Author Topic: Raptors to hire Assistant Nick Nurse  (Read 800 times)

Raptors to hire Assistant Nick Nurse
« on: June 12, 2018, 11:30:11 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Re: Raptors to hire Assistant Nick Nurse
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2018, 11:38:32 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/23770233/toronto-raptors-promote-assistant-nick-nurse-head-coach

promoting from within.  Seems like a strange move.
Right in line with firing Casey. They don't seem to have any idea what they're doing.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2018, 11:50:53 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/23770233/toronto-raptors-promote-assistant-nick-nurse-head-coach

promoting from within.  Seems like a strange move.
Right in line with firing Casey. They don't seem to have any idea what they're doing.

I thought the Casey firing was over reactive, but hiring from within is perfectly reasonable.  You have more information about him than any external candidate, and if that information speaks positively of him, then it could very well be good decision-making.

Ultimately most NBA coaches provide limited value over one another.  There are a few extremes at the positive end (Popovich most obviously, and I’d say Stevens too but we still have an insufficient sample).  The ones at the negative end generally aren’t hired or are gone so quickly that we can’t say for sure whether they were truly bad or unlucky.

So yeah, I wouldn’t have fired Casey because you weren’t likely going to get any better.  Knowing that you’re not going to do any better, however, it makes some sense to see if you can hit a home run with someone you have a lot of info on, and who is likely cheaper than the alternatives.

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2018, 12:09:02 PM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
Congrats to Nick Nurse. Seems a bit unusual these days, so good for him.

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2018, 12:13:19 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
The plan was to get Budenholzer, he just picked the Bucks over them. After that its just been looking around for who's best beyond that, clearly didn't love anyone and just went back to their standby option.