Poll

What level of women's team could a powerhouse boy's high school team beat?

Oak Hill could beat the top women's Olympic Team
3 (30%)
Oak Hill could beat the WNBA All Stars even if the All Stars had a month to practice
0 (0%)
Oak Hill could maybe beat a WNBA team, but not much better.
1 (10%)
Oak Hill could beat the UConn women, but not much better.
2 (20%)
Virtually any top 25 boys team could beat one (or more) of these options.
4 (40%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Author Topic: What level of women's team could a powerhouse boy's high school team beat?  (Read 6525 times)

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I generally consider Oak Hill Academy the premiere boys high school team in the country. On the radio the other day they said the UConn women couldn't beat a boy's high school team.  I wanted to get the consensus on that.

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I think a really high level high school team could take on almost any women's team, besides maybe an All-WNBA team or something.

I remember when I was younger (high school), I played a few pick-up games with Liz Cambage (she's sort of a friend of a friend, and a couple of years my elder).
Now she's certainly talented, but she was one of the biggest and most physically imposing female basketballers in her prime. Despite being 3 or 4 inches taller than me, I was able to pretty easily defend her in the post.
And I'm not trying to say I'm anything to write home - in fact, basically the opposite. I'm not a good basketballer by any measure really.

But what I'm trying to say is that the physical differences between men and women are just too much to overcome, even late in puberty. Get a guy like Zion Williamson defended by someone like Maya Moore, and she's really got no hope of stopping him. The strength and length of men would be too much for almost any women's team to handle, IMO
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
I just had a hard time imagining a 16 year old kid beating up on a prime 25 year old WNBA all star.

If you look at the list of Oak Hill alumni.....it's not thaaaaaatt impressive. And many of those guys go on to pretty ho hum college careers.

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
I just had a hard time imagining a 16 year old kid beating up on a prime 25 year old WNBA all star.

If you look at the list of Oak Hill alumni.....it's not thaaaaaatt impressive. And many of those guys go on to pretty ho hum college careers.
I don't know what woman could defend Keldon Johnson. The men's game is so much more vertical (in terms of literally how high players can routinely get) that they're incomparable, really

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

I don't know what woman could defend Keldon Johnson. The men's game is so much more vertical (in terms of literally how high players can routinely get) that they're incomparable, really
Double teams.  Get Brad Stevens in there to teach defense.

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
I think it just takes a couple of mismatches to win the game and I've seen professional women play and I can't imagine them guarding the best high school players (I'm not familiar with the current Oak Hill team).

I believe the high level women's team could run circles around a high school team with passing and movement, but also be surprised at how quickly lost defenders can "catch up" assuming they hustle to do so.

Offline blackbird

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 64
Team USA

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Double teams.  Get Brad Stevens in there to teach defense.
Brad has made many players look better than they are. However, his coaching would only emphasise the enormous rebounding disparity that would already exist ;)

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
It's a different sport, but the US women's national soccer team played a U-15 boys high school team last year and lost 5-2.  I don't think an all WNBA team could beat a competitive boy's high school team.

https://www.cbssports.com/soccer/news/a-dallas-fc-under-15-boys-squad-beat-the-u-s-womens-national-team-in-a-scrimmage/

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
It's a different sport, but the US women's national soccer team played a U-15 boys high school team last year and lost 5-2.  I don't think an all WNBA team could beat a competitive boy's high school team.

https://www.cbssports.com/soccer/news/a-dallas-fc-under-15-boys-squad-beat-the-u-s-womens-national-team-in-a-scrimmage/
Woah. I didn't know that. I guess case closed

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

That isn't a real game though.  The women were just getting some burn for a real match.  I suspect if they actually tried it would have been a different result.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 306
I generally consider Oak Hill Academy the premiere boys high school team in the country. On the radio the other day they said the UConn women couldn't beat a boy's high school team.  I wanted to get the consensus on that.

UConn would have zero chance against a good high school team, much less a program like Oak Hill. Pat Summit used to have her Lady Vols practice against boys high school teams, and they'd get drubbed. They got crushed by boys intramural teams. She said once she not only wanted to do that for practice, but to make sure her girls stayed humble.

The US women's national soccer team plays against high school boys and gets destroyed. For some reason, politically correct fools don't want to acknowledge the differences between men and women, like the John McEnroe/Serena controversy. As Serena said, the men play a different game.

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen

That isn't a real game though.  The women were just getting some burn for a real match.  I suspect if they actually tried it would have been a different result.

Still, though, we're talking about an under 15 team!

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
The physical difference is just really remarkable. I realized it once playing a pick up game in college, when some members of the women's team showed up to play. I hadn't played organized ball since I was 14, but was always playing pickup. I got matched up with the leading scorer of the women's team. She knew where to be and how to play. Consistently back cutting me to the basket. But... I could give her two full strides and still catch up to her. She couldn't beat me to the basket. I closed out on her way quicker than she was expecting... and I wasn't going very quickly. She didn't even try to get by me on her own, sometimes faking a drive but immediately passing it along the perimeter. I really wasn't even trying and it was like playing against someone who wasn't good at basketball. But she was one of the best on her college team. It was eye opening.