Author Topic: Assuming C's want to avoid tax in 2018-2019, one of these three will be gone....  (Read 3347 times)

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Seems we have more room than I thought (around 13 mil).  I actually think the most likely scenario is smart signing the qualifying offer (or whatever it's called).  If that happens, seems like we would/might have room for all three guys.

If that happens, doesn't he then become an UFA after that, and we relinquish his Bird rights?

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Seems we have more room than I thought (around 13 mil).  I actually think the most likely scenario is smart signing the qualifying offer (or whatever it's called).  If that happens, seems like we would/might have room for all three guys.

If that happens, doesn't he then become an UFA after that, and we relinquish his Bird rights?

UFA but we have Bird rights.

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked

EDIT: UFA but still, if we think it’s headed in that direction, with the apparent value at guard at #27, we should consider drafting a guy who might be able to play 10-15 mpg the year after next, if we keep #27.

I think the excellent draft workout thread reflects the value at guard, based on who has worked out. Lots of guards and some wings as well, with a select few bigs.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 06:37:50 PM by smokeablount »
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

While it is possible Smart takes the QO, it would be somewhat surprising if Baynes were still on the market by the time he made that decision.

Offline otherdave

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 123
  • takes.....MAKES!!!!

While it is possible Smart takes the QO, it would be somewhat surprising if Baynes were still on the market by the time he made that decision.

Exactly Salty - the timing of all of this July/August activity is going to be tricky. Let's say C's sign J Bird early on and Barnes decides fairly early that he will come back for a reasonable amount.  If C's know the financial parameters of moving Morris (but deal is on hold), then they also know the max amount they can afford to pay Smart (assuming that they don't what to pay tax).  The challenge/concern is that other teams will be able to calculate this theoretical amount as well, and some may offer just a little more, beyond what C's can offer.

Although probably no fireworks this summer, it will be an intriguing one none the less.  :)

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533

Not Sure why Smart would preclude them from signing Baynes. Cs are limited to what they can offer Baynes. They can basiclly offer him around 5.3 mil or the MLE basically. Realistically, how much do you think teams are going to spend on someone who plays like 20 mins a gane and is 32? Unless some dumb team like Philly strikes out on all its FA targets and decides to give a contract like they did to Reddick.

Also, you have to figure there has to be some sort of general malaise until LeBron makes a decision.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 08:40:04 PM by PAOBoston »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
M Smart
A Baynes
M Morris

unless Smart agrees to play for the qualifying offer of $6,053,719 (unlikely).

This assumes that T Rozier will at least start the year in Boston, and that G Monroe is gone.

Of the three, I would like to see Mook get dealt for a future draft pick with little or no money coming back.

The resolution of Smart's RFA status is going to really have a domino effect on the composition of the 2nd unit.
Not necessarily.

Next season Rozier has a cap hold of $3,050,389.

#13 (Clippers) has a cap hold of $3,020,280.

If we trade Rozier straight up for #13 (or lower) we 'll be saving money.

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
Easily I want Marcus Morris gone.

Loved his high-scoring offense, but sometimes makes a lot of boneheaded plays. Still won't forget how he left Jodie Meeks wide open for that corner 3 to send a game to OT, and he went to go defend a meaningless dunk instead.

Also, if LeBron goes west no need for the "LeBron stopper" anymore.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
Morris. His talent level is pretty high for the price, but he's just not a great fit with Hayward + Tatum + Brown + Smart on the roster. His defense on LeBron was commendable at times but it's also not clear how much it would benefit us with all of those guys available (+ Semi?).

In addition, he won't be happy with a smaller role, is the only real ball-stopper on our roster, and is a bit of a head case.

In a vacuum he's still a pretty good player for $5M/year coming off the bench, but I think the Cs would have no problem moving on.

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Easily I want Marcus Morris gone.

Loved his high-scoring offense, but sometimes makes a lot of boneheaded plays. Still won't forget how he left Jodie Meeks wide open for that corner 3 to send a game to OT, and he went to go defend a meaningless dunk instead.

Also, if LeBron goes west no need for the "LeBron stopper" anymore.
Dang, I’d forgotten about that horrible defensive play
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

Offline bogg

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 51
M Smart
A Baynes
M Morris

unless Smart agrees to play for the qualifying offer of $6,053,719 (unlikely).

This assumes that T Rozier will at least start the year in Boston, and that G Monroe is gone.

Of the three, I would like to see Mook get dealt for a future draft pick with little or no money coming back.

The resolution of Smart's RFA status is going to really have a domino effect on the composition of the 2nd unit.

If anything I think Smart coming back on the QO is the most likely scenario there is for his summer. There just isn't a lot of money floating around out there and there are a number of other players who are bigger headline guys/do more for a bad team. I think Smart's going to have a very hard time getting an offer sheet for more than the non-tax mid-level, which isn't what he's looking for at all, and Ainge isn't going to start him at $14-15 million just because. I wouldn't be surprised to see all three of those guys back on the roster next season all making basically between $5-6 million per.

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I already have Morris being moved in my mind. Question is do you get a high 2nd or low first?

I also expect Yab and Nader to be moved. They are too limited and their ceilings are 10th men off the bench. I'd try to get future 2nd rounders for them.

That would create some nice wiggle room with the cap.