Author Topic: Why not the Clippers?  (Read 2614 times)

Why not the Clippers?
« on: June 12, 2018, 02:21:33 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
I read rumors of Lebron heading to LAL frequently, but not LAC. Why not?

If Lebron wants to build a business empire out of LA, why would he start with an already great franchise? Why go work for Magic when he can become Magic. If I were Steve Ballmer, I'd pay Lebron whatever he can to come in as a player and grow into an executive. The Clippers buzz would be bigger and louder than anything Chris Paul and Blake Griffin brought.

Lebron's businesses (like Durant's) should be able to run on their own (ie other people will crunch the numbers and make the products). I could see Lebron wanting to play, maybe coach, and even manage his own kid. He's solidified himself as a hero in Cleveland. No burned shirts this time.

Lebron's legacy improves greatly by bringing two down-and-out franchises to the promised land, while collecting two rings with Wade and Bosh.

Re: Why not the Clippers?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2018, 02:38:58 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
As someone pointed out in another thread, they still got the Donald Sterling vibes in that franchise thus gives it a bad post-taste.

And the Clippers will always be one step below the Lakers.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2018, 02:41:03 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
James will not play for Doc Rivers so unless they fire him, they have no shot at all at landing James, and even then I'd put their chances at basically 0 because they are the Clippers.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2018, 02:57:00 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
James will not play for Doc Rivers so unless they fire him, they have no shot at all at landing James, and even then I'd put their chances at basically 0 because they are the Clippers.
granted I agree their chances are 0 at getting Lebron but if it were a possibility and the only stumbling block was Doc, the Clips would ditch Doc in less than a heartbeat.

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2018, 03:03:25 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff

I don't think Doc, Donald Sterling, or any other person in the organization is relevant when it comes to Lebron. They will get rid of Deandre Jordan for 2 cents on the dollar if they can get Lebron and his carefully selected squad.

The only thing that matters is if Ballmer can sell Lebron on the Clippers. If not, it's a non-starter.

From a legacy standpoint, I see few other teams as being better for Lebron James. The Knicks are probably the other option.

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2018, 03:04:32 PM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
About a year ago, the Clippers brought in Jerry West, and Doc gave up the role of President. They might be getting their act together. The old regime is gone.

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2018, 03:12:51 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
granted I agree their chances are 0 at getting Lebron but if it were a possibility and the only stumbling block was Doc, the Clips would ditch Doc in less than a heartbeat.
And that is just a horrible look for James.  Talk about a coach killer and getting a coach fired.  They had to move on from Doc when the season ended.  They can't do it now. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2018, 03:20:11 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111
And that is just a horrible look for James.  Talk about a coach killer and getting a coach fired.  They had to move on from Doc when the season ended.  They can't do it now.

Pfft and what the heck is so great about Luke Walton? Don't you think if LeBron told Magic, I'll sign tomorrow but Luke has to be gone and you need to hire James Jones, that Magic would go to Luke's house and pack his stuff for him?

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2018, 03:27:01 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Already strong rumors brewing that Lebrons wife wants to go to LA

so...

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2018, 03:32:10 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2478
Clips don't have any stars to pair with James. And they don't have the the cap space or assets to get any, either.

Doc has stacked that team with bad contracts.

They are a dumpster fire.

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2018, 03:50:43 PM »

Offline Ed Hollison

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 195
I actually think their roster might fit Lebron well. They've got an elite big man in Deandre Jordan, they've got Lou Williams, they've got other scorers in Lou Williams/Gallinari/Rivers, they've got a defensive first guy in Patrick Beverley, and they've got a sprinkling of young guys. And Doc.

They also are in LA and don't have Lavar Ball.
"A thought of hatred must be destroyed by a more powerful thought of love."

http://fruittreeblog.com

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2018, 03:51:40 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111
Clips don't have any stars to pair with James. And they don't have the the cap space or assets to get any, either.

Doc has stacked that team with bad contracts.

They are a dumpster fire.

Yeah well the Lakers have cap space, but they don't have another star...yet. PG may be interested, depends on his OKC offer I'm sure..

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2018, 04:54:49 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Who cares where he goes as long as we beat him!

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2018, 04:59:48 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

Where was it reported that James would not play for Doc. I was not aware of this.

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2018, 05:58:52 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
So far I've read:

-Doc Rivers
-Donald Sterling
-Austin Rivers
-Lou Williams
-other big contracts

Do you guys honestly think that the Clippers couldn't figure out a strategy to overcome these things? You don't think Lebron can get guys like PG to work something out? Why would it make sense for Durant to be the only player in the NBA to take a discount?