Author Topic: Alex Len  (Read 2876 times)

Re: Alex Len
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2018, 11:59:26 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I think Alex Len could be a valuable piece, but I think his feel for the game is absolute garbage, and I haven't seen it improve. He lacks confidence, he has been jerked around by his coaches since year 1. I think if they'd never signed Tyson Chandler the Suns would have extended Len. But they didn't. Cuz they're the Suns.

On paper he could be an elite defensive rebounder, an agile and willing defender, and at worst a rim runner, but he's got some touch too.

But in practice he's wildly inconsistent when you give him any leash and even his motor, which was his calling card early, doesn't look that great. Alan Williams basically did everything Len does better a year ago and basically forced him from the rotation.

Len played 20 minutes a game in 69 games, similar to his career averages. He wasn’t forced from the rotation by anyone — he was still in it.

I do agree he’s been jerked around and needs better coaching.  He seems like the type of guy who could use a 1-2 year Brad Stevens reclamation effort.

While I would prefer targeting Ben Lammers, not to mention Daniel Ochefu (again ;D), as to what kind of offer would you make for the guy? We'll call it the...Len-Lease (Contr)act ;) ::) ;D *groan*.

I can’t tell if you’re serious.

About what?
Probably about preferring guys who are G-League talents over a guy who has proven that he’s at worst an NBA backup big man
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2018, 12:35:47 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
I think Alex Len could be a valuable piece, but I think his feel for the game is absolute garbage, and I haven't seen it improve. He lacks confidence, he has been jerked around by his coaches since year 1. I think if they'd never signed Tyson Chandler the Suns would have extended Len. But they didn't. Cuz they're the Suns.

On paper he could be an elite defensive rebounder, an agile and willing defender, and at worst a rim runner, but he's got some touch too.

But in practice he's wildly inconsistent when you give him any leash and even his motor, which was his calling card early, doesn't look that great. Alan Williams basically did everything Len does better a year ago and basically forced him from the rotation.

Len played 20 minutes a game in 69 games, similar to his career averages. He wasn’t forced from the rotation by anyone — he was still in it.

I do agree he’s been jerked around and needs better coaching.  He seems like the type of guy who could use a 1-2 year Brad Stevens reclamation effort.

While I would prefer targeting Ben Lammers, not to mention Daniel Ochefu (again ;D), as to what kind of offer would you make for the guy? We'll call it the...Len-Lease (Contr)act ;) ::) ;D *groan*.

About what?
Probably about preferring guys who are G-League talents over a guy who has proven that he’s at worst an NBA backup big man

That's what I figured, but I still believe that both those guys can play in the NBA, even though Lammers just finished his senior year at Georgia Tech ;).

« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2018, 12:40:47 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

About what?

That's what I figured, but I still believe that both those guys can play in the NBA, even though Lammers just finished his senior year at Georgia Tech ;).
Yeah, but at this stage I don't think the team needs any guys who may or may not make it as a serviceable NBA player. If we lose Baynes, we want a guy who can come in and give us 6-8 points and 6-8 rebounds. Alex Len is definitely a guy who can do that
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2018, 01:09:28 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji

About what?

Yeah, but at this stage I don't think the team needs any guys who may or may not make it as a serviceable NBA player. If we lose Baynes, we want a guy who can come in and give us 6-8 points and 6-8 rebounds. Alex Len is definitely a guy who can do that

I understand. It's just that I've never understood the fascination with Len :-\. Like, he's okay, I guess, but nothing about him really stands out, imo. Plus, no man bun = do not want ::).

Edit: forgot to mention as to how Lammers and Ochefu are excellent passers, if that helps :-\.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 01:53:52 AM by Beat LA »

« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2018, 01:50:16 AM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033

About what?

I understand. It's just that I've never understood the fascination with Len :-\. Like, he's okay, I guess, but nothing about him really stands out, imo. Plus, no man bun = do not want ::).

Context. We're talking about him as a cheap rotation big, not a #5 pick. 8.5/7.5 in 20 minutes with good defense is at least around the level of a Baynes, Monroe or Theis.

« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2018, 01:55:20 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji

About what?

Context. We're talking about him as a cheap rotation big, not a #5 pick. 8.5/7.5 in 20 minutes with good defense is at least around the level of a Baynes, Monroe or Theis.

Yeah, I know. Still doesn't change anything for me, however :-\.