers and Grizzlies bite on the 4th pick for Parsons in exchange for Tobias Harris and Patrick Beverly and picks #12 and #13?

It would suck to eat Parsons contract, but if they are out of the running for the LeBron sweepstakes, and would allow them to rebuild considering DeAndre Jordan isn't going to sign with that team. It gives them the potential to draft a franchise player, and they could re-sign Rivers/Bradley as a young core to move forward with.

Grizzlies do it, because it gives them flexbility to upgrade positions based on 12/13th pick along with getting Beverly a defensive minded PG for backup, or to start alongside with Conley, and Harris could be slotted at their forward spot.

http://tradenba.com/trades/BJJtwY6gm

I replied in the other trade that such a deal would be a coup for Memphis.

« Reply #40 on: June 14, 2018, 07:14:31 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Maybe they gettn Lebron ?  :)

« Reply #41 on: June 14, 2018, 08:25:35 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741

That's an interesting idea. If Lebron leaves, Cleveland couldn't do better than the #4 pick for love and I don't think they'd care about taking on money because they would be essentially taking the next two years off anyway. Offload what money you can and let the rest of the big contracts run their course while you develop #4, #8, and whatever players you get from losing a bunch in the next two summers.

For Memphis, they get a player in his prime to give Gasol and Conley one more run. They still need wings but maybe Dillon Brooks and Andrew Harrison are ready for more.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #42 on: June 14, 2018, 08:53:06 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
If Doncic falls in their lap as projected, and Conley and Gasoline are healthy, I could see them competing for a playoff spot.

« Reply #43 on: June 14, 2018, 08:56:50 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
If Doncic falls in their lap as projected, and Conley and Gasoline are healthy, I could see them competing for a playoff spot.
He would be awesome in between Conley and Gasol. Especially if they can bring Reke back
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #44 on: June 14, 2018, 10:46:11 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 306
Possible but unlikely. They have to jump over a lot of teams to make the playoffs. They're supposedly offering the pick up in an attempt to shed Parsons' contract. One rumor was for McCollum.

I can see this pick not being as high as we would like, but I have a tough time seeing them make the playoffs. Gasol's in decline and players don't usually get better at 33.