Author Topic: Assuming C's want to avoid tax in 2018-2019, one of these three will be gone....  (Read 3346 times)

Online otherdave

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 123
  • takes.....MAKES!!!!
M Smart
A Baynes
M Morris

unless Smart agrees to play for the qualifying offer of $6,053,719 (unlikely).

This assumes that T Rozier will at least start the year in Boston, and that G Monroe is gone.

Of the three, I would like to see Mook get dealt for a future draft pick with little or no money coming back.

The resolution of Smart's RFA status is going to really have a domino effect on the composition of the 2nd unit.

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
I think Morris is gone.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
I wonder if the sixers are willing to pay baynes more than we can afford

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
This is most likely the case, although there’s an outside shot that the free agent market completely craters for the mid-level guys this summer.  Including the Celtics, about 15 teams are in the tax or very well could be if they use their MLE.  In one scenario, Smart might sign for $10 million, and Baynes might not even get the MLE because no one wants to use it, allowing the Celtics to sign him back for about what he got paid last season.  (They would likely need to pay cash to someone to take on Nader in February, but that’s not likely to be difficult regardless of what happens this summer).

I don’t think this is likely — I’d put th odds no higher than 10% — but with the luxury tax concerns, and also a number of teams trying to keep their books clean for next summer’s free agency, it isn’t completely impossible.

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
This is most likely the case, although there’s an outside shot that the free agent market completely craters for the mid-level guys this summer.  Including the Celtics, about 15 teams are in the tax or very well could be if they use their MLE.  In one scenario, Smart might sign for $10 million, and Baynes might not even get the MLE because no one wants to use it, allowing the Celtics to sign him back for about what he got paid last season.  (They would likely need to pay cash to someone to take on Nader in February, but that’s not likely to be difficult regardless of what happens this summer).

I don’t think this is likely — I’d put th odds no higher than 10% — but with the luxury tax concerns, and also a number of teams trying to keep their books clean for next summer’s free agency, it isn’t completely impossible.

How close are we to the projected tax line? How much would selling our pick help?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

How close are we to the projected tax line? How much would selling our pick help?

Selling the pick wouldn’t likely help too much, although moving back from late round 1 to early round 2 would be interesting.  Assuming we keep it, and sign Bird to the rookie minimum, we’d be a shade over $13 million from the line with 13 players under contract.  So Smart at $10 million and Baynes at $4.4 would put us about Nader’s salary over the tax with 15 players, and we’d have until the trade deadline to dump him (or Yabusele if he doesn’t show enough in year 2).

I don’t think it likely that this scenario will occur — it’s not worth moving #27 to save a few hundred thousand (assuming you want someone else on the roster).
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 04:45:51 PM by saltlover »

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • The voice of reason
How is Morris even an option? He has guaranteed salary next season.

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

As the OP says, he’s hoping for a trade, which is not unrealistic.

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

As the OP says, he’s hoping for a trade, which is not unrealistic.

Yeah, I would expect that he’d be easy to move, especially if we weren’t seeking a return.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline Diggles

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 46
I'm thinking ~   

We let Baynes walk ~  ):   

We sign and trade Smart for $14,000 million and package him with the #27 for the Center in Orlando and a future 1st round pick.   

Kyrie           Rozier
Hayward    Brown
Tatum        Semi
AL               Yabba daba do
N. V           Thesis

Diggles

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
I'm thinking ~   

We let Baynes walk ~  ):   

We sign and trade Smart for $14,000 million and package him with the #27 for the Center in Orlando and a future 1st round pick.   

Kyrie           Rozier
Hayward    Brown
Tatum        Semi
N. V           Thesis

I don't get why people like Nikola so much. I get that he's a great offensive center that can rebound, and has averaged 3.4 APG, and hit 64 of his 3's this year... But he's still a defensive liability who would get absolutely lost on PnR. Super slow footed too, would get torn up in transition defense.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Smart = gone! buh bye!

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
I'm thinking ~   

We let Baynes walk ~  ):   

Kyrie           Rozier
Hayward    Brown
Tatum        Semi
N. V           Thesis

I don't get why people like Nikola so much. I get that he's a great offensive center that can rebound, and has averaged 3.4 APG, and hit 64 of his 3's this year... But he's still a defensive liability who would get absolutely lost on PnR. Super slow footed too, would get torn up in transition defense.

It’s moot because Smart isn’t going to get signed to the $24 million a year contract it would take to get Vucevic in this deal.  We save the Vucevic debates for next year when he’s a free agent.

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked
Smart = gone! buh bye!

We need Baynes, or someone to replace him, as we'll likely have to deal with Embiid again. Baynes for 120% of this year's salary or less is worth it for his D on Embiid alone, plus other bigs who don't have Giannis-like arms. He also fit nicely in a constantly changing starting lineup.

We could still use Smart. He's proven to be valuable, he's still quite young, and I thought his offense took a bit of a step up toward the end of the season. I wouldn't pay him $13+ million, but I'd pay him up to a number where we'd have no problem trading him later and getting something of value.

Morris is the odd man out to me. We have Hayward, Tatum and Brown as wings, plus Smart plays wing in some lineups and Al takes up most of the minutes at big that Morris might get. In a year, Morris is gone anyway after his bargain $5m per year deal ends. 

I'd try to flip Morris for two 2nds, since teams like to protect them, but I might take one.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 06:05:12 PM by smokeablount »
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Seems we have more room than I thought (around 13 mil).  I actually think the most likely scenario is smart signing the qualifying offer (or whatever it's called).  If that happens, seems like we would/might have room for all three guys.