Author Topic: Kyrie: "extension doesnt make sense until next year," talks lebron joining C's  (Read 3627 times)

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/23773489/kyrie-irving-says-signing-contract-extension-boston-celtics-make-sense

Celtics All-Star point guard Kyrie Irving said Tuesday that a contract extension this summer doesn't make sense for him and that while he's already bracing for the daily questions about his future, his sole focus is on getting healthy for next season and helping Boston take another step toward title contention.

"Contractually, financially, [an extension] just doesn't make any sense," Irving said.

Irving is eligible for a four-year, $107 million extension, but that would be $80 million less than what Irving could earn if he waits until the summer of 2019 and re-signs with Boston after opting out of the final year of his current pact.

"I think you guys can feel my attitude is really just redemption next year. Really integrating myself with our team again and really focus on winning a championship. That's the only thing I'm really worried about. Until I get to that point, then I can't really answer any questions. I'm pretty sure management and I will have a talk, but that talk won't happen now."

Later, Irving added, "The focus is solely on winning a championship next year. I don't think [impending free agency will] necessarily have an effect. I'm doing my best to kind of deflect all that and focus on what's in front of us."

"I could't be more proud of what [Boston's young players] experienced -- I mean they went to Game 7 of the frickin' Eastern Conference finals," Irving said with a playful shrug.

"For me, I'm just glad everyone got to learn how special they were on a bigger stage. I'd been talking about how great [the younger players] were. Some of their numbers probably didn't look as appealing to the outside-looker, but they were just -- they were always locked in. And then when they were afforded the opportunity to take the reins of the team, you saw them take full advantage of it. You saw guys that literally are going to be stars in this league for years to come."

Irving said his backup, Terry Rozier, proved he's an NBA starter but that "turns into an unbelievable dynamic" for Boston next season. He raved about Jaylen Brown and Jayson Tatum, then noted how Marcus Smart gave up his body and "that's the type of attitude and effort you'd love to be part of."

When he referenced Hayward, Irving smiled wide and added, "and now getting my man Gordon back -- I'm excited man. I'm excited
."

Irving didn't try to deflect when asked about James and the possibility that the Celtics could be a wild-card suitor if James opts out of the final year of his deal.

Irving did note that he hasn't had any conversations with Boston's front office about James and said he appreciates the transparency of team brass as they map out their future vision.

Asked whether he'd be open to reuniting with James, Irving said, "In this business, I've experienced it all and I've seen a lot, so we'll see what management decides."

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Celtics All-Star point guard Kyrie Irving said Tuesday that a contract extension this summer doesn't make sense for him and that while he's already bracing for the daily questions about his future, his sole focus is on getting healthy for next season and helping Boston take another step toward title contention.

"Contractually, financially, [an extension] just doesn't make any sense," Irving said.

Irving is eligible for a four-year, $107 million extension, but that would be $80 million less than what Irving could earn if he waits until the summer of 2019 and re-signs with Boston after opting out of the final year of his current pact.

"I think you guys can feel my attitude is really just redemption next year. Really integrating myself with our team again and really focus on winning a championship. That's the only thing I'm really worried about. Until I get to that point, then I can't really answer any questions. I'm pretty sure management and I will have a talk, but that talk won't happen now."

Later, Irving added, "The focus is solely on winning a championship next year. I don't think [impending free agency will] necessarily have an effect. I'm doing my best to kind of deflect all that and focus on what's in front of us."

"I could't be more proud of what [Boston's young players] experienced -- I mean they went to Game 7 of the frickin' Eastern Conference finals," Irving said with a playful shrug.

"For me, I'm just glad everyone got to learn how special they were on a bigger stage. I'd been talking about how great [the younger players] were. Some of their numbers probably didn't look as appealing to the outside-looker, but they were just -- they were always locked in. And then when they were afforded the opportunity to take the reins of the team, you saw them take full advantage of it. You saw guys that literally are going to be stars in this league for years to come."

Irving said his backup, Terry Rozier, proved he's an NBA starter but that "turns into an unbelievable dynamic" for Boston next season. He raved about Jaylen Brown and Jayson Tatum, then noted how Marcus Smart gave up his body and "that's the type of attitude and effort you'd love to be part of."

