Author Topic: Danny made offer for Kawhi/Woj article on SAS and Kawhi(Merged Topics)  (Read 9115 times)

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
The following is an excerpt from an article by Adrian Wojnarowski:

The Boston Celtics made a trade offer to San Antonio before the February deadline, but the Spurs turned it down --- and never made a counterproposal, league sources said. San Antonio wasn't willing to discuss deals for Leonard in February. So far this spring, the Spurs remain resistant to trades.

If reconciliation talks don't go well with Leonard, San Antonio has time to reconsider that stance. For example, Boston has the most appealing assets: starry young players and Sacramento's No. 1-protected 2019 first-round pick.

Only four months since the trade deadline, the Celtics find themselves in a different organizational space. GM Danny Ainge can stay on course with forwards Jayson Tatum and Jaylen Brown on rookie contracts, sparing Boston the financial pressure of re-signing two maximum-contract players with injury histories -- Kyrie Irving and Leonard -- in 2019.

Boston could still consider Leonard on a distressed, discounted deal -- the way it secured Irving last summer -- but that has become a far less likely scenario than keeping its young core.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/23770525/what-next-kawhi-leonard-san-antonio-spurs-nba-free-agency-trades
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 02:19:03 PM by nickagneta »

Re: Danny made offer for Kawhi before February trade deadline
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2018, 08:53:15 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I wonder for who.... Brown? Tatum?

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2018, 08:56:16 AM »

Offline blackbird

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 64
A couple of thoughts: this must mean that Ainge doesn't believe that Leonard is injured, but then wouldn't that make him a head case?

And what could the offer be? Is Brown and Morris enough to match salaries? I assume all the future picks were on the table too. This was also during Tatum's swoon, so was he offered?

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2018, 09:26:33 AM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
A couple of thoughts: this must mean that Ainge doesn't believe that Leonard is injured, but then wouldn't that make him a head case?

And what could the offer be? Is Brown and Morris enough to match salaries? I assume all the future picks were on the table too. This was also during Tatum's swoon, so was he offered?
I think it's more of Leonard exercising his power to secure a super max deal. He's going to get it by basically not playing last year. SA will offer it to him., he will accept it, and they will move forward. I don't think SA ever and would consider a deal for him.its nearly impossible to replace a top 5 player. They know that, especially in a small market like SA.

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2018, 09:34:14 AM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 638
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Glad it didn’t happen

New Woj Article on SAS and Kawhi
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2018, 09:49:56 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/23770525/what-next-kawhi-leonard-san-antonio-spurs-nba-free-agency-trades

Most interesting bit for us is that the C's made an offer at the deadline for him.

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2018, 10:16:38 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!

Hypothetically, Brown + Morris + Rozier + Nader could get it done. Nader is solely just there to match salaries.  Might sound like a lot but if Kawhi is relatively healthy and the C's ensure they keep Smart, then that's a deadly team next year. Would absolutely suck to lose Jaylen though, but either way I doubt it happens, b/c Kawhi stays in San Antonio and signs the super-max.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Re: New Woj Article on SAS and Kawhi
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2018, 10:19:26 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
TP for the article.

Is it just me, or is Woj and ESPN literally just trying to create tension within the Spurs. We start hearing that things are getting better for them and then Woj posts this. This comment by a reader under ESPN caught my eye and sort of emphasizes my thoughts:

Amazing, absolutely amazing. In this entire piece, Adrian cites exactly one source, one time: a “Spurs alum”. And that’s exactly how this whole story has run. The only quotes from either the Spurs or Leonard himself say that he is simply trying to get healthy, it’s frustrating that it’s taking so long, and that the plan is for him to re-sign with the Spurs. Both sides have said exactly that. Yet ESPN and Woj have spun this epic drama around it. Just... amazing.

Jalen Rose will also look like a fool once Kawhi signs that super-max extension lol.

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2018, 10:33:59 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
TP for the article.

Is it just me, or is Woj and ESPN literally just trying to create tension within the Spurs. We start hearing that things are getting better for them and then Woj posts this. This comment by a reader under ESPN caught my eye and sort of emphasizes my thoughts:
I think its just you. ESPN has multiple people who are reliable talking about this, Woj/Lowe/etc.

Other outlets have also caught the tension, hell you could see the tension if you listened to Pop talk about Kawhi's "camp" and what Tony/Manu said in various interviews.

The tension is real, there is a reason many well sourced NBA reporters think he might end up in LA as a Laker or Clipper if things don't improve in SA.

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2018, 10:39:32 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
TP for the article.

I think its just you. ESPN has multiple people who are reliable talking about this, Woj/Lowe/etc.

Other outlets have also caught the tension, hell you could see the tension if you listened to Pop talk about Kawhi's "camp" and what Tony/Manu said in various interviews.

The tension is real, there is a reason many well sourced NBA reporters think he might end up in LA as a Laker or Clipper if things don't improve in SA.

I get that, but my point is right now, or at least for the past week, numerous sites and reporters are posting/tweeting that Kawhi and Pop are set to meet, that they may be at a "healing stage" now, and that it's becoming unlikely Kawhi gets dealt.

Then Woj posts this article today and ESPN posts a "7 trades we'd like to see for Kawhi" article too. Kind of sounds like an attempt at some sabotage. Idk, just how I see it.

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2018, 10:47:03 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

Hypothetically, Brown + Morris + Rozier + Nader could get it done. Nader is solely just there to match salaries.  Might sound like a lot but if Kawhi is relatively healthy and the C's ensure they keep Smart, then that's a deadly team next year. Would absolutely suck to lose Jaylen though, but either way I doubt it happens, b/c Kawhi stays in San Antonio and signs the super-max.

On the contrary, doesn't sound like enough, especially if we think we can re-sign him.

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2018, 10:53:29 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

On the contrary, doesn't sound like enough, especially if we think we can re-sign him.

Maybe, but I think Tatum is untouchable in a Kawhi-trade, and frankly I think it's pointless trading Kyrie in a package for Kawhi (are we really improving a ton with that kind of trade?). Another possibility is doing a Smart S&T kind of deal at 14M/Year (counts as 7M in the trade), and that + Brown + Morris easily gets it done. Maybe SAS sees the defense and grit and thinks Smart could fit their team well (along with Murray and others) going forward.

But yeah it's unlikely any team makes a Godfather offer for Kawhi unless LAL gives up BOTH Ingram + Kuzma (and probably Hart, too). And no, Fultz + Saric in a package is NOT a "King's ransom" kind of offer lol.

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2018, 10:54:58 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199

You're assuming this rumour is true. More likely, DA called about Kawhi without offering a structured deal.

As I'm sure Woj is only too aware, DA isn't going to come out and deny this so he's on pretty safe ground speculating. Seen it all before..

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2018, 11:04:40 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

or Maybe it was Smart

I doubt Danny included either of Brown or Tatum in the initial proposal (more you think about it)

But likely something like the 2019 kings pick ,  2019 clips 1st, 2019 memphis 1st,  Smart, Rozier, Morris

Was waiting to hear back with a counter offer and didn't get one (which then Danny perhaps throws in Brown to seal the deal)

IF the Spurs are really interested in trading Leonard (relationship can't be repaired) then you can bet the Spurs will callback the Celtics and ask for more.  But Danny now might just hang up the phone , unless they take the initial like offer (no Brown, Tatum)

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2018, 11:46:24 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
I think its pretty simple that going into the meeting both sides have interest in setting it up for a recovery of the relationship. Kahwi wants the super-max and the Spurs want a MVP caliber player fully engaged and on board with their team.

No tension has been taken care of yet. The actual meeting has to happen and work out.