When he referenced Hayward, Irving smiled wide and added, "and now getting my man Gordon back -- I'm excited man. I'm excited."

Irving didn't try to deflect when asked about James and the possibility that the Celtics could be a wild-card suitor if James opts out of the final year of his deal.

Irving did note that he hasn't had any conversations with Boston's front office about James and said he appreciates the transparency of team brass as they map out their future vision.

Asked whether he'd be open to reuniting with James, Irving said, "In this business, I've experienced it all and I've seen a lot, so we'll see what management decides."

thanks

also video clip here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaeSHcJGUUQ

Reporters:  How is your movie coming along??
Kyrie: Well

Reporters: Ok ok thats nice 

Now for the real reason you are here:  Lebron, FA situation , attack attack ;D

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
He's right.
Win the championship, then go for the money.

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
TP thanks for posting.

Encouraging, and expected no less from him.

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
If he stays relatively healthy next year, I have zero hesitation giving him 5/188M.

I'm sure Kyrie would accept it too.

As for Lebron, let's be honest no one expects it to happen. I know I've created some Lebron threads here recently (including posting the actual report/Stephen A Smith quote) but that was more to add intrigue to this otherwise boring period before the Draft/FA  :laugh:

Just PLEASE don't go to Philadelphia, Lebron. Then I'll be fine  ;D

Also hopefully LAL doesn't actually find a way to add George, Lebron and EITHER Kawhi or CP3 (doubt it but still possible...)
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1361
Agree...back yourself to really get paid next summer and give us another year to see if he’s worth paying. If he leads us to a championship I think he would deserve as much as he can get.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
From the interview, I got the sense that he feels he needs to prove himself here and reintegrate with the current team and win a title before asking for the full max when eligible. He missed the playoffs, had two surgeries, and the team managed to go to game 7 of the ECF without him. It would be a bit pretentious after all that to say I want the full max regardless of what happens this season.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 08:47:44 PM by hpantazo »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
From the interview, I got the sense that he feels he needs to prove himself here and reintegrate with the current team and win a title before asking for the full max when eligible. He missed the playoffs, and two surgeries, and the team managed to go to game 7 of the ECF without him. It would be a bit pretentious after all that to say I want the full max regardless of what happens this season.
I like his attitude on display here
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
The bad news is that he really seems to care about money. The good news? He really cares about money - meaning he will likely want to take the 5 yr/$188M deal from us rather than a 4 yr/$140M deal from another team. At the very worst, we should expect him to sign and then force his way out. Getting no assets for Kyrie should he desire to move on would be pretty devastating.

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
The bad news is that he really seems to care about money. The good news? He really cares about money - meaning he will likely want to take the 5 yr/$188M deal from us rather than a 4 yr/$140M deal from another team. At the very worst, we should expect him to sign and then force his way out. Getting no assets for Kyrie should he desire to move on would be pretty devastating.

My concern is that he will want to sign a 2+1 player option deal so that he can get the 35% max as soon as he’s able in 2020.  That new deal would kick in as Jaylen’s new deal kicks in and we’re extending Tatum.  5 years at the 30% max would indeed be good news.

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 722
The bad news is that he cares more about money than he does his team
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
The bad news is that he cares more about money than he does his team

Name one NBA player that is willing to leave 90+ million on the table for the good of the team?

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 722
I could name a few - the point is more about his priorities.

Rather than saying how great the year has been in Boston and how much he wants to be a Celtic and is very optimistic about working out a contract to stay long-term - he talks about me, me, me in regards to his contract and his $$$$$.

I hope I am proved wrong about this guy, but he strikes me as being extremely self-centered.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale

Rather than saying how great the year has been in Boston and how much he wants to be a Celtic and is very optimistic about working out a contract to stay long-term - he talks about me, me, me in regards to his contract and his $$$$$.

I hope I am proved wrong about this guy, but he strikes me as being extremely self-centered.

Who? I really can't see any player giving up 90 million.

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale

He talked a lot about how great the young guys did going to game 7 of the EFC. He praised them a ton.

For him, it was not a great year personally. I would have been surprised if he said it was. He had 2 knee surgeries, missed the postseason, and then had a nasal surgery